The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 30, 2019, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Video request: Utah State at St. Mary’s

Second half about 9 minutes remaining. Official Bob Staffen smashes into a Utah State player who has just made a steal.
Please post this sequence.

Dave Hall stopped the play and the ball was awarded to USU via the arrow after a video review.

I don’t agree with the decision. I have St. Mary’s ball according to POI.
Old Sat Nov 30, 2019, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

My first foray into posting clips. I have St. Mary's ball as well via POI. I think they saw it was Utah State's possession on the AP arrow and took the path of least resistance.

Old Sat Nov 30, 2019, 07:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Ouch. When Hall blew the play dead, St. Mary's had possession.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Nov 30, 2019, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Good reminder to not get too quick to go up the court during a possession change as new T.
Old Sat Nov 30, 2019, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Video not available.
Old Sat Nov 30, 2019, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Good reminder to not get too quick to go up the court during a possession change as new T.

I’m not going to be scared to hustle as new T when something like this happens once a decade. Poop just happens sometimes. Glad he was ok.

After that, this is a simple POI decision and I’m sad that they kicked such a simple rule. Reminds me of when I got scolded at a camp five years ago for not using the arrow in a similar situation. There are many veteran officials who still don’t fully understand the POI concept, and evidently many of them are D1 officials and camp clinicians (or both). Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Nov 30, 2019, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Video not available.
Need to follow the link on YouTube to see the vid because of its privacy settings.

It's not about fear of hustling. It's more about being able in position. No need to get that high that quickly.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2019, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post

It's not about fear of hustling. It's more about being able in position. No need to get that high that quickly.
I re-watched the video, and I can't find any fault in how the ref reacted other than be in his 50s. I'm 25, and while I can still juke, I'd likely clip the player on that steal.

What exactly do you want the Trail to do here? Utah gets the board and the ref waits to leave until the player starts to dribble up the court. A quick steal off a lazy pass and bam, Mr.Ragland Sleeves gets on ESPN.

I don't know if you work college, but they are pushing refs to be a step behind or even with the ball handler when they are coming up the court. It leads to situations like this, but if he doesn't do it, he might still end up on one of the training videos as "One of the refs who isn't following directions".
Old Sun Dec 01, 2019, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Video not available.
Sorry. I have it set to only be available if you have the link. I guess that means the embed doesn't work right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
I re-watched the video, and I can't find any fault in how the ref reacted other than be in his 50s. I'm 25, and while I can still juke, I'd likely clip the player on that steal.

What exactly do you want the Trail to do here? Utah gets the board and the ref waits to leave until the player starts to dribble up the court. A quick steal off a lazy pass and bam, Mr.Ragland Sleeves gets on ESPN.

I don't know if you work college, but they are pushing refs to be a step behind or even with the ball handler when they are coming up the court. It leads to situations like this, but if he doesn't do it, he might still end up on one of the training videos as "One of the refs who isn't following directions".
I feel like he was really far out on the court away from the sideline. If he stays wider he probably doesn't get hit by the player stealing the pass. Maybe that's just me.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2019, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I feel like he was really far out on the court away from the sideline. If he stays wider he probably doesn't get hit by the player stealing the pass. Maybe that's just me.
That’s my opinion as well. I believe that he should run diagonally towards the bench in order to reach an area near the sideline from which he could observe the action. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have quality mobility at his age and did what most officials who are older and slower do, start up court earlier and take the most direct path. This resulted in a disaster.

Secondly, there is the matter of resuming the game incorrectly.
Randy McCall has worked a couple of recent Final Fours. Dave Hall has been around forever and does about 120 D1 games each season. For them to kick the POI rule is totally inexcusable. There was no way to use the AP arrow in this situation. The restart is governed by POI. Either St. Mary’s had obtained control of the ball prior to the stoppage and thus should be awarded a throw-in or the ball was still loose, but last in control of the Utah State player who crashed into the official, and therefore, Utah State would be awarded a throw-in based upon POI. The AP arrow has nothing to do with this.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2019, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post

I can see being that close in non-pressured situations but if there is traffic or being contested, its not the spot to be.