The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Whistle Cleaning (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104814-whistle-cleaning.html)

MattReferee Sat Nov 23, 2019 01:31am

Whistle Cleaning

With Basketball season getting underway and the Constant usage of whistles I was wondering how does everyone clean their whistle? I carry 3 whistle and rotate them and let them air out at home I use the small dental floss stick with bristles to remove debris and warm water ...But I want to sanitize with all the Constant contact with Basketball and from different hands of players on and off the courts and germs🏀🙋🏼*♂️🤷*♂️

Nevadaref Sat Nov 23, 2019 04:57am

A well-known method is to soak them overnight in a mixture of water and mouthwash. This will soften or dissolve most of the gunk which accumulated and you may then simply rinse the whistles out with cold water.

Do not put them in the dishwasher! The heat will cause the sides to bulge and split open resulting in ruined and useless whistles.

ilyazhito Sat Nov 23, 2019 02:06pm

I wash my whistles in the sink with soap and water at the same time that I am washing my hands. I then shake out the excess water over the sink and let the whistles air dry. They are dry by the next day.

justaref61 Sat Nov 23, 2019 02:15pm

I thoroughly rinse my whistles with isopropyl alcohol after every use.

Camron Rust Sat Nov 23, 2019 05:03pm

I periodically soak mine overnight in 100% Listerine. You can rinse them briefly with water after taking them out of the Listerine if it leaves too strong of a taste for you.

Kills germs, tastes fresh.

DRJ1960 Sat Nov 23, 2019 06:02pm

I use the Dishwasher all the time... turn off the "heated dry".

BillyMac Sun Nov 24, 2019 05:32pm

Clean As A Whistle ...

Pressure washer.

When I pressure wash the vinyl siding on my house, I also pressure wash all my whistles.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy with my 2,000 p.s.i., 1.2 g.p.m. pressure washer.

zm1283 Sun Nov 24, 2019 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1035448)
I periodically soak mine overnight in 100% Listerine. You can rinse them briefly with water after taking them out of the Listerine if it leaves too strong of a taste for you.

Kills germs, tastes fresh.

I do this too.

I end up chewing the rubber mouth guard to pieces on all my whistles during the season, so I always buy two new ones before the start of the next year.

udbrky Mon Nov 25, 2019 03:53pm

I used denture soak tablets. Put the tablet in a bowl of water, dissolve, soak the whistle for a few hours, rinse well, let it dry.

udbrky Mon Nov 25, 2019 07:23pm

Saw this in an email the other day - Clean As A Whistle | Whistle Cleaner | Whistle Sanitizer| Alternate Method

Indianaref Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:43am

I clean them periodically in a cup of hydrogen peroxide

bob jenkins Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:06pm

I put them in my whistle bag after every game. Every two or three years, I get a new one, whether I need it or not.