The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA-M Double Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104806-ncaa-m-double-foul.html)

Zoochy Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:26pm

NCAA-M Double Foul

I was watching the last 5 minutes of Saint Louis University (SLU) vs Western (something). SLU is dribbling the ball about 5-10 feet into the Front court, right in front of the Trail Official. He blows the whistle and calls a Double foul in the 'Painted' area. Where is the ball put into play? Spot of foul? Or Location of Ball? The ball was in bounded by SLU on the end line.
It appeared to me that this official made a few calls outside his primary area during this last 5 minutes

Raymond Thu Nov 14, 2019 03:28pm

Based on your description, the throw-in should have been at the 28' line. Ball location/status determines the throw-in spot for double fouls.

ilyazhito Fri Nov 15, 2019 01:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 1035352)
I was watching the last 5 minutes of Saint Louis University (SLU) vs Western (something). SLU is dribbling the ball about 5-10 feet into the Front court, right in front of the Trail Official. He blows the whistle and calls a Double foul in the 'Painted' area. Where is the ball put into play? Spot of foul? Or Location of Ball? The ball was in bounded by SLU on the end line.
It appeared to me that this official made a few calls outside his primary area during this last 5 minutes

Point of interruption is what happened before the foul, and where the ball was when that happened. If play was interrupted with team control, then the ball will be placed at the nearest location to where the team with control had it when play was interrupted, under the same conditions that existed prior to play being interrupted. This is why SLU should get the ball back with the same amount of time on the shot clock as before at the 28' mark (the closest location to the point of interruption), not at the endline (the spot of the fouls).

JRutledge Fri Nov 15, 2019 02:47am

First play of the year (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WNOVeXR3Fqo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Raymond Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:09am

Tableside 28' line should have been the throw-in spot.

Zoochy Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:41am

:o

Jeff, Thanks for finding the play. The play happened a little outside the time frame under 5 minutes.
My apology to Eastern Washington, I called them Western something. :o
Can we also address the issue of calling your area. I realize the defender is not applying pressure on the dribbler, but Why is the Trail making this call? The C also has a whistle on the play. We don't know what he is calling. As I mentioned in the original post, I felt this official was expanding his 'Calling Area'.

Raymond Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 1035363)
Jeff, Thanks for finding the play. The play happened a little outside the time frame under 5 minutes.
Can we also address the issue of calling your area. I realize the defender is not applying pressure on the dribbler, but Why is the Trail making this call? The C also has a whistle on the play. We don't know what he is calling. As I mentioned in the original post, I felt this official was expanding his 'Calling Area'.

The Center's whistle came after the Trail was already beginning his double foul signal.

JRutledge Sat Nov 16, 2019 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 1035363)

Without seeing the game, I am going to suspect this was not the first time something with these players was involved. So it is very possible that this was a matchup that was causing issues. I have no issues with this matchup being looked at by the Trail as nothing is going on with the person with the ball. It did not even look like much, but one of those, "We are going to stop this mess" type of fouls.

Peace