The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA-M Contact Dead Ball TF Situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104805-ncaa-m-contact-dead-ball-tf-situation.html)

SC Official Wed Nov 13, 2019 09:51pm

NCAA-M Contact Dead Ball TF Situation

A1 is fouled in A's frontcourt and is entitled to a 1-and-1. Taking exception to the foul A1 shoves B1 and is assessed a contact dead ball technical foul (also in A's frontcourt/B's backcourt).

The administration is: A1 shoots 1-and-1, any B player shoots 2, then B gets a throw-in in its backcourt at the spot nearest the foul with the shot clock at :30, correct?

One of my compadres is convinced that B's throw-in is in B's frontcourt at the closest demarcation spot. That makes no sense to me, has no rules support, and I just want to make sure I'm not nuts.

(I know we have a thread on CDBTFs but I didn't want to revive it.)

Raymond Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:49pm

"RESUMPTION OF PLAY—For any technical foul(s), play shall resume at the point of interruption using the procedures in Rule 7-3.2 including for a single flagrant 2 technical foul or a single contact dead ball technical foul (Art. 1.e through .k)."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ilyazhito Tue Nov 19, 2019 01:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1035343)
A1 is fouled in A's frontcourt and is entitled to a 1-and-1. Taking exception to the foul A1 shoves B1 and is assessed a contact dead ball technical foul (also in A's frontcourt/B's backcourt).

The administration is: A1 shoots 1-and-1, any B player shoots 2, then B gets a throw-in in its backcourt at the spot nearest the foul with the shot clock at :30, correct?

One of my compadres is convinced that B's throw-in is in B's frontcourt at the closest demarcation spot. That makes no sense to me, has no rules support, and I just want to make sure I'm not nuts.

(I know we have a thread on CDBTFs but I didn't want to revive it.)

That is correct. 7-3.2 and the 4 spots only apply if a team will gain possession in its frontcourt following a foul or violation by its opponents. Since the spot of the foul by A (and therefore the spot where B will get possession) is in B's backcourt, B gets a throw-in at the spot nearest the foul with the shot clock reset to 30 seconds following all the free throws.

SC Official Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:04am

My issue with the rules using "point of interruption" for this situation is that POI is supposed to refer to the team that was entitled to a throw-in. Since dead ball contact T's include possession to the offended team then using POI isn't really accurate.

Raymond Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1035409)
My issue with the rules using "point of interruption" for this situation is that POI is supposed to refer to the team that was entitled to a throw-in. Since dead ball contact T's include possession to the offended team then using POI isn't really accurate.

Totally agree. It's a misuse of the term POI. They should add proper wording such as "designated spot throw-in to offended team nearest the POI" or something to that effect.

spret93 Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:41am

So is it a spot throw-in to the offended team nearest to the spot of the CDB technical foul, or nearest to the spot of the POI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakeas2 Fri Nov 22, 2019 04:20pm

Technical Foul Resumption of Play

Rule 10-3 Art 1 & 2 states as follows for resumption of play, "For any technical foul(s), play shall resume at the point of interruption.. including for a single flagrant 2 technical or single contact dead ball technical foul. However, in the back of the book, Appendix IV Foul/Penalty Chart, it states that for a flagrant 2 technical and contact dead ball technical that the resumption of play is a throw-in to the offended team at the designated spot."

Which is correct? They seem to contradict each other. Or am I missing/misreading something?

SC Official Fri Nov 22, 2019 05:25pm

CDB and F2 technical fouls still include possession to the offended team. However now the throw-in is either at the nearest demarcation spot (if the TF occurred in the offended team's frontcourt) or the spot nearest the foul (if the TF occurred in the offended team's backcourt). It is not a true POI situation since possession is included as part of the penalty.

Unfortunately Rule 10 does not make this change clear. The intent was to standardize the throw-in spot, not take away the automatic possession for the offended team. The writers misused "point of interruption" in the Rule 10 penalty statement making it seem like all technical fouls are now treated the same.