The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hope It's Not a Sign (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104786-hope-its-not-sign.html)

RefsNCoaches Wed Nov 06, 2019 08:50am

Hope It's Not a Sign

GJV opener last night...

73-1 :confused:

Could be a long season....NFHS needs to adopt a running clock rule for basketball.

JRutledge Wed Nov 06, 2019 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches (Post 1035151)
GJV opener last night...

73-1 :confused:

Could be a long season....NFHS needs to adopt a running clock rule for basketball.

They already did in a sense. It is up to your state to adopt what they actually want to do with the current "mercy rule."

Peace

RefsNCoaches Wed Nov 06, 2019 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1035153)
They already did in a sense. It is up to your state to adopt what they actually want to do with the current "mercy rule."

Peace

Rut, you work some games in Indiana, right? I'm just south of Indy...It's time man...that was was ugly last night. Easy money but the eye exam is going eat up that game check! :D

Oh well, they'll live to play another one, I'll ref again...

JRutledge Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches (Post 1035154)
Rut, you work some games in Indiana, right? I'm just south of Indy...It's time man...that was was ugly last night. Easy money but the eye exam is going eat up that game check! :D

Oh well, they'll live to play another one, I'll ref again...

I live in Indiana (5 minutes or less from the Illinois border) actually. That being said, Illinois has a mercy rule for all regular season games that applies to 30 points leads in the 4th quarter. So the NF already has a rule, the IHSAA has to adopt one for their games. I do not work a lot of girls games, so very rare to get that kind of score you referenced. Heck even the 30 point rule might of happened once last year in a game I was officiating.

Peace

BillyMac Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:22am

Existing NFHS Remedies Without State Approval ...

Quote:

GJV opener last nigh t.. 73-1 ... NFHS needs to adopt a running clock rule for basketball.

5-5-3: A quarter(s) may be shortened in an emergency or at any time
by mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee. Playing time
and number of quarters for nonvarsity game quarters may be reduced by
mutual agreement of opposing coaches.

No running time, but there are some NFHS remedies that need not get state association approval.

This was a nonvarsity game, could have skipped some periods, and/or reduced the time in some periods. Don't need the permission of the state association, and in fact, don't even need the approval of the referee, just the two head coaches have to agree.

If it were a varsity game, one can't reduce the number of periods, but one can reduce the time in the periods. Don't need the permission of the state association, just need the approval of the two head coaches and the referee.

Raymond Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:02am

Quote:

GJV opener last night...

....NFHS needs to adopt a running clock rule for basketball.

Your state can do that. Virginia has (with some stipulations).

ilyazhito Thu Nov 07, 2019 03:19am

It's weird that the 30-point rule is a district-by-district thing, and not a statewide adoption.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Nov 07, 2019 02:33pm

The OhioHSAA has a Mercy Rule but it only applies in the post-season tournament but not in regular season games.

MTD, Sr.