The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NJCAA Mens -- 3 Point Arc (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104785-njcaa-mens-3-point-arc.html)

bob jenkins Wed Nov 06, 2019 08:40am

NJCAA Mens -- 3 Point Arc

Asking for a local JuCO -- is NJCAA Men's using the new, farther, 3-point line this season, or are they using the older line (same as NCAAW), or does it vary by conference / school, or something else.

References (that I can copy and paste to the school) appreciated.

JRutledge Wed Nov 06, 2019 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1035150)
Asking for a local JuCO -- is NJCAA Men's using the new, farther, 3-point line this season, or are they using the older line (same as NCAAW), or does it vary by conference / school, or something else.

References (that I can copy and paste to the school) appreciated.

No, they are going to the newer line next year as the rules change was only for Division 1. All lower-level college is staying with the older line for now. I thought there was some literature on this, but I cannot seem to find it directly about JUCO.

Peace

ilyazhito Thu Nov 07, 2019 03:17am

The rulebook says that the new 3-point line is in effect for Division I this season, but not for the other divisions. It will be in effect in 2020-21.

bob jenkins Thu Nov 07, 2019 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1035175)
The rulebook says that the new 3-point line is in effect for Division I this season, but not for the other divisions. It will be in effect in 2020-21.

NCAA D1 or NJCAA D1? Has any NAIA adopted it?

SC Official Thu Nov 07, 2019 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1035180)
NCAA D1 or NJCAA D1? Has any NAIA adopted it?

NCAA D1.

Generally any rule change that isn't in effect for D2/D3 until a later year also isn't in effect for the NAIA or NJCAA until that same time.

ilyazhito Thu Nov 07, 2019 09:41am

The NCAA rulebook does not directly mention junior college or NAIA, so any time it refers to Division I, Division II, or Division III, such as with the 3-point line or testing the rings, it refers to NCAA Division I, etc. As SC Official mentioned, junior colleges follow the timeline for lower divisions. NAIA also follows the timeline for lower divisions when it comes to adopting changes.

bob jenkins Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1035182)
The NCAA rulebook does not directly mention junior college or NAIA,

Right, so quoting it / referencing it does not answer the OP.

A couple of years ago, the NJCAA portal on Arbiter had something like the below for differences. I was looking for something similar that referenced this year's differences (if any), and especially for the three-point line.

10/3/2017
Men’s Basketball Rule Changes (2017-18 & 2018-19) & NJCAA Differences

The NJCAA uses NCAA playing rules for the sport of men’s basketball. The NJCAA approved the implementation of the recent NCAA rule changes for men’s basketball for the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons. However, the NJCAA does have a few exceptions to the current NCAA rules for men’s basketball:

1. The NJCAA does not permit dunking during both pregame and halftime warmups. Penalty for dunking during pre-game or halftime of any regular or post-season game is a Class B technical foul which results in one free throw awarded to any member of the offended team.

2. NJCAA Sportsmanship Rules are to be followed and enforced during any NJCAA contest. The NJCAA Sportsmanship Rules enforce more severe penalties than the NCAA men’s basketball rulebook.

JRutledge Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:11am

All rules are made for the NCAA directly. NAIA and JUCO can choose to use whatever rules they feel are acceptable. Usually, court diagram changes often do not apply to the year the rule was changed because there is a feeling that those schools do not have the money to change the court within a reasonable time frame. This is what happened when the RA to the NCAA Rule. There were JUCO and NAIA courts that could not even get the RA on the floor and we were asked to literally just kind of know where they were located (yes that was a policy). Even the pre-game dunking rules are different. It is a Technical foul at the JUCO level and it is discouraged in many NAIA levels or conferences.

Peace