The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The New in the NFHS 2019-20 Casebook (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104685-new-nfhs-2019-20-casebook.html)

Freddy Thu Aug 15, 2019 04:35pm

The New in the NFHS 2019-20 Casebook

Arrived in the mail from NFHS today.
Just waded through the 80 or so "shadings" of rules references in the new casebook. Ugh. Only about 10 newly added or significantly revised references are included in this year's book. The other 70 or so shaded paragraphs are, frankly, irrelevant and distractive.
As the NFHS did with the rules book, they "freckled" the text of the entire casebook with 60-70 complete citations that they totally shaded only for the sake of the relatively insignificant addition of the term "free throw" prior to the occurrences of the words "lane" and "lane spaces" and the term "for field goal" in conjunction with the term "try" or "tap." All totally inconsequential and quite distracting.
Sadly, for many officials this year, the few substantive changes that are in the text will be totally lost in the overwhelming number of shaded references that consist of no substantive change whatsoever except for insignificant minor wording.
Several shaded citations aren't changed or revised at all.
In a couple of instances the previously incorrect rule reference was corrected. A couple of "low hanging fruit" corrections they could have easily made weren't touched.
Anyway, report on significant changes to note when you receive your new casebook should be appearing here tomorrow. The list I intend to compile will make your study of the new casebook easier, I'm hoping.

BillyMac Thu Aug 15, 2019 06:27pm

Thank God Freddy's Not Dead ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 1034034)
... report on significant changes to note when you receive your new casebook should be appearing here tomorrow. The list I intend to compile will make your study of the new casebook easier, I'm hoping.

Thanks Freddy.

Shouldn't NFHS Annual Interpretations be out soon?

I check the NFHS website a few times a week but so far nothing.

Freddy Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1034038)

The annual NFHS Interpretations seem lately to have become a follow-up document in response to the previously announced and released rule changes, unannounced changes in the new rulebook and casebook, POE’s and Comments on the Rules, a sort of apologetic clarification to errors, omissions, and misstatements made in what was just recently issued. With the number of significant rules changes scant, and the magnitude of this year's POE's comparatively paltry, the perceived need for the kind of extensive Interpretations most recently published seems to be nil. That's one explanation for why this year's annual Interpretations seem to be a month or two late. Either that or no officials requested clarification on any rules and situations this off-season. Either that our the rules are now so clear and indisputable that no person could possibly possess any sort of misunderstanding over how they are to be interpreted.

BillyMac Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:33am

No More Need, Turn Out The Lights And Shut Down The Basketball Forum ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 1034040)
... our the rules are now so clear and indisputable that no person could possibly possess any sort of misunderstanding over how they are to be interpreted.

Yeah. That's it. Right. Sure.

(Freddy: I was unaware that Michigan legalized marijuana.)

Freddy Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:22pm

Substantive Casebook Changes

Relatively few this season. Those interested can decide if they're really all that significant. Those not interested probably won't care. :cool:

3.5.4B re. Prewrap -- clarified that color of prewrap headband is "based on the original unaltered state"
3.5.5 re. Rolled Waistbands -- new to accomodate new rule allowing them
4.12.1A re. Player Control Foul -- erroneous 7-5-3a reference changed to 7-5-4a
7.1.1B re. OOB then Dribble -- new references 4-15-3, 4-15-4 added
9.1.1 re. Muff at FT Line -- changed "habitual dribbles" to "pre-shot routine"
10.4.4 re. Contacting the Backboard -- erroneous 10-4-3 reference changed to 10-4-4
10.4.10D re. Reaching Though Boundary -- erroneous 10-2-5c reference changed to 10-2-1c
10.5.5A re. Fights -- added "assistant coaches"
(Clumsy wording in 4.19.3E still not corrected)
(8.1.4B re. Delay on FT -- erroneous 10-4-5 reference which should be 10-2-1b, a Team Technical, not changed yet)
No citations from last season were deleted.

BillyMac Sat Aug 17, 2019 06:18pm

Gray Headbands ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 1034055)
3.5.4B re. Prewrap -- clarified that color of prewrap headband is "based on the original unaltered state".

I'm normally the stickler in the crew regarding fashion issues, but I've had a few partners who would quibble about gray prewrap headbands. I had to explain to them that the prewrap was originally black until it was stretched around a head. Same issue with pink/red.

BillyMac Mon Aug 19, 2019 02:51pm

Annual Interpretations ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1034038)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 1034040)
... explanation for why this year's annual Interpretations seem to be a month or two late.

Last year's NFHS Annual Interpretations were dated October 10, 2018.