The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The New in the NFHS 2019-20 Rules Book (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104671-new-nfhs-2019-20-rules-book.html)

Freddy Mon Aug 05, 2019 07:00pm

The New in the NFHS 2019-20 Rules Book

Just arrived from "www.nfhs.com" today. Cursory overview confirms all announced new and revised rules are included and shaded. Will report tomorrow on whatever unannounced changes and revisions are lurking within.

One interesting tidbit that might either intrigue you or annoy you: the word "shall", as it appeared 386 times in the text in previous years, has been replaced with the shaded word "must." :confused: Haven't delved into it enough to discern any linguistic or didactic significance at this point. Just a whole lot of single shaded "must" dotted throughout the booklet. Kinda like freckles all over a barely suntanned body.

Further report tomorrow . . .

Freddy Tue Aug 06, 2019 07:01am

Further . . .

All previously announced changes are accounted for:
3-5-4b, 3" headbands
3-5-5, rolled shorts allowed
9-9-1 EXCEPTION, expanded
10-5-5 NOTE, assistant coaches allowed to break up fights
Held Ball signal #3, now with #1 stop-clock signal added to it

I don't want to appear to be an Anti-Dentite, but the specifics of the new mouthguard rule require an orthodontist degree to understand it fully. :rolleyes:
"OK, open up everyone. Let me check to be sure that your intraoral tooth protector includes a labial portion and covers the posterior teeth with adequate thickness, protecting the anterior dental arch." :confused:

Besides "must" replacing the 386 times the word "shall" used to appear, the word "goal" is now preceeded each time by the word "field". Apparently there was some confusion whether or not we were officiating hockey or basketball. Now there will be confusion whether we are officiating basketball or football. :p

No other unannounced changes of any significance that I could detect, either shaded or unshaded. Would be interestested if there's some of any consequence that I missed.

BillyMac Wed Aug 07, 2019 08:37am

Extra, Extra, Read All About It ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 1033884)
... the word "shall", as it appeared 386 times in the text in previous years, has been replaced with the shaded word "must."

In a related story, the title of the song, "Shall We Dance", as sung by Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner in the 1956 film, "The King and I", has been changed to "Must We Dance".

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Q...=0&w=330&h=186

It's true. It's true.

BillyMac Wed Aug 07, 2019 09:45am

Freddy's Not Dead ...

Thanks Freddy.

Kansas Ref Thu Aug 15, 2019 04:33pm

"OK, open up everyone. Let me check to be sure that your intraoral tooth protector includes a :eek:and covers the posterior teeth with adequate thickness, protecting the anterior dental arch." :confused:

Fairly graphic!

Kansas Ref Thu Aug 15, 2019 04:34pm

[

"OK, open up everyone. Let me check to be sure that your intraoral tooth protector includes a labial portion and covers the posterior teeth with adequate thickness, protecting the anterior dental arch." :confused:

Indeed fairly graphic!

Freddy Thu Aug 15, 2019 06:08pm

I don't write 'em, I only report 'em.

"The labial is the surface of an anterior tooth that faces toward the lips. Buccal. The buccal is the surface of a posterior tooth that faces toward the cheek. Lingual .The surface of a tooth facing toward the tongue is called the lingual."

BillyMac Thu Aug 15, 2019 06:24pm

Appropriate ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 1034036)
"The labial is the surface of an anterior tooth that faces toward the lips. Buccal. The buccal is the surface of a posterior tooth that faces toward the cheek. Lingual. The surface of a tooth facing toward the tongue is called the lingual."

Take it over to the Dentist Forum.

Where's a moderator when you need one?