The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Some Summer Rules Fun. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104661-some-summer-rules-fun.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jul 24, 2019 02:17pm

Some Summer Rules Fun.

During the Summer months the Rules Interpreter of the Wood County Basketball Officials Association will post a play every week on our Facebook page (as a former RI, I am required to wait at least two days before I am allowed to comment, :p). Two weeks ago he posted a play that I thought was a good one and I am posting here for your enjoyment.

PLAY: A1 shoots a 3-Point FGA. A1's FGA is a Set-Shot. A1 is fouled by B1 after A1 has released the Ball.

Situation #1a: A1's FGA is not successful and Team A is not in the Bonus.

Situation #1b: A1's FGA is not successful and Team A is in the Bonus.

Situation #2a: A1's FGA is successful and Team A is not in the Bonus.

Situation #2b: A1's FGA is successful and Team A is in the Bonus.

RULINGS: What say you?

For those who are wondering, A1 is actually famed Villanova University PG, Louis "Red" Klotz.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. For added fun and to get everyone involved, lets get the proper rulings per NFHS, NCAA Men's, NCAA Women's, NBA, WNBA, and FIBA.

BillyMac Wed Jul 24, 2019 03:25pm

Alphabet Soup ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1033737)
PLAY: A1 shoots a 3-Point FGA. A1's FGA is a Set-Shot. A1 is fouled by B1 after A1 has released the Ball.

Can we assume that A1 is not an airborne shooter when fouled?

NFHS 4-41-1: The act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne shooter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1033737)
For added fun and to get everyone involved, lets get the proper rulings per NFHS, NCAA Men's, NCAA Women's, NBA, WNBA, and FIBA.

You forgot the PTA and NAACP.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XJWT1_YTlb...0/redklotz.jpg

Camron Rust Wed Jul 24, 2019 03:45pm

Since A1 executed a "set shot", meaning A1 didn't jump, A1's act of shooting ends on the release. Thus, any foul occurring after A1 releases the ball on such a shot is not a shooting foul. Additionally, a try that is released remains live on a foul by the defense and is counted if it goes in. Even though the foul occurred before the ball went in, the penalty for the foul is administered as if it were after the shot.

Therefore, 3 points for A if the shot goes, 0 if it does not. Then move to the foul administration: Ball to A if not in the bonus or 1+1 for A1 if in the bonus.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jul 24, 2019 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1033739)
I updated the question numbers since you had duplicates.

Since A1 executed a "set shot", meaning A1 didn't jump, A1's act of shooting ends on the release. Thus, any foul occurring after A1 releases the ball on such a shot is not a shooting foul. Additionally, a try that is released remains live on a foul by the defense and is counted if it goes in. Even though the foul occurred before the ball went in, the penalty for the foul is administered as if it were after the shot.

Therefore, 2 points for A if the shot goes, 0 if it does not. Then move to the foul administration: Ball to A if not in the bonus or 1+1 for A1 if in the bonus.

Camron:

Thanks for catching that typo mistake. I have corrected the OP. But it was a 3-Point FGA.

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Wed Jul 24, 2019 06:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1033740)
Camron:

Thanks for catching that typo mistake. I have corrected the OP. But it was a 3-Point FGA.

MTD, Sr.

You're right....I've fixed my answer to reflect that. Of course, that really wan't the point of the question, but still, gotta get it right!

AremRed Wed Jul 24, 2019 08:35pm

This thread has made my “Top 5 Most Pointless Threads on The Forum” list. Right up there with potato’s travel thread and Freddy’s “how do you define strong side” thread. Still love you Freddy!

Raymond Wed Jul 24, 2019 09:56pm

A colorblind person like myself can't even read the scenarios.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1033742)
This thread has made my “Top 5 Most Pointless Threads on The Forum” list. Right up there with potato’s travel thread and Freddy’s “how do you define strong side” thread. Still love you Freddy!

Why was it pointless? Actually, this was a good scenario to refresh Rule 4 (NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's). It is these pointless plays that can get us in trouble when we forget our definitions. I would use these pointless plays to teach my student officials how several definitions can apply to one play.

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Thu Jul 25, 2019 01:13am

Quote:

You mean understanding act of shooting, scoring, and administering penalties in the order of occurrence is pointless?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jul 25, 2019 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1033738)
Can we assume that A1 is not an airborne shooter when fouled?

NFHS 4-41-1: The act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne shooter.

You forgot the PTA and NAACP.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XJWT1_YTlb...0/redklotz.jpg

Fun Facts (especially for you Billy and thank you for the "Red" Klotz poster):

1) For those who are wondering: No I never officiating any of Red's games.

2) There is a gentleman who is a teacher and varsity baseball coach in the Toledo Public School District, and is an OhioHSAA basketball official and both Mark, Jr., and I have officiated with him. His two sons are the same age as my two sons, and he and I coached their YMCA basketball teams together up until they entered JrHS. Our sons played baseball on different youth teams and for different high schools. He played his H.S. basketball here in Toledo and his college basketball at College of Holy Cross (the same Holy Cross where Bob Cousy and Tom Heinsohn of the Boston Celtics played their college basketball). After graduating from Holy Cross he went on to play for four years for "Red" Klotz and the Washington Generals as a small forward.

To quote Bill Nye the Science Guy: "Now you know!"

MTD, Sr.

Freddy Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:22am

Quote:

Pointless? Pointless? Was it pointless when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 1033747)
Pointless? Pointless? Was it pointless when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Freddy:

I love it! Animal House: great movie.

Here is the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zc0BI7T1LA

MTD, Sr.