The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

See http://www.nfhs.org
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 11:47am
In Memoriam

Note #7. That takes care of that debate. If a defender is standing on an OOB line when contact occurs, it's a block.

http://www.nfhs.org/sports/basketball_interp.htm

Thanks,Bob.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I think we also had a long discussion about a team with only one player left not being able to occupy both low lane spaces. Tony got that one right.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Tony got that one right.
We could just save the NFHS and everyone else a lot of time and trouble if we'd just put Tony in charge of interps and take his opinion as final!!
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 01:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink LOL!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
We could just save the NFHS and everyone else a lot of time and trouble if we'd just put Tony in charge of interps and take his opinion as final!!

Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I'm not sure, but I think Tony was on the wrong side of the "inbounder never steps completely OOB before releasing throw-in" debate. In fact, I only remember one person who interpreted that situation the same way as the FED. . .
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure, but I think Tony was on the wrong side of the "inbounder never steps completely OOB before releasing throw-in" debate. In fact, I only remember one person who interpreted that situation the same way as the FED. . .
But his point of view was valid and reasonable. The final outcome of that "never stepped completely OOB" thing could have gone either way as far as rationale went. There wasn't one way that was clearly less reasonable. Why not just skip the committee meetings, the questions, the discussion, the hostility and have one Interp Czar who rules by fiat? Course the board wouldn't be nearly as much fun...
Old Sun Oct 19, 2003, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Nah, Tony was right...the fed got it wrong.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2003, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think we also had a long discussion about a team with only one player left not being able to occupy both low lane spaces. Tony got that one right.
Will this now also mean a team of 1 player can inbound to him/herself - I tend to read that interp such that a 1 player team can't be penalized for anything that would normally require 2 or more players.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

The specific situation said the team with one player was winning by 8 points with 36 seconds to play "and had a chance to win the game." It said nothing about breaking any rules. After a made basket, the player could inbound the ball to the other team and then play defense. He could rebound a missed shot, steal a pass, dribble, shoot, etc. and hope the other team does not score 8 points in the time remaining.

The only thing this interpretation does is state the obvious: one player cannot occupy two lane spaces.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Will this now also mean a team of 1 player can inbound to him/herself - I tend to read that interp such that a 1 player team can't be penalized for anything that would normally require 2 or more players.