The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Sasquatch play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104549-sasquatch-play.html)

Kansas Ref Mon Apr 29, 2019 04:12pm

Sasquatch play

I will call this a "Sasquatch play" because it occurs so infrequently [and unexpectedly] that I feel this to be an appropriate rubric.
This play occurred in a youth tournament I worked on Saturday. I believe I got the call right; however, my partner expressed question/disagreement and said a re-jump betw A1 and B1 should've occurred. I remembered reading the case book back in January where I first saw this play--and wow it finally paid off this wknd. I convinced him to go with the cited resolution, and he disdainfully agreed. Nevertheless...
Please see "2018-2019 NF Casebook p. 50, 6.4.1 Situation C, event # (c)".

Have any of you'all ever encountered this situation (have you seen the Sasquatch;) ?

SNIPERBBB Mon Apr 29, 2019 07:02pm

Within my first few years of officiating, I saw this beast.

bob jenkins Tue Apr 30, 2019 07:08am

I've seen it a couple of times in HS and in College.

Note that your partner had the right ruling for NCAAW (well, it isn't required that A1 and B1 re-jump, but that's how it has always worked out in this and similar situations).

Raymond Tue Apr 30, 2019 08:29am

For those who don't have immediate access to the case book:

6.4.1 SITUATION C:
Following the jump between A1 and B1 to start the first quarter, the jump ball: (a) is touched by A2 and it then goes out of bounds; (b) is touched simultaneously by A2 and B2 and it then goes out of bounds; (c) is simultaneously controlled by A2 and B2; or (d) is caught by A1.

RULING: In (a), Team B will have a throw-in. The alternating-possession procedure is established and the arrow is set toward A's basket when a player of Team B has the ball for the throw-in. Team A will have the first opportunity to throw-in when the procedure is used. In (b) and (c), A2 and B2 will jump in the center restraining *circle *regardless of where the ball went out or where the held ball occurred. In (d), Team B will have a throw-in because of the violation and the arrow for the alternating-possession will be pointed towards Team A's basket. (4-12-1, 4-28-1)

Raymond Tue Apr 30, 2019 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1032587)
I've seen it a couple of times in HS and in College.

Note that your partner had the right ruling for NCAAW (well, it isn't required that A1 and B1 re-jump, but that's how it has always worked out in this and similar situations).

For NCAA-M, it's any 2 players may re-jump.

Valley Man Tue Apr 30, 2019 08:57am

I had this play the first year I officiated probably 8 games in during a JV game. The 2 point guards were A2 and B2. I pointed to those 2 to re-jump. Both coaches were like WTH??? I said trust me I am 100% right.

BillyMac Tue Apr 30, 2019 09:58am

Always A First Time ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 1032590)
The 2 point guards were A2 and B2. I pointed to those 2 to re-jump.

Had it in a girls game this past season. Both point guards had never been a jumper before, scholastic, travel, recreation, camp, AAU, etc.

I've had this play several times over the past almost forty years. It's probably not as rare as some believe.

BillyMac Tue Apr 30, 2019 04:31pm

The Indians Have ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 1032585)
I will call this a "Sasquatch play" because it occurs so infrequently … have you seen the Sasquatch?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.04b351ebad4d

Freddy Tue Apr 30, 2019 06:15pm

Sasquatches are Commoner Than You'd Think

Not all that uncommon around here. The occasion to do what I call "A Real Rejump" happens enough that it's taught each preseason and occasionally shows up on a state rules exam now and then.

Here's one recent example: Wrong Rejumpers

The most memorable occurrence of this situation I recall happened about 8 years ago. It featured the tipped jump ball bounding waaaaay back near an endline where a 5'4" guard tied the ball up with about a 6'7" opponent. Of course, the coach of the shorter player insisted the rejump be between the original two jumpers. Of course, the other coach was happy as we insisted on the correct adjudication.