The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

2019 Nat Ch Game video request thread

12:09 remaining in the first half.
VA #5 Kyle Guy makes a 3pt shot.
Please clip the replay which is shown before the broadcast goes to commercial break for the under 12 minute media timeout.
This move is a clear travel. The ballhandler comes inside the 3pt arc while dribbling and plants his right foot, which is his lead or forward foot. He lifts his left foot and begins to step backward (behind the 3pt line) with this foot). At this time he ends his dribble by grasping the ball with both hands. His right foot or plant foot, which he will use to push off and propel his body backward is still on the floor when the dribble is ended. This is the problem. For after allowing his left foot to land outside the 3pt line, he pushes himself backward with his right foot and now brings that foot up into the air and back down again behind the 3pt line before rising for a jumpshot. That is picking up the pivot foot and returning it to the floor.
If this action is allowed, the defender has no chance of guarding the offensive player. I hope that this play makes the NCAA video for this Summer. It is a clear travel and the offensive player gains a big advantage by creating open space for his shot. Perhaps officials are calling this violation because the movement is backwards and away from the basket while we have been used to travels which gain an advantage being towards the basket as a player goes by or around a defender.
I believe that this is a very instructive play which should be used for training.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Note: for the above described move to be legal, the player would have to keep the dribble going until the right foot leaves the floor.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

A similar move is done, more in a sideways direction, by Texas Tech #1 with 3:18 remaining in the first half.
This was also an uncalled traveling violation.

It is my understanding that these moves are allowed in the NBA because the rule is different. Perhaps people are watching too many NBA games and these moves have begun to look normal to them instead of our mind recognizing this action as a traveling violation.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Apr 09, 2019 at 02:37am.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Wow, what a well-officiated game! Tons of credit to the guys who were on the court. Even the video reviews were handled well and quickly.
There is very little to criticize and only a couple of plays to discuss.
I will add one more play on the traveling theme to the above two.
I am interested in people’s thoughts on the spin move by Texas Tech with about 40 seconds left in the second half. We all know that this play depends upon when the dribble is ended. If the dribble stops with his left foot on the floor, he cannot pick that foot up and put it back down again. So what are the opinions of those on here?

Not certain when this play occurred, but I believe that it was early in the overtime period. The play is an offensive rebound by VA. A defensive foul was called quickly after. Did the defender do anything wrong? Seems that he is the one who has his arm held.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 09:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

There was a play near the end of the second half where a player got an offensive rebound and cleared space with some creative footwork I'd love to see again. I wish I had noted the time, but I was in a bar after a school board meeting and just didn't.

Also there was a key no call on a possible block/charge near the end of regulation (I think) I'd love to look at again.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Please clip the replay which is shown before the broadcast goes to commercial break for the under 12 minute media timeout.
This move is a clear travel. The ballhandler comes inside the 3pt arc while dribbling and plants his right foot, which is his lead or forward foot. He lifts his left foot and begins to step backward (behind the 3pt line) with this foot). At this time he ends his dribble by grasping the ball with both hands. His right foot or plant foot, which he will use to push off and propel his body backward is still on the floor when the dribble is ended. This is the problem. For after allowing his left foot to land outside the 3pt line, he pushes himself backward with his right foot and now brings that foot up into the air and back down again behind the 3pt line before rising for a jumpshot. That is picking up the pivot foot and returning it to the floor.
If this action is allowed, the defender has no chance of guarding the offensive player. I hope that this play makes the NCAA video for this Summer. It is a clear travel and the offensive player gains a big advantage by creating open space for his shot. Perhaps officials are calling this violation because the movement is backwards and away from the basket while we have been used to travels which gain an advantage being towards the basket as a player goes by or around a defender.
I believe that this is a very instructive play which should be used for training.
Agree with you here. The key in officiating this play that we will call the "stepback" is when the feet land. Correct me if I am wrong but with his right foot being is pivot foot he can jump back wards off that foot and land simultaneously on both feet and then put the up shot. As it was done landing one foot and then the other is a travel.

A better official videos had a great breakdown of this play and what makes it legal vs illegal. As you stated the NBA rule is different in what I believe they call the 0 step which makes it a legal play under that rule set.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There was a play near the end of the second half where a player got an offensive rebound and cleared space with some creative footwork I'd love to see again. I wish I had noted the time, but I was in a bar after a school board meeting and just didn't.

Also there was a key no call on a possible block/charge near the end of regulation (I think) I'd love to look at again.
I believe you are referring to Tariq Owens 5th foul that happened with 5:46 left. I too did not think this was a defensive foul as the offensive player, Hunter, just threw his backside into Owens ofter the offensive rebound.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Note: for the above described move to be legal, the player would have to keep the dribble going until the right foot leaves the floor.
OR have both feet land at the same time on the step back. At that point, the player would not have a pivot foot, but could still get off a jump shot.

Good catch on this play as it caught my eye as well. It only confirmed things for me when they showed the replay of it then.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 10:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Play #1:

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 10:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeas2 View Post
I believe you are referring to Tariq Owens 5th foul that happened with 5:46 left. I too did not think this was a defensive foul as the offensive player, Hunter, just threw his backside into Owens ofter the offensive rebound.
Yes, that's it. I watched it once and thought, "wonder if he traveled there..." and then they didn't show another replay.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 10:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Play #1:

Peace
Of course that's a travel.

The debate is whether it's one the NCAA and its teams want called.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 11:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I am interested in people’s thoughts on the spin move by Texas Tech with about 40 seconds left in the second half. We all know that this play depends upon when the dribble is ended. If the dribble stops with his left foot on the floor, he cannot pick that foot up and put it back down again. So what are the opinions of those on here?
Play #3: Sorry out of order

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Tue Apr 09, 2019 at 11:19am.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 11:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
A similar move is done, more in a sideways direction, by Texas Tech #1 with 3:18 remaining in the first half.
This was also an uncalled traveling violation.
Play #2:

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 11:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Don't remember the play, but I consistently give the same answer every time this subject comes or a video is posted. If the spin is executed slowly and the pivot foot is replanted, I call a travel. That's in my NCAA games and my HS games. If the move is executed quickly, I let it go.

I get WAY more chirping for making the call then for not making the call.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2019, 11:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeas2 View Post
One of the few calls I did not like, especially for a 5th foul. I felt Hunter initiated the contact, which caused Owens' arms to come down.

There was also a held ball that I felt was called too quickly during rebounding action after a UVA missed shot late in the 2nd half that took the ball away from TT and gave it back to UVA. Later, in OT I believe, there was a more obvious held ball that was not called and led to a TT foul.