The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Thoughts of Final Four (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104523-thoughts-final-four.html)

michref Sun Apr 07, 2019 08:08am

Thoughts of Final Four

I cannot begin to express the hurt and disappointment I have towards fellow "brothers and sisters" from across the country after reading comments online whether this site or other sites regarding the ending of the Virginia-Auburn game.

Every year during the Final Four weekend, we are blessed with the opportunity to watch and learn from the 20 best officials from across the country because of both mens and womens Final Fours being played on the same weekend. It is something I look forward to every year.

Plays are going to missed whether with a call or no-call. It happens in EVERY game of EVERY season! But yet instead of supporting the brotherhood and sisterhood during the tough times, we burn them at the stake with our comments!!

I do not care what level you are BLESSED to work, we are a fraternity and need to conduct ourselves as such. People on here and other sites that are saying 'I am 100% for sure, I would make this call, or that call, or not make this call, or not make that call' really cause concern and alarm in my mind. None of us can say for 100% accuracy what we would do or not do if we are ever involved in the type of situations like we saw yesterday.

Fans from Auburn waited until the officials were heading off the floor yesterday and then began hurling multiple different things at them. I have not read many comments expressing concern or outrage at that behavior. We just want to continue to bash the officiating crew instead!!

Instead of bashing the officials, and coming out with the appearance "holier then thou" attitude, how about discussing how we can avoid these type of situations in our individual upcoming games!

We are all a fraternity no matter what level we are BLESSED to work at!

BillyMac Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:50am

There But For The Grace Of God, Go I ...

Last season IAABO International taped our state semifinals and finals to create an educational video for all 16,000 IAABO members to observe. Most of the plays were bad calls, or bad no calls.

Our interpreter chose to show us some of the plays at our local meeting, with our local guys in the videos. It was uncomfortable for many of us to watch the videos knowing that these are our best local guys and that the 95% plus of the calls, and no calls, that they made correctly weren't shown on the videos.

And, of course, there were probably a few guys who were thinking, "I should of been in that game, I definitely wouldn't have screwed up those calls".

There's educational value in videos like this but it's tough to see when you know how good these guys actually are.

There but for the grace of God, go I.

bucky Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:42pm

I can definitely agree in theory however.....

From my perspective and mine only, many of the people on TV or at high levels of play are the same year after year and are also excruciating ego-maniacs. Not all, but many. I have met them, heard them, watched them, learned from them, worked with them, etc.

I am very grateful that the official called the foul at the end of the VA game. It was a foul like any other during any part of the season. Now, the illegal dribble I would not mind if there was one official but two that were staring at it? L prolly watching it too b/c nothing was happening near his PCA, lol.

Your point is noted and it certainly is a valid one. Now, if you will excuse me, I must prepare to watch Dee in the Women's final.;)