The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Women’s Final Four (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104519-women-s-final-four.html)

SC Official Fri Apr 05, 2019 06:16pm

Women’s Final Four

First media timeout and Baylor coach is in mid-game form. Practically asking for a T after a 9-0 Oregon run.

Can’t tell who these three officials are.

referee930 Fri Apr 05, 2019 08:51pm

Does anyone know the name of the official that went down 5 minutes into the UConn/Notre Dame game? Knee injury didn't look to good.

JRutledge Fri Apr 05, 2019 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee930 (Post 1031984)
Does anyone know the name of the official that went down 5 minutes into the UConn/Notre Dame game? Knee injury didn't look to good.

Michol Murray, I believe.

Peace

The_Rookie Fri Apr 05, 2019 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1031983)
First media timeout and Baylor coach is in mid-game form. Practically asking for a T after a 9-0 Oregon run.

Can’t tell who these three officials are.

Believe it was Lisa Jones, Cheryl Flores . Not sure who guy was

SC Official Fri Apr 05, 2019 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 1031988)
Believe it was Lisa Jones, Cheryl Flores . Not sure who guy was

Just checked the box score–Michael McConnell.

UConn-ND is Joe Vaszily, Beverly Roberts, and Gina Cross (alternate who replaced Murray). Vaszily, I have to say, is one of the “in every year” refs.

SC Official Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1031990)
Joe Vaszily is the guy. It was not Lisa Jones, it was Michol Murray. The third was Beverly Roberts.

Peace

He was referring to the first game. That crew was the second game.

JRutledge Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1031991)
He was referring to the first game. That crew was the second game.

Gotcha. My bad.

Peace

bucky Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:18pm

I am so excited to see Dee in the championship.:rolleyes:

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:29am

Beverly Roberts has worked the title game in the past. She has great women's college basketball officiating bloodlines. He father, Gary, just retired after officiating women's college basketball for 30 years and officiating basketball for 50 years overall.

MTD, Sr.

SC Official Sun Apr 07, 2019 05:19pm

Dee and Maj Forsberg in the final. Don’t know who the third is.

AremRed Sun Apr 07, 2019 07:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1032117)
Dee and Maj Forsberg in the final. Don’t know who the third is.

Brenda Pantoja.

Nevadaref Sun Apr 07, 2019 08:46pm

Obviously the manner in which the women’s game is officiated is different, but the championship game had me shaking my head at several of the whistles. I just don’t see this level of contact as defensive fouls. I cannot grasp what the defender is doing wrong.
I actually felt that both semifinals were much better officiated than the Final. I don’t like the massive repeating of the same officials on the last game, but I will give Dee props for an excellent help call in the fourth quarter. I believe that there was 3:38 left. She was C opposite table and called a clear whack on the forearm of a driving shooter on the other side of the lane in front of the Lead who had nothing.

Another help call which was good was earlier in the fourth on an end line out of bounds on the Notre Dame end. The ND player saved the ball and bounced it off the opponent, but it then came back and hit her. The Lead must not have seen the final contact and had ND ball, but the T came and fixed it.

SC Official Sun Apr 07, 2019 09:01pm

The C who picked up the shooting foul at 3:38 was actually Maj Forsberg. Dee was the L and passed.

I actually thought they passed on more contact that I expected to be ruled fouls. I can’t recall very many “that wouldn’t be a good call in a men’s game” whistles. Women’s officials actually do a far better job of enforcing the 10-1-4 fouls, which are supposed to be automatic in the men’s game, as well.

AremRed Sun Apr 07, 2019 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1032121)
Another help call which was good was earlier in the fourth on an end line out of bounds on the Notre Dame end. The ND player saved the ball and bounced it off the opponent, but it then came back and hit her. The Lead must not have seen the final contact and had ND ball, but the T came and fixed it.

First play was Dee at Lead if I recall correctly. And Lead should NOT be missing that play.

Second play was relatively easy overturn.

Dee had a clearly blocked shot she called a foul, I’m sure she wants that one back.

Kansas Ref Mon Apr 08, 2019 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee930 (Post 1031984)

*I was watching that game; I saw it in real-time when she took an awkward step while moving forward at an angle and next she crumpled over. I knew immediately that it was a serious knee injury--the buckling leg.

One of my partners this past season tore his achilles tendon---we were admining a FT, he was in the T spot, a long rebound occurred on second FT and he had to sprint back to cover the action. He took one step then crumpled to the floor. This kind of injury is common when you're forced to be completely still for a few minutes , then have to suddenly accelerate and cover that play. There was no replacement and I had to officiate alone the last quarter.