The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw In Spot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104510-throw-spot.html)

Jumpshooter40 Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:37am

Throw In Spot

Where is the exact definition throw-in spot at the start of any quarters? Is it right at the division line. Or one step into the front court. Or one step into the backcourt? I see a big lack of consistency.

NFHS

BryanV21 Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:38am

I always tell the player making the throw in to straddle the division line extended.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AremRed Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumpshooter40 (Post 1031867)
Where is the exact definition throw-in spot at the start of any quarters? Is it right at the division line. Or one step into the front court. Or one step into the backcourt? I see a big lack of consistency.

NFHS

It's not really that critical, but the rule says "at the division line" so I tell the player to straddle the line. I've noticed no one else seems to care all that much though.

deecee Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumpshooter40 (Post 1031867)

NFHS

Divsion line, but a step or so in either direction I did not care about. This has never been an issue and no one cares. I would be weary of the official that did.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1031869)
It's not really that critical, but the rule says "at the division line" so I tell the player to straddle the line. I've noticed no one else seems to care all that much though.

I don't. If they're within 2-3 feet of the division line, I give them the ball and go.

Raymond Sun Mar 31, 2019 04:38pm

If they are too far either direction I tell them they need to come to the division line. No different than any other throw-in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sun Mar 31, 2019 04:59pm

Old Fashioned ...

I'm old fashioned. I hand the ball on almost all designated spot throwins (only exception, two person game, lead administers throwin on sideline below free throw line extended).

Regarding the division line, since I'm handing, I stand a few feet opposite the direction the team is going, point to a spot that lines up with the division line, and wait until the player gets there. If they delay, I'll point to the spot again. If they want the ball, they will come and get it. They always do. 100% of the time.

ODog Sun Mar 31, 2019 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1031871)
… This has never been an issue and no one cares. I would be weary of the official that did.

BillyMac Alert below :D