The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 20, 2019, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

2019 NIT experimental rules

The 3-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot, 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches).
• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.
• Team fouls will reset at the 10-minute mark of each half for the purpose of determining free throws and one-and-one free throws will be eliminated. Teams will shoot two bonus free throws after the fifth team foul of each 10-minute segment. Additionally, teams will be awarded two bonus free throws after the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining in each half if that foul occurs before the fifth team foul of the segment. In each overtime period, team fouls will reset, and teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fourth team foul or the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining if that comes before the fourth team foul of the overtime period.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
• Team fouls will reset at the 10-minute mark of each half for the purpose of determining free throws and one-and-one free throws will be eliminated. Teams will shoot two bonus free throws after the fifth team foul of each 10-minute segment. Additionally, teams will be awarded two bonus free throws after the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining in each half if that foul occurs before the fifth team foul of the segment. In each overtime period, team fouls will reset, and teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fourth team foul or the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining if that comes before the fourth team foul of the overtime period.
I suggest they take the square root of the time and multiply that by the sum of the player numbers that committed all fouls to that point then divide it by the number of seconds left to the next even minute to determine how many FTs should be taken.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I suggest they take the square root of the time and multiply that by the sum of the player numbers that committed all fouls to that point then divide it by the number of seconds left to the next even minute to determine how many FTs should be taken.
Haha, I don't think this is too difficult to understand, but it is overly wordy. If you're going to go through all this trouble, why not just switch to the quarter system like the women's game figured out, and if you want to add the 2 minute thing, fine, but I don't think thats really necessary either.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 09:04am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
why not just switch to the quarter system like the women's game
LOL! Because $$$.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 10:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Almighty Dollar ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
... why not just switch to the quarter system like the women's game
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Because $$$.
Please explain the relationship between money (for the NCAA or for the television networks) and quarters/halves. When a switch is made from halves to quarters (or from quarters to halves as was done by private prep schools here in Connecticut) aren't adjustments normally made to the number (and possibly spacing) of timeouts (media and otherwise) to account for two fewer intermissions when switching from halves to quarters?

If adjustments are made to the number and spacing of timeouts how would this adversely impact the number of commercial breaks?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 21, 2019 at 11:10am.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

The NIT rules for the past few years have seemed to cycle between quarter-like segments and actual quarters. Perhaps next year they will experiment will actual quarters (or there will be actual quarters coming in the new 2019-20 edition of the rulebook), so there is no need to experiment with actual 10-minute quarters this year.

The "under 2 minutes remaining" foul rule is copied from the NBA, and is an attempt to reduce deliberate fouling at the end of periods if a team has not yet used up its allotment of fouls.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2019, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
LOL! Because $$$.
I agree. Personally I don't like the quarter system. I would be interested to see what the quarter system has done to scoring in women's basketball.