The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   SEC Referees (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104446-sec-referees.html)

bradriney Sat Mar 16, 2019 09:14am

SEC Referees

I’ve noticed that SEC conference is using almost all new faces for their games this year, especially in the tournament. It seems like after their officials get experience they move on to other conferences. The Big 12 appears to use a lot of experienced referees. Does anyone know or have an idea of why officials seem to move on from the SEC to work in other conferences regularly? Is it for better pay?

Any thoughts

Raymond Sat Mar 16, 2019 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradriney (Post 1031087)
I’ve noticed that SEC conference is using almost all new faces for their games this year, especially in the tournament. It seems like after their officials get experience they move on to other conferences. The Big 12 appears to use a lot of experienced referees. Does anyone know or have an idea of why officials seem to move on from the SEC to work in other conferences regularly? Is it for better pay?

Any thoughts

Consortiums. Big time officials being forced to show their allegiances to a single supervisor who has multiple conferences.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SC Official Sat Mar 16, 2019 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1031089)
Consortiums. Big time officials being forced to show their allegiances to a single supervisor who has multiple conferences.

Yep. I've heard of more than one D1 official getting booted from one consortium because of "availability."

"Independent contractors" :rolleyes:

Camron Rust Sat Mar 16, 2019 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1031091)
Yep. I've heard of more than one D1 official getting booted from one consortium because of "availability."

"Independent contractors" :rolleyes:

Being an independent contractor works both ways. If you're difficult to use, don't expect to keep getting called to work. Just as you have the right to work when you want, the assignor also has the same right to not assign you at all if they don't like how much you're available to them.

SC Official Sat Mar 16, 2019 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1031092)
Being an independent contractor works both ways. If you're difficult to use, don't expect to keep getting called to work. Just as you have the right to work when you want, the assignor also has the same right to not assign you at all if they don't like how much you're available to them.

Thanks for the lecture, I’m well aware of how it works.

Raymond Sat Mar 16, 2019 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1031092)

Unfortunately, it's mostly pettiness between coordinators. There are supervisors who don't want their officials working for certain other supervisors. Not something you would see out West because the PAC-12 consortium covers so much land mass. SC knows what he is talking about.

Camron Rust Sat Mar 16, 2019 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1031094)
Thanks for the lecture, I’m well aware of how it works.

You sure couldn't tell from your comments. And, the fact that you made this reply suggests you really don't quite grasp it either. You seem to want to have your cake and eat it too.

SC Official Sat Mar 16, 2019 06:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1031102)
You sure couldn't tell from your comments. And, the fact that you made this replay suggest you really don't quite grasp it either. You seem to want to have your cake and eat it too.

Well, since I only officiate high school basketball, that should be a hint to you that I have no dog in the fight.

Nice try, though.

bradriney Sun Mar 17, 2019 04:21pm

It appears that the SEC coordinator has run off everyone. Doug Shows was the only long term SEC regular who worked the tournament this year and the Big 12 scooped up the rest.