The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Good for IHSA (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104436-good-ihsa.html)

Kelvin green Sun Mar 10, 2019 07:51am

Good for IHSA

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/03...ouble-forfeit/

I love the message sent!

JRutledge Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:41am

They get a lot of criticism for things, but this was done completely right IMO.

Peace

JRutledge Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:50am

This was the talk of the state in Illinois. And being an official that is still working the in the state tournament and know the officials that worked this game and the officials that lost a game because they will be no Super Sectional for those officials. The great part is that they will get paid still. The sucky part is one of those officials does not get that opportunity to work that game. It might delay his opportunity to go downstate to work the State Tournament. This incident affected more than just the teams. And even one of the teams is robbed of an opportunity to celebrate winning a Super-Sectional as well, which is a great experience for them.

Peace

HokiePaul Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:18am

Am I the only one who thinks a double forfeit is a bit much (again based only on what was in the video).

I saw a common foul (legit attempt to block the shot)
Legal hanging on the rim (player safety)
Accidental collision with defender while hanging on the rim
Shove of a player by the white (Penalty - Technical Foul)
Tackle of red player by white (Penalty - Flagrant Technical/DQ)
Several players leave the bench (Penalty - Flagrant Technical/DQ)

The video ended pretty quick so I'm assuming the "brawl" ended pretty quick -- I'm not sure I'd call this a brawl. If was more of a fight where players left the bench.

I'd be more included to penalize the handful of players who initiated the fight rather than everyone on both teams. Just my opinion, and again based on what I saw in the link from the OP.

JRutledge Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 1031012)
Am I the only one who thinks a double forfeit is a bit much (again based only on what was in the video).

No, you are not the only one, but I think it was totally justified. There would not be any players left for the next game. So it would be a travesty of a game to begin with and in reality, either team would have had a time beating the next opponent.

I like the decision as it sends a message. And one of these teams was involved in an incident during a similar part of the playoffs and had to forfeit their win in 2015 at an after game, on-court incident.

Those should have known better. They will learn today. ;)

Peace

UNIgiantslayers Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1031013)
I like the decision as it sends a message.

Those should have known better. They will learn today. ;)

This. There are consequences in life. If you don't know how to act while you're on the court, you don't get to be on the court. I would also have no problem with assault charges against those who threw punches.

frezer11 Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:38am

Quote:

The video ended pretty quick so I'm assuming the "brawl" ended pretty quick -- I'm not sure I'd call this a brawl. If was more of a fight where players left the bench.

I'd be more included to penalize the handful of players who initiated the fight rather than everyone on both teams. Just my opinion, and again based on what I saw in the link from the OP.

I agree with most, except for this. I think it would be a mistake to NOT deem this an act that started the fight, and therefore call it a Flagrant Technical and DQ.

JRutledge Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42am

Also, there were fans coming out of the stands. This was a little more than what the players were doing and those fans were getting into it with players. This was not a good look on many levels and another reason why this decision was made. And these teams were are in the same conferences and even general area.

Peace

HokiePaul Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1031015)
I agree with most, except for this. I think it would be a mistake to NOT deem this an act that started the fight, and therefore call it a Flagrant Technical and DQ.

Fair point -- I've seen these shoves end up as nothing -- but you are right that when a fight resulted, it should become Flagrant.

chapmaja Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:00am

Quote:

I agree with the poster who stated that the shove was the beginning of the brawl and as a result this should be Flagrant/DQ. Had the brawl not then started it is a Tech, but once the brawl starts it needs to be called a Flagrant.

I am also not completely sold on the rim hanging being done for player safety. I think there was some showing off there as well, but certainly not enough to say 100% it wasn't player safety.