The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Three Cheers for One of Our Own! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104430-three-cheers-one-our-own.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:19am

Three Cheers for One of Our Own!
 
Jeff Rutledge aka at Rut has been named Official of the Year by the Joilet (Ill.) Basketball Officials Association.

Congratulations Jeff!!

MTD, Sr.

deecee Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:36am

congrats!

BillyMac Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:38pm

Congratulations ...
 
The Forum has also named him "Video King".

Stat-Man Tue Mar 05, 2019 05:18pm

Congrats, Rut. :)

Zoochy Tue Mar 05, 2019 05:22pm

Great Job

ilyazhito Tue Mar 05, 2019 08:10pm

Hip,hip, huzzah!

#olderthanilook Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:40am

Do not give a damn!! :D

RefsNCoaches Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:15pm

Congrats Rut! :cool:

JRutledge Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:44pm

I figured Mark was up to something when he asked me what association gave me this honor.

It was a total shock and did not realize that was going to happen.

Well, I might as well say something else that was shocked about. I have been assigned to work my 3rd IHSA State Final in 3A-4A Boys (6 overall) the weekend of March 15 and 16. Looking forward to this for sure. Been a great week so far. Just trying to get through the morning with all the calls and text.

Peace

billyu2 Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:58pm

Like continuous motion, good basket and ONE on top of it! Congrats JRut!

BryanV21 Wed Mar 06, 2019 02:32pm

Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

UNIgiantslayers Wed Mar 06, 2019 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030935)
I figured Mark was up to something when he asked me what association gave me this honor.

It was a total shock and did not realize that was going to happen.

Well, I might as well say something else that was shocked about. I have been assigned to work my 3rd IHSA State Final in 3A-4A Boys (6 overall) the weekend of March 15 and 16. Looking forward to this for sure. Been a great week so far. Just trying to get through the morning with all the calls and text.

Peace

Congrats. I had heard that Illinois caps you at 3 state tourney appearances. Is that not accurate?

BillyMac Wed Mar 06, 2019 02:52pm

Not Too Shabby ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030935)
I have been assigned to work my 3rd IHSA State Final in 3A-4A Boys (6 overall) the weekend of March 15 and 16.

JRutledge would never tell us this himself, but for the new guys on the Forum, JRutledge has worked state finals in (at least) one other sport.

Maybe that's why, in an "and one" situation, he will often say, "First down" instead of, "One shot".

Kansas Ref Wed Mar 06, 2019 03:14pm

awesome
 
Congratulations JRutledge! This is awesome, looking fwd to your continued commentary and challenging posts on the forum---maybe there'll be some case plays from your state games to share with us.

JRutledge Wed Mar 06, 2019 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1030941)
Congrats. I had heard that Illinois caps you at 3 state tourney appearances. Is that not accurate?

Kind of sorta. They usually do not allow you to work more than 3 in most sports. Sports like football they do not care if you work multiple ones, as they usually do not penalize a crew because the other guys have never worked a State Final. But in basketball where we have the most numbers of any sport, you likely will only work 3 total. Not a hard fast rule, but usually ends when you are assigned your 3rd trip. This is likely the end for me. Some people think I could go back, but who knows.

BTW, the 6 total is in all my sports. I am only the 10th I believe in state history to work the State Finals in Boys Basketball, Football, and Baseball in the history of the IHSA. I am the 4th person in the Chicagoland area to do that as well. One of the guys that did this worked the Super Bowl as a Replay guy (worked in the Big Ten for years) and another guy is in the National Federation Hall of Fame (this past year was honored). Three of the people to do this belonged to the same organization at one time, the oldest Official's Association in the country, the Athletic Officials Association. I am just honored to have done something not many have one. And I am the only African-American to do all those things too. Just trying to follow in the footsteps of my mom, who just got honored herself for an award in her country along with many other awards named after her or she has been honored recently. I have big shoes to fill.

Peace

JRutledge Wed Mar 06, 2019 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1030942)
JRutledge would never tell us this himself, but for the new guys on the Forum, JRutledge has worked state finals in (at least) one other sport.

Maybe that's why, in an "and one" situation, he will often say, "First down" instead of, "One shot".

For clarification, I have worked 2 football state finals, one baseball state final and this will be my 3rd Basketball State Final.

I would only mention that because it is rare and got a lot of help and have been blessed to that it took place. I would rather say that I was fortunate to have a few people help me along that way. I do not take that for granted at all.

Peace

BillyMac Wed Mar 06, 2019 04:22pm

Chip Off The Old Block ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030944)
I am the only African-American to do all those things too. Just trying to follow in the footsteps of my mom, who just got honored herself for an award in her country along with many other awards named after her or she has been honored recently. I have big shoes to fill.

She must be very proud.

When I started officiating basketball thirty-eight years ago we had only a half dozen African-American officials (one who was our president) and no female officials on my local board.

At our next local meeting we will have our first female president (who also happens to be African-American) and our first female interpreter (who also happens to be African-American).

My daughter, who is now 34 years old, played a lot of high level basketball over many years and never once had a female official working any of her games.

Variety is the spice of life.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.V...=0&w=300&h=300

bucky Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030935)
I figured Mark was up to something when he asked me what association gave me this honor.

It was a total shock and did not realize that was going to happen.

Well, I might as well say something else that was shocked about. I have been assigned to work my 3rd IHSA State Final in 3A-4A Boys (6 overall) the weekend of March 15 and 16. Looking forward to this for sure. Been a great week so far. Just trying to get through the morning with all the calls and text.

Peace

Shocked to be working a 6th? SMH.

Nice work!

JRutledge Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1030949)
Shocked to be working a 6th? SMH.

Nice work!

Actually yes!!! But not because it was my 6th overall (this has nothing to do with my other sports), because it was my 3rd and considering what my assignments last year, I did not expect to work that far in the postseason. You would honestly have to be in our system to get that level of understanding. There is a process that happens and it looked like it was going to be a long wait.

Peace

SD Referee Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030944)
Kind of sorta. They usually do not allow you to work more than 3 in most sports. Sports like football they do not care if you work multiple ones, as they usually do not penalize a crew because the other guys have never worked a State Final. But in basketball where we have the most numbers of any sport, you likely will only work 3 total. Not a hard fast rule, but usually ends when you are assigned your 3rd trip. This is likely the end for me. Some people think I could go back, but who knows.

BTW, the 6 total is in all my sports. I am only the 10th I believe in state history to work the State Finals in Boys Basketball, Football, and Baseball in the history of the IHSA. I am the 4th person in the Chicagoland area to do that as well. One of the guys that did this worked the Super Bowl as a Replay guy (worked in the Big Ten for years) and another guy is in the National Federation Hall of Fame (this past year was honored). Three of the people to do this belonged to the same organization at one time, the oldest Official's Association in the country, the Athletic Officials Association. I am just honored to have done something not many have one. And I am the only African-American to do all those things too. Just trying to follow in the footsteps of my mom, who just got honored herself for an award in her country along with many other awards named after her or she has been honored recently. I have big shoes to fill.

Peace

Interesting.

If you are potentially capped at 3 finals appearances, does the desire to go out and work diminish knowing that you cannot work the pinnacle game of the season?

JRutledge Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Referee (Post 1030955)
Interesting.

If you are potentially capped at 3 finals appearances, does the desire to go out and work diminish knowing that you cannot work the pinnacle game of the season?

It does for some. I am not in love with it, but I also understand. It gives different officials a chance to work it. Many are deserving. But I get that we also lose some good people at a certain point of their career as a result.

Peace

johnny d Thu Mar 07, 2019 01:22pm

Many of the people working downstate are fat, old, and out of shape. They should have worked downstate 5-7 years before they actually make it there, when they actually were good officials. By the time they are done with their 3rd trip, they need to be put out to pasture anyway. JRut is one of the few that doesn't fall into this category.

johnny d Thu Mar 07, 2019 01:25pm

Also, because most of the best teams, especially in the two larger divisions are from Chicago or the Chicago suburbs, the downstate games, are not necessarily the pinnacle of the season. Often, the two best teams will have faced off earlier in the playoffs. The IHSA likes to have geographically diverse final four, rather than the 4 best teams in each division.

BillyMac Thu Mar 07, 2019 01:27pm

Three Sports ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1030942)
... JRutledge has worked state finals in (at least) one other sport. Maybe that's why, in an "and one" situation, he will often say, "First down" instead of, "One shot".

Or why, in another situation, he may say, "Ground rule double" instead of, "Two shots".

bucky Thu Mar 07, 2019 03:53pm

Many go out of their way to NOT work the state tournament. The pay is much lower than regular season games, travel distances are greater, more time is involved, and the prestige is non-existent for them. I have known many that were asked out of necessity and they turned them down/back.

SD Referee Thu Mar 07, 2019 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1030956)
It does for some. I am not in love with it, but I also understand. It gives different officials a chance to work it. Many are deserving. But I get that we also lose some good people at a certain point of their career as a result.

Peace

I understand both sides of capping guys. I'm not sure I could continue to work as many games knowing that you have no chance of being rewarded with the big games at the end of the season.

I think all of us put up with some really bad basketball at times during the season. You hope for post season rewards to make the season worth it.

SD Referee Thu Mar 07, 2019 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1030961)
Many go out of their way to NOT work the state tournament. The pay is much lower than regular season games, travel distances are greater, more time is involved, and the prestige is non-existent for them. I have known many that were asked out of necessity and they turned them down/back.

Where I am from the state tourney is a very big deal and what everybody works for. The pay is not great, but the prestige and recognition is a big deal.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 07, 2019 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Referee (Post 1030955)
Interesting.

If you are potentially capped at 3 finals appearances, does the desire to go out and work diminish knowing that you cannot work the pinnacle game of the season?

Perhaps, but on the flip side, capping it at 3 would make others stick around since they know they may have an opportunity.

jTheUmp Thu Mar 07, 2019 04:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Referee (Post 1030963)
Where I am from the state tourney is a very big deal and what everybody works for. The pay is not great, but the prestige and recognition is a big deal.

The pay for my state tournament games this year is actually slightly higher than a regular season varsity game. We also get paid mileage and officials from outside a certain distance get reimbursed for a hotel room. Of course, the later two don't really matter to me, since all three state tournament sites are within 5 miles of my house.

SD Referee Thu Mar 07, 2019 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1030964)
Perhaps, but on the flip side, capping it at 3 would make others stick around since they know they may have an opportunity.


I understand, but you earn your opportunity by your performance during the season.

I wouldn't want to earn an opportunity because other guys are capped.

I know there are only so many slots available at the end of the season, but I would hope that any selection committee, or assignor, or whatever would be smart enough to spread out post season selections to worthy officials. Not just give it to guys because other guys are capped. Even without caps, you don't have to give it to the same guys every year. There are other qualified officials that deserve opportunities. I just don't believe in a cap.

JRutledge Thu Mar 07, 2019 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Referee (Post 1030962)
I understand both sides of capping guys. I'm not sure I could continue to work as many games knowing that you have no chance of being rewarded with the big games at the end of the season.

I think all of us put up with some really bad basketball at times during the season. You hope for post season rewards to make the season worth it.

Thank you very much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Referee (Post 1030963)
Where I am from the state tourney is a very big deal and what everybody works for. The pay is not great, but the prestige and recognition is a big deal.

The Regional level here is the lowest pay. Some regular season games are higher and some are not. Depends on where you are and the conferences you work that are involved. But at the Sectional level, the pay goes higher than anyone else I know pays and there is a lot of prestige to work those games. I had a partner that did not get a Sectional after multiple Regional Finals, and he was so upset he said that the Regional Final would be his last game. I think he backed off of that claim, but it means a lot to officials. It was even a big deal to me when I did not get my first Sectional Final last year and I had to do some reevaluation myself of what that meant.

BTW, everyone plays in the Regional level no matter what your record is. The Regional Final winners play in the Sectional. We get assigned either a Sectional Final which means two games (semifinal and final) or the Semifinal which means one game. Getting the Sectional Final means you can advance further. The Super-Sectional is one game at a neutral site, usually at a college campus (e.g. Northern Illinois University) across the state for the most part. The winner of the Super Sectional goes to State and plays two games in either Bloomington (girls) or Peoria (boys). To work the State Tournament, you have to work all those levels.

Peace

BillyMac Thu Mar 07, 2019 05:56pm

The Great Debate ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Referee (Post 1030966)
I wouldn't want to earn an opportunity because other guys are capped.

Last year our local board made a major change, officials that were voted into the state tournament by both boys coaches and girls coaches had to choose either boys or girls but not both (as was allowed in the past).

One side argued that if officials worked hard doing both boys and girls games all season long that they deserved to do both genders in the tournament if voted in by both sets of coaches.

The other side argued that this new system allowed more officials to work state tournament games.

This year we started another new local procedure, allowing officials to indicate if they wanted to work only boys regular season games, or only girls regular season games, or both genders.

All these recent changes have led to some officials becoming "girls officials", and others becoming "boys officials".

SD Referee Fri Mar 08, 2019 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1030968)
Last year our local board made a major change, officials that were voted into the state tournament by both boys coaches and girls coaches had to choose either boys or girls but not both (as was allowed in the past).

One side argued that if officials worked hard doing both boys and girls games all season long that they deserved to do both genders in the tournament if voted in by both sets of coaches.

The other side argued that this new system allowed more officials to work state tournament games.

This year we started another new local procedure, allowing officials to indicate if they wanted to work only boys regular season games, or only girls regular season games, or both genders.

All these recent changes have led to some officials becoming "girls officials", and others becoming "boys officials".

I 100% agree with NOT letting officials do both a boys and a girls state tourney. This isn't splitting the atom. This is officiating high school basketball. I think we all know A LOT of qualified and deserving officials that could handle big postseason games.

I also believe every state has a small group of officials that think they are gods and are better than everybody else, thus they think they deserve to do both boys and girls tourneys and get every big game in between. Kudos to your area for giving more officials the opportunity.

I also do NOT believe in becoming a "girls official" or a "boys official". I think we all agree that there are a lot of bad girls games out there. Boys too. We have such a big ego that you are only going to do boys games? That has always baffled me as we have guys in our area that will only do boys games. They only want to do boys state tourneys and they usually get their way. It's annoying and I just don't understand the ego involved.

BillyMac Fri Mar 08, 2019 04:54pm

Gender Wars ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Referee (Post 1030984)
I 100% agree with NOT letting officials do both a boys and a girls state tourney.

We have six local boards (all IAABO) in Connecticut and we were the last local board to restrict tournament officials to only one gender, so now we're on par with the rest of the state.

At the end of last season a few guys won election to our local executive board on a "both genders" platform. Same thing again this year (election's in a few weeks). Depending on the results of the election we may go back to "both genders" for the state tournament next year.

I've been out observing our guys and gals in state tournament games almost every night over the past three weeks. All the officials are excellent, but I must say that the officials who were elected and chose to work the boys tournament are a half a tier better than the officials who were selected and chose to work the girls tournament. Not a big difference, hardly noticeable, but there is a slight difference.

SCalScoreKeeper Thu Mar 14, 2019 04:45am

Congrats Rut,
FYI folks the IHSA tournament is available thru the NFHS Network. $9.95 gets you a 30 day pass to watch games from all over our great land.

JRutledge Thu Mar 14, 2019 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 1031031)
Congrats Rut,
FYI folks the IHSA tournament is available thru the NFHS Network. $9.95 gets you a 30 day pass to watch games from all over our great land.

If you have DirecTV you can get the channel on 665 which is NBC Sports Chicago which will show all the games live. Do not pay for that service if you already have a sports package or some other way to see that channel.

Peace

JRutledge Sat Mar 16, 2019 09:26am

Everyone,

I will be working the 4A Final Championship at 7:30 tonight.

Thanks for the support. You have any questions let me know.

Peace


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1