The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Continous Motion (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104429-continous-motion.html)

BillyMac Tue Mar 05, 2019 02:50pm

High School ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 1030908)
When does the Try begin?

NFHS 4-41: A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official’s judgment is throwing or attempting to throw for goal. It is not essential that the ball leave the player’s hand as a foul could prevent release of the ball. The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball.

Note: I like Raymond's NCAA citation that tells us what is part of the shooting motion (raising the ball with the hand(s) and or arm(s) to shoot a layup or jump shot) and what isn't part of the shooting motion (picking up the dribble, catching (gathering) the ball, or advancing on the court with one or both feet).

Raymond Tue Mar 05, 2019 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1030914)
NFHS 4-41: A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official’s judgment is throwing or attempting to throw for goal. It is not essential that the ball leave the player’s hand as a foul could prevent release of the ball. The try starts when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball.

Note: I like Raymond's NCAA citation that tells us what is part of the shooting motion (raising the ball with the hand(s) and or arm(s) to shoot a layup or jump shot) and what isn't part of the shooting motion (picking up the dribble, catching (gathering) the ball, or advancing on the court with one or both feet).

I like that the NCAA citation includes the word "gathering", since there are some folks who claim that there is no such thing.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 05, 2019 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1030916)
I like that the NCAA citation includes the word "gathering", since there are some folks who claim that there is no such thing.

It does, in NFHS, but the point is that gathering is not a defined term that is any different than catching. Either the player has caught the ball or not. Some have just started using "gather" informally and the NCAA is half-way adopting that language (it is parenthetical). But, it doesn't mean anything different than catch and many use it improperly either way. Many times I've heard people use "gather" it has been used to justify an incorrect ruling.

Raymond Tue Mar 05, 2019 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1030919)
It does, in NFHS, but the point is that gathering is not a defined term that is any different than catching. Either the player has caught the ball or not. Some have just started using "gather" informally and the NCAA is half-way adopting that language (it is parenthetical). But, it doesn't mean anything different than catch and many use it improperly either way. Many times I've heard people use "gather" it has been used to justify an incorrect ruling.

I've never had a problem with people I talk to about rules not understanding what gathering means in relation to ending a dribble or gaining player control.

Mostly just people nit picking the use of the word when they don't agree with somebody else's judgment about when the dribble ended or when player control was established.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Zoochy Tue Mar 05, 2019 04:50pm

Fundamentals

17. “Continuous motion” applies both to tries and taps for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by the defense during the interval which begins when the habitual trying or tapping movement starts and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.
Picture a player driving for a lay-up. Does his habitual trying or tapping movement starts when he picks up his dribble? Is he in the Act of Shooting? The ball is around his waist area. He takes a step. Defender fouls by reaching in and prevents his arms from moving upward. Per my reading of the NCAAM ruling, this IS NOT a shooting foul.
Another play. A1 has the ball 2 feet from the basket. He give a real good pump fake. Defender jumps way into the air. A1 momentarily waits to attempt the Try. Before A1 can jump, Defender lands on top of A1, preventing any type of upward motion. Is this a shooting foul? I say yes to this play and the lay-up play per NFHS rules