Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 17, 2019, 10:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Post play foul (Video)

Peace
Old Sun Feb 17, 2019, 11:16am
AremRed

Offensive foul for a straight arm ward off occurs first. A double foul is also an option on this play but they rarely call those on national TV games. Defensive foul is unsurprising.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2019, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

At 10:11 in the second half there was a foul awarded 3 shots. It was pretty clear to me that the contact was well after the shooter landed. Can we clip that play?
Old Sun Feb 17, 2019, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I think it's the right call. As always in these types of situations, we need to decide if the defensive player is being displaced or is giving ground. And, sometimes it's hard to tell and different officials can have a different opinions on the same play. Here, I have the Tennessee post player giving ground and then grabbing the arm.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2019, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Here, I have the Tennessee post player giving ground and then grabbing the arm.
I see a defender trying to stay in his spot while the offense is trying to move him from that spot. I think you get the offensive foul here and clean up your post play.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2019, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

I get why the foul was called on the defense. He reached in and grabbed a hold of an arm. The question we always discuss when it comes to post play is if we are officiating the defender what do you want him to do:

1) If he holds his ground but doesn't reach in. It looks like competitive match up where no one is disadvantaged play on but he's given up position and gotten sealed.

2) If he gives ground then we can't tell if he was knocked back or chose to step back to activate footwork to step around.

3) If he absorbs contact and gets knocked down and then it gets no called because the official judges its not enough to have him fall down he's now out of the play entirely.

4) When he starts clutching and grabbing to hand fight her gets called for the hold.

If he doesn't want a foul he could do 1. If he gives up that position he's going to get benched.

Based on the in depth conversations we have here on the board about PC/LGP and differences of opinion combined with the fact that we officiate the defense. Unless we apply a stricter standard to the offensive player than I see most officials applying, regardless of how much you want to clean up post work its always going to be advantageous for the offense to initiate contact into a physical match up.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!