The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Vid Request: Virginia v Virginia Tech - T? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104401-vid-request-virginia-v-virginia-tech-t.html)

bucky Mon Feb 18, 2019 08:55pm

Vid Request: Virginia v Virginia Tech - T?
 
With about 9:44 left in the game, a player makes a basket and gets fouled. His teammate, in excitement, slams the ball down and it bounces quite high.

Anyone give a T for this action? It appears as if the L official pauses and considers the situation.

Update: I was able to find it. Got to about the 6:04 mark of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2vJdvwfP2w

JRutledge Mon Feb 18, 2019 09:51pm

In a word, "NO."

Peace

AremRed Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1030459)
Anyone give a T for this action? It appears as if the L official pauses and considers the situation.

Was it an unsporting act? Sounds like no. Don't be a Freddy (plumber, sorry Freddo :D)

Camron Rust Tue Feb 19, 2019 01:22am

I wouldn't call that but I have seen it called in D1 ball before.

SC Official Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:30am

I would bet that this action (slamming the ball and not catching it) is penalized more often than not, regardless of context (i.e. player is mad at official or himself or is exicited). However, it's not an "automatic" T under NFHS or NCAA rules, and I've "talked to" players before. I believe the NBA specifically prohibits this action.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N_sHT5MRffY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Altor Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1030476)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N_sHT5MRffY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just for clarification, this is not the video requested in the OP. In NFHS, this one deserves a TF for 10-4-5-b. I'm assuming NCAA-M have a similar rule. That's not the same as what the OP is describing.

SC Official Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1030480)
Just for clarification, this is not the video requested in the OP. In NFHS, this one deserves a TF for 10-4-5-b. I'm assuming NCAA-M have a similar rule. That's not the same as what the OP is describing.

I think most of us are aware that Kentucky and Texas A&M aren't the same teams as Virginia and Virginia Tech. It's an example of a situation where a technical foul was assessed for spiking the ball in a celebratory manner.

And the technical foul assessed to that Kentucky player was a Class A. The "failing to pass the ball to the nearest official" rule is a Class B under NCAA-M. So, based on what the OP described, it actually is a comparable situation.

bucky Tue Feb 19, 2019 03:52pm

I found the OP video. I updated OP to include it but it is here as well. Go to about the 6:04 mark of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2vJdvwfP2w

Raymond Tue Feb 19, 2019 04:28pm

I'm just going to address it to the player in this situation.

crosscountry55 Tue Feb 19, 2019 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1030495)
I'm just going to address it to the player in this situation.

Agree. And plenty of opportunity to do that while the players line up for the FT.

If a foul had not been called, this is a no-brainer DOG warning but certainly not an unsporting T (unless maybe someone is struck/hurt by the slammed ball).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1