The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 02, 2019, 08:26am
Stubborn Member

Because I love it

In case any of you didn't see this I thought I'd share...

Why in the world would anyone want to be a referee? https://es.pn/2UuGITV
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 02, 2019, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting article. Something that stood out to me in the article was a comment that said something along the lines of "you can't be someone who gets their feelings hurt". I agree with this but you also can't be afraid to stand up to a bully coach either. Part of the poor sportsmanship trend is that over time a mentality developed that officials cannot hurt a coaches feelings. When it happens, that official is blacklisted even though he calls a good game.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2019, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Baloney! Much like any relationship love isn't enough to sustain this. It's a mix between love, pay, something to do, etc. It's a very smalllllllll percentage of officials that just do this because they "love" it and get nothing else in return. If that's the case then you are in an abusive relationship .

Oddly enough I found. The more I was paid to officiate a game, the more I "loved" it.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2019, 10:16pm
High Five Master

If you are only in it bc you love it, dm me and I’ll get you my address so you can send me your game fees
Old Sun Feb 03, 2019, 10:21pm
Stubborn Member

It's just a title. I do it because I like it AND I can make a few bucks too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Feb 04, 2019, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Baloney! Much like any relationship love isn't enough to sustain this. It's a mix between love, pay, something to do, etc. It's a very smalllllllll percentage of officials that just do this because they "love" it and get nothing else in return. If that's the case then you are in an abusive relationship .

Oddly enough I found. The more I was paid to officiate a game, the more I "loved" it.
+1 to ALL of this.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2019, 10:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Show Me The Money ...

I also love it, but I wouldn't do "it" for free.

"It" meaning (but not limited to): Long trips through traffic for games, and meetings. Staying on top of Arbiter availability for personal stuff, church, activities, family, medical appointments, etc. Arriving early to observe junior varsity officials. Staying late to observe varsity officials. Laundry. Business meetings. Last minute changes in assignment schedule. Ratings deadlines. Fee and fine deadlines.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 04, 2019, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

In our association we have a saying, "We don't do it for the money, but we sure wouldn't officiate without it!"
Old Tue Feb 05, 2019, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Ode to the High School Basketball Official

Intrepidly you go.
Enduring traffic, making it to games in a hurry after gettong off work, sometimes without food to eat, yet always with rectitude of mind to arbitrate a contest in the most excellent manner.
Arriving at a school and letting the reminiscence of nostalgia of your old high school days ebb up in your mind---as you see the once again the purity, optimisim, and exuberance of the high school atmosphere but now viewed as through the lens of an adult on a mission.
Reviewing in your mind the Rules of play and expecting surprising events that will require you to correctly arbitrate a play that you've not seen before--without the aid of an instant reply--and to make this decision confidently and without undue delay.
Intrepidly you go.
Making a hundred instantaneous observations during a possession, yet gleaning from those numerous observations---which actions are worthy of "play on" and which are worthy of "stopping" due to some violation/foul which you must decide how to administrate.
Reacting each time to your partner('s) call and pausing for the consequence of it.
And, with all matter of calmness, you must acknowledge and respond to the chagrin of coaches while ignoring the cat-calls of fans.
Intrepidly you go.
Hustling up and down the court to be in the best position to see the play, yet having the presence of mind of let a play develop prior to killing it prematurely.
Reflecting on the game on your drive back home and sometimes cursing yourself for missing a violation----regardless of how minute or inconsequential---because you strive for perfection.
Intrepidly you go.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Tue Feb 05, 2019 at 01:59pm.