The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   When can subs come in? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104318-when-can-subs-come.html)

Sharpshooternes Wed Jan 23, 2019 08:52pm

When can subs come in?

HS

Intentional

Before both, before the last, after both?

Flagrant

Before both, Before the last, after both

Technical

Before both, before the last, after both?

How bout false double foul type situations? Say an intentional followed by a technical.

Here is the rule for reference. Be it noted that you can have personal tech, personal flagrant, and personal intentional fouls.
3-3-1

ART. 1

A substitute who desires to enter shall report to the scorer, giving his/her number.

a. Between quarters, at halftime and during a time-out, the substitute must report or be in position to report to the scorer, prior to the warning signal which is sounded 15 seconds before the end of the intermission or the time-out.

NOTE: When the substitute(s) is not properly reported, the player(s) in the game at the conclusion of the quarter when the time-out was granted shall begin play for the new quarter after the time-out.

b. Substitutions between halves may be made by the substitute or a team *representative.

c. During multiple free throws resulting from personal fouls, substitutions may be made only before the final attempt in the sequence and after the final attempt has been scored.

EXCEPTION: When a player is required by rule to be replaced prior to administering the free throw(s), then all other substitutes who have legally reported may also enter the game.

d. If entry is at any time other than between quarters, and a substitute who is entitled and ready to enter reports to the scorer, the scorer shall use a sounding device or game horn, if, or as soon as, the ball is dead and the clock is stopped.

e. A captain may request a defensive match-up if three or more substitutes from the same team enter during an opportunity to substitute.

goodros_nemesis Wed Jan 23, 2019 09:04pm

Intentional: Prior to the last free throw.
Flagrant: At the same time the substitute for the ejected player enters.
Technical: Prior to the last free throw.

Any time substitutes are *required* to enter, i.e.: a player is disqualified, any other substitutes who have properly reported to the scorer's table may enter.

justacoach Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodros_nemesis (Post 1029214)
Technical: Prior to the last free throw.

I take issue with this. A bench player can be substituted to shoot first free throw and another bench player can be substituted to shoot second free throw. Only caveat is sub #1 cannot return and must 'sit a tick' on game clock.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 1029218)
I take issue with this. A bench player can be substituted to shoot first free throw and another bench player can be substituted to shoot second free throw. Only caveat is sub #1 cannot return and must 'sit a tick' on game clock.

Agree. For T's any sub may come in during any dead ball. It is only for personal fouls where the infringed player must shoot where subs are limited.

Nevadaref Thu Jan 24, 2019 04:21am

Sharpshooternes,
I believe that you are unnecessarily confusing yourself with terminology.
While there is such a category as a player technical foul, there is no such thing as a personal technical foul.
What would help you is to organize the foul categories as follows: the two main categories which are mutually exclusive are personal and technical.
Now there are several modifiers such as intentional, flagrant, double, false double, simultaneous, etc.

Now the words personal and technical always go at the end with the modifiers before them. Hence, we have the four following types of fouls whereas in your original question you listed three:
Intentional personal
Intentional technical (such as deliberate contact during a dead ball)
Flagrant personal
Flagrant technical

If you consult rule 3-3-1c, you will see that the restrictions on entering substitutes are only for personal fouls.

So now give me your answers to the timing of substitution entries for each of those four types of fouls. (Before both, before last, after both)

frezer11 Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1029220)
Agree. For T's any sub may come in during any dead ball. It is only for personal fouls where the infringed player must shoot where subs are limited.

I agree, but if I'm the T near the table, I'm going to try to have subs come in before the 1st or after the last, provided that the sub is not for the shooter. For example, if a sub comes to the table after the 1st free-throw, I'll probably have him wait until the 2nd is complete (again assuming he is not coming in to take the 2nd shot), so we don't have an unnecessary delay between shots.

Raymond Thu Jan 24, 2019 01:52pm

If the coach is trying to get the trouble-maker off the floor, I'm bringing subs before the free throws.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 24, 2019 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1029238)
I agree, but if I'm the T near the table, I'm going to try to have subs come in before the 1st or after the last, provided that the sub is not for the shooter. For example, if a sub comes to the table after the 1st free-throw, I'll probably have him wait until the 2nd is complete (again assuming he is not coming in to take the 2nd shot), so we don't have an unnecessary delay between shots.

That is not our decision to make. When a sub legally reports, we bring them in at the first opportunity. That delay is may be unnecessary, but it is allowed.

BillyMac Thu Jan 24, 2019 02:05pm

Game Management ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1029250)
If the coach is trying to get the trouble-maker off the floor, I'm bringing subs before the free throws.

Agree. Good game management.

frezer11 Thu Jan 24, 2019 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1029252)
That is not our decision to make. When a sub legally reports, we bring them in at the first opportunity. That delay is may be unnecessary, but it is allowed.

I can't really argue with you, you're right. But unless somewhat is going to complain about that (which I can't imagine anyone caring about, other than the Coach maybe being late in getting a sub for the kid who picked up the T), I think it's easy enough to just meet them at the table, and say, "Just a minute and I'll get you in here."

All of this is pretty small potatoes, but if I'm able to wait, I think I will.

Sharpshooternes Fri Jan 25, 2019 05:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1029222)
Sharpshooternes,
I believe that you are unnecessarily confusing yourself with terminology.
While there is such a category as a player technical foul, there is no such thing as a personal technical foul.
What would help you is to organize the foul categories as follows: the two main categories which are mutually exclusive are personal and technical.
Now there are several modifiers such as intentional, flagrant, double, false double, simultaneous, etc.

Now the words personal and technical always go at the end with the modifiers before them. Hence, we have the four following types of fouls whereas in your original question you listed three:
Intentional personal
Intentional technical (such as deliberate contact during a dead ball)
Flagrant personal
Flagrant technical

If you consult rule 3-3-1c, you will see that the restrictions on entering substitutes are only for personal fouls.

So now give me your answers to the timing of substitution entries for each of those four types of fouls. (Before both, before last, after both)

Thanks Nevada, this helps clarify that language a lot. Most helpful.