The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Spin Move - Actually called a traveling violation (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104304-spin-move-actually-called-traveling-violation-video.html)

JRutledge Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:15am

Spin Move - Actually called a traveling violation (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1lGRCRECffs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

AremRed Thu Jan 17, 2019 02:57am

Incorrect call, not consistently called a travel.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 17, 2019 04:34am

Good call. He traveled before he even did the spin. He hopped on the same foot after catching the ball and before pivoting around for the spin.

Stripes33 Thu Jan 17, 2019 07:54am

I'm assuming he had the right foot as the pivot. The video shows the hop, foot comes up and then back down - travel in my opinion.

bucky Thu Jan 17, 2019 08:21am

Clear travel and in real time, the hop/skip gives it away. Some could argue it was a technical travel on the initial step too.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 17, 2019 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1028899)
Clear travel and in real time, the hop/skip gives it away. Some could argue it was a technical travel on the initial step too.

If you mean after he catches the ball at the top of the key, I agree. That's what I had when I first watched the video.

Rich Thu Jan 17, 2019 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1028892)

So you're saying that every attempted spin move should be left alone?

Raymond Thu Jan 17, 2019 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1028892)

Clear travel on the spin move. It's inconsistently called b/c folks like you have a philosophy of not calling it.

SD Referee Thu Jan 17, 2019 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1028904)
Clear travel on the spin move. It's inconsistently called b/c folks like you have a philosophy of not calling it.

Well said!!!

I would say a strong majority of spin moves are travels.

AremRed Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:20am

Quote:

Clear travel on the spin move. It's inconsistently called b/c folks l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ who ref at that level have a philosophy of not calling it.

Fixed that for you. :D

AremRed Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1028902)
So you're saying that every attempted spin move should be left alone?

Negative. I'm saying 1) the official likely can't see the gather of the ball, 2) the official should not call traveling unless he can clearly see both the gather of the ball and which is the pivot foot, and 3) I don't believe the player has fully gathered the ball until AFTER the "skip step", thus making his right-left after the gather legal.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:05pm

Quote:

Clear travel on the spin move. It's inconsistently called b/c folks <STRIKE>like you</STRIKE><FONT COLOR=RED>who ref at THAT level</FONT> have a philosophy of <STRIKE>not</STRIKE> calling it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1028918)
Fixed that for you. :D

Fixed that for you.

UNIgiantslayers Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:16pm

C has an angle on the ball at rest with the right foot down, player hops on the right (pivot) foot again. I'm not saying that's what he saw, but he could absolutely see that ball at rest in front of the player/on his right hip from C position. Great get.

AremRed Thu Jan 17, 2019 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1028931)
Fixed that for you.

Wait if they DO call it then wouldn’t it then be consistently called? :cool:

Camron Rust Thu Jan 17, 2019 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1028963)
Wait if they DO call it then wouldn’t it then be consistently called? :cool:

No. When officials at "that" level are thinking it shouldn't be called and officials "THAT" level do call it, that is inconsistency.

It has been a POE more than once in recent times, even at the NCAA level.