The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Flagrant Technical Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104303-flagrant-technical-foul.html)

bas2456 Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:15pm

Flagrant Technical Foul

A1 drives the basket on a fast break, throws up a wild layup between two vertical defenders, the shot misses. A1 had fallen to the ground, gets up and yells "THAT'S A F@#$%^* FOUL".

I am almost positive I've read a case play somewhere that says that would be a flagrant technical for the language. I've looked in two case books and can't find it. Does anyone have a case play?

TIA.

Raymond Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:28pm

Didn't like those Facebook answers? :D

bas2456 Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:30pm

LOL they’re no help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:35pm

You will not find one. There is nothing that tells us what language is a Flagrant Technical. You can determine that a Flagrant T is for that kind of language, but that is up to your personal sensibilities. All it says in the rulebook is that any action that is considered a T can be ruled flagrant for the most part. That is all in Rule 10 and specifically a player in Rule 10-4. They do not give us specifics I believe for a reason. If that is all a player said in some places, that would at best get them a T, but not an ejection.

Peace

Camron Rust Thu Jan 17, 2019 04:36am

I'm not going flagrant for that. A T, certainly, but not flagrant.

Paintguru Thu Jan 17, 2019 07:46am

For me, typically if the language is not personally directed at me ("That's a #$*#(* foul!"), but still falls under the foul language category and is public in nature, I go simple T. If it is quiet enough where maybe a player or two heard it, I would likely just verbally reprimand the player. If it is directed at me personally ("You're a $*(*#ing idiot ref"), some sort of slur, and public, that is when I would move toward an ejection. If something is personal, but private, it would be a gray area on what to do. Your mileage may very.

ChuckS Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:18pm

Rule 4-19-4 gives a little guidance:

"unacceptable conduct".... and "extreme or persistent, vulgar or abusive conduct"

MattReferee Thu Jan 17, 2019 09:43pm

Rack him up with a T and lettem know that’s not acceptable on your floor...
Coach shouldn’t question at all...and pretty upset that player has possibly given up Possession of ball and 6pt play possibilities = 2pt-T,followed by a 3pt shot and a and 1 on shot =6pts
No flagrant
And if I may ask doesn’t coach have seatbelt now ?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jan 18, 2019 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 1028879)
A1 drives the basket on a fast break, throws up a wild layup between two vertical defenders, the shot misses. A1 had fallen to the ground, gets up and yells "THAT'S A F@#$%^* FOUL".

I am almost positive I've read a case play somewhere that says that would be a flagrant technical for the language. I've looked in two case books and can't find it. Does anyone have a case play?

TIA.

You description of what the A1 said: "F@#$%^*" does not really tell us what A1 said. Since you described in all CAPS we can infer that A1 yelled it at a considerably high volume. While some may disagree with me it is reasonable to assume that A1 was directing her comments toward the covering Official.

That said, depending upon what A1 actually said, would make it an TF or a FTF. It is my personal interpretation of the Rule that anytime the "F" word is used in such instances, A1 would be on the Bench for the rest of the game. Also it has always been the prevailing wisdom of the ages that any comments directed toward an Official is a TF and depending upon the overall circumstances could be a FTF: Once I ejected a Player in a boys' H.S. game after he called me an SOB after he committed a PCF.

MTD, Sr.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 18, 2019 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattReferee (Post 1028976)

Does the coach get the seatbelt when a PLAYER gets a T, or when BENCH PERSONNEL get a T? That will answer your question.

JRutledge Fri Jan 18, 2019 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattReferee (Post 1028976)

This is where definitions will help you. No, they do not get the seatbelt. They are a player, not bench personnel if this T is given at this time.

Peace