The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

First V Game

Well...either they are short on officials due to make up games cause of snow last weekend or my assignor likes what he has heard and/or seen of my work.

Got my first V assignment this Friday. Couple of smaller private schools and it's a GV game but I'm happy to be working it.

Now to brush up on my 3-man floor coverage and switches!
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Congratulations! I also got my varsity debut in this season. My game was a DC charter vs public school boys game. I think you'll have good veteran partners who can stand up for you if the going gets tough. I did for my game.

In 3-person, frontcourt switching is easy: go to tableside to replace the T or C. Backcourt switches are different: As T or C opposite, go to Lead opposite (as after a violation). As L opposite, go to C tableside. By the book, as L tableside, you are supposed to do the long switch to L tableside on the other end of the court, unless Indiana uses a different mechanic. Of course, go through the reporting area before making a switch . Good luck!
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 10:07pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Congratulations. One's first varsity game is usually one to remember. I'm sure you'll do well and exude confidence out there.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Awesome to hear and I’m sure you will welcome the experience and have many,many more Varsity
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
Well...either they are short on officials due to make up games cause of snow last weekend or my assignor likes what he has heard and/or seen of my work.

Got my first V assignment this Friday. Couple of smaller private schools and it's a GV game but I'm happy to be working it.

Hope it went well for you...
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 10:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Come, Easy Go (Bobby Sherman, 1970) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
One's first varsity game is usually one to remember.
My first varsity game was after my junior varsity game when one of the varsity guys didn't show up. My junior varsity partner had a much more experience than me but he had to get to the liquor store before it closed. 100% true story.

My very likely last varsity game was last week, no more varsity games due to an chronic injury, local news videographer was there, game was a forty point blowout so the editor decided to concentrate on me, "BillyMac hanging up is varsity whistle after thirty-eight years due to an ankle injury. Good luck BillyMac". Nice swan song.

Now sit right back and enjoy some bubblegum pop:

https://youtu.be/QJOuTr0BXb4
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 17, 2019 at 10:47am.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 10:35am
AremRed

Quote:

Which schools ya got?
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Which schools ya got?
I will refrain from making that public at this time.. Let's just say schools of faith.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

First V Game Memories

Quote:
Congrats and good luck!

You bring back memories of my first varsity game as a 21-year old. I looked (and was) so young that one of my partners thought our other partner was playing a joke on him!

It was a BV game between two good programs with established and demanding coaches (one kept commenting "c'mon, Rookie!" all night...then gave me a nice compliment after the game that he just lost).

It is a great memory for me. I hope yours is even better!