The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First V Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104301-first-v-game.html)

RefsNCoaches Wed Jan 16, 2019 04:11pm

First V Game

Well...either they are short on officials due to make up games cause of snow last weekend :p or my assignor likes what he has heard and/or seen of my work. :eek: :D

Got my first V assignment this Friday. Couple of smaller private schools and it's a GV game but I'm happy to be working it.

Now to brush up on my 3-man floor coverage and switches! :cool:

ilyazhito Wed Jan 16, 2019 09:37pm

Congratulations! I also got my varsity debut in this season. My game was a DC charter vs public school boys game. I think you'll have good veteran partners who can stand up for you if the going gets tough. I did for my game.

In 3-person, frontcourt switching is easy: go to tableside to replace the T or C. Backcourt switches are different: As T or C opposite, go to Lead opposite (as after a violation). As L opposite, go to C tableside. By the book, as L tableside, you are supposed to do the long switch to L tableside on the other end of the court, unless Indiana uses a different mechanic. Of course, go through the reporting area before making a switch ;). Good luck!

Stat-Man Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:07pm

Congratulations. One's first varsity game is usually one to remember. I'm sure you'll do well and exude confidence out there. :)

MattReferee Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:15pm

Awesome to hear and I’m sure you will welcome the experience and have many,many more Varsity

BigCat Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches (Post 1028868)
Well...either they are short on officials due to make up games cause of snow last weekend :p or my assignor likes what he has heard and/or seen of my work. :eek: :D

Got my first V assignment this Friday. Couple of smaller private schools and it's a GV game but I'm happy to be working it.

Hope it went well for you...

BillyMac Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:23am

Easy Come, Easy Go (Bobby Sherman, 1970) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 1028877)
One's first varsity game is usually one to remember.

My first varsity game was after my junior varsity game when one of the varsity guys didn't show up. My junior varsity partner had a much more experience than me but he had to get to the liquor store before it closed. 100% true story.

My very likely last varsity game was last week, no more varsity games due to an chronic injury, local news videographer was there, game was a forty point blowout so the editor decided to concentrate on me, "BillyMac hanging up is varsity whistle after thirty-eight years due to an ankle injury. Good luck BillyMac". Nice swan song.

Now sit right back and enjoy some bubblegum pop:

https://youtu.be/QJOuTr0BXb4

AremRed Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:35am

Quote:

Which schools ya got?

RefsNCoaches Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1028922)
Which schools ya got?

I will refrain from making that public at this time.. Let's just say schools of faith. ;)

griblets Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:44am

First V Game Memories

Quote:

Congrats and good luck!

You bring back memories of my first varsity game as a 21-year old. I looked (and was) so young that one of my partners thought our other partner was playing a joke on him!

It was a BV game between two good programs with established and demanding coaches (one kept commenting "c'mon, Rookie!" all night...then gave me a nice compliment after the game that he just lost).

It is a great memory for me. I hope yours is even better!