The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Ugrading/Downgrading High School Fouls

Had a situation last night VG game. Competitive game team A is pulling away late. Game is probably out of reach barring miraculous with a less than 2 min and a 12 pt lead. B1 turns the corner on her player at half and attacks the rim in transition, A2 takes a bad angle and has to open up and let her go, A3 from way back in the play comes in late and hard on her finish sends the ball careening but went through her back and legs in the air to get there.

My partner comes up with an illegal use call. A bench wants an unsportsmanlike foul (no intentionals or flagrants in FIBA). I come in on the way just to check in and he got everything I saw. Late, hard, through the airborne. He said he saw it and thought it was borderline and was going common foul. I did my job and gave him info he made a call and we went with it.

As always half the gym thinks you get it right the other doesn't.

We discussed it post game. He's ok with his call, I think i still would have gone the other way if it was my call. More importantly, if you make a foul call in a high school game before you officially report how ok would you be with upgrading or downgrading a foul based on information you recieve before reporting.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
More importantly, if you make a foul call in a high school game before you officially report how ok would you be with upgrading or downgrading a foul based on information you recieve before reporting.
Yes -- I always try to look to my partners on these types of calls to see if they have an opinion (common v. intentional in HS). Had one a couple of weeks ago -- we ended up at common.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

I had one last Saturday. A1 drives to the basket. I’m at C. Defender B1 comes running down from the elbow to try to make a play and jumps to try to block the shot with a full swing. She gets a piece of the ball and a shot upside the head of A1 on the follow through. My partner at L on the other side of the key and I both blow our whistles. As he comes across the key he begins a mini lecture to B1 about how fouls like this “could” be intentional. After he’s done with her, he and I chat briefly. I bring up the fact that this is classic excessive contact above the shoulders. It was a strike to the head. We reported an intentional foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 03:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

If I'm on the fence and my partner brings info, I'll go F1/intentional. But if I have a full and complete look at the play, and I wasn't considering it in the first place, I probably won't change it.