The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 13, 2019, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Subvarsity 3-man, what a great idea! Gives the young'uns doing JV a chance to develop before they do the big varsity games, and helps the older officials mentor them while still being reasonably similar to varsity.

I can work 2-man, but I would prefer 3-person if possible, for the reasons mentioned above. Maybe I'll get to that point in a few years from now.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2019, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in an area where anything sub-varsity is 2 man. I've gotten to the point where I'm working more than ten varsity games througout the course of my season, thus switching back and forth between 2 and 3 man mechanics.

This season, I've become so much more comfortable in 3 man, and I love it. Obviously, working with higher caliber partners helps, but I really enjoy having that much more court coverage with the extra set of eyes. I often stay and watch the varsity game after my sophomore prelim to try and pick up a thing or two from the varsity crew. I haven't worked enough 3 man games to hate 2 man, but if I had the option to add a third...

If I had my way in this area, Varsity and JV would be 3 man (here, JV games are comprised of varsity players who don't get a lot of minutes), assignors would have the option of adding a third official to boys sophomore games (there's a lot of games around here that could use a third), and freshman and youth games would remain 2 man.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2019, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

I'm fortunate enough to be at the point where the majority (Probably at least 2/3) of my games are 3-person. I don't have a problem with partners in 2-person, but I feel like I'm missing things and there seems to be more complaining during those games. That may be because the majority of the 2-person games around here are smaller classification games. They're usually rougher and less skilled to begin with. I have found that while working so few 2-person games, I feel like the game moves 200 mph during those games if I have not worked one in a week or two. 3-person just helps the game slow down and lets you actually see what is going on most of the time instead of guessing.