The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   End of the game block/charge play (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104284-end-game-block-charge-play-video.html)

JRutledge Fri Jan 11, 2019 02:59am

End of the game block/charge play (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zRdZEu5GpGE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

CJP Fri Jan 11, 2019 07:32am

Good call. We don't have the restricted area so these are a little bit easier for me to officiate.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 11, 2019 08:32am

"If it was a charge in the first minute, it's a charge in the last minute."

LRZ Fri Jan 11, 2019 08:54am

"We don't have the restricted area so these are a LOT easier for me to officiate."

CJP Fri Jan 11, 2019 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1028588)
"We don't have the restricted area so these are a LOT easier for me to officiate."

Meh... I have officiated in a state that had it and I stand by original statement.

LRZ Fri Jan 11, 2019 09:50am

OK, I wasn't arguing with you. I should have removed the quotation marks: one ref's "little" is another ref's "lot."

bucky Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:25am

I can see where a lot of officials would have:

1) passed on making a call
2) called a block due to wide stance (too wide for a screener but not a defender) or arms not being completely vertical

Nice to see the official make a stand and call a PC at such an important part of the game. Would have liked to see the hand behind the head to make it clearer.

SC Official Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:54am

It was pretty clear to me that he was punching the other direction and not counting the basket. Not sure what the weak "hand behind the head" mechanic would have done there. Maybe he could've emphatically waved off the shot, but there still probably would have been confusion.

The call was correct, and it wasn't even close IMO.

BryanV21 Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:57am

Great call, and despite the announcers being confused for some reason, the official's call was clear to me.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk

ilyazhito Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:58am

Correct call, absolutely. This is why I combine the approved hand behind the head mechanic with a strong punch with the hand that I used to stop the clock.

Rich Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:23pm

Hand behind the head is fine at the table, but is a horribly weak mechanic at the spot. Obvious to me that he was punching it the other way.

Rufus Fri Jan 11, 2019 01:56pm

Normally when a call is this obvious (i.e., when viewing it in real time) it gets me worried that I'm missing something. Luckily in slo-mo it's confirmed to be a great call.

MechanicGuy Fri Jan 11, 2019 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1028595)
It was pretty clear to me that he was punching the other direction and not counting the basket. Not sure what the weak "hand behind the head" mechanic would have done there. Maybe he could've emphatically waved off the shot, but there still probably would have been confusion.

The call was correct, and it wasn't even close IMO.

Definitely a clear PC, and a clear PC signal....to an official. Maybe less clear to everyone else. :confused:

Agree though that the "proper" mechanic looks awful at the spot. Waving off the shot would have been the best way to emphatically clarify the call.

ODog Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 1028614)
… Agree though that the "proper" mechanic looks awful at the spot. Waving off the shot would have been the best way to emphatically clarify the call.

This ^^

ilyazhito Sat Jan 12, 2019 02:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 1028614)
Definitely a clear PC, and a clear PC signal....to an official. Maybe less clear to everyone else. :confused:

Agree though that the "proper" mechanic looks awful at the spot. Waving off the shot would have been the best way to emphatically clarify the call.

I agree. Why does NFHS not go with the times and create (or borrow from other levels) better/more descriptive mechanics? SD has approved of high school officials using certain college signals (punch for a PC/TC foul, hit to the head, legally walled up, etc.), and demonstrates these signals in the last mechanics video that the SDHSAA released. Other states have other changes to NFHS mechanics that make things better (no long switches in TX and MI, 3-person timeout positions in 2-person and walk and talk allowed in TX, walk and talk, 2-handed reporting (before it was legalized by NFHS), and descriptive signals (unofficially) allowed in MD) , so I suspect that NFHS might not understand what toils the officials actually need to get their job done (behavioral warning only came out in 16-17, but was likely unofficially done before then).

SCalScoreKeeper Sat Jan 12, 2019 03:10pm

Looks like your garden variety player control foul to me.