The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Vid Request: Mich State vs Perdue - hook/hold = F1 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104278-vid-request-mich-state-vs-perdue-hook-hold-f1.html)

bucky Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:46pm

Vid Request: Mich State vs Perdue - hook/hold = F1

With about 5:45 left in the game, a rebounding foul is called. They go to the monitor and upgrade it to an F1 for hook/hold. I have seen many of these now and this appeared to be the least egregious of any hook/hold foul that indeed ended up being upgraded to an F1. Izzo bonkers, lol. Wymer on the game. Shortly thereafter, there is a rebounding foul called on a FT and it appeared very similar to the aforementioned F1 but they did not even go to the monitor. Announcers could not stop complaining about the new rule.

deecee Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:02am

It's a new rule and concept. Expect growing pains and tweaking in the off season. Folks need to just get over it.

JRutledge Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:14am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oEiHlKkEF24" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Raymond Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:14am

Will Perdue is still playing college basketball? :eek:

Raymond Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1028473)
It's a new rule and concept. Expect growing pains and tweaking in the off season...

Especially when you publish a new rule with certain criteria then send out a bulletin that says that criteria doesn't really apply.

SC Official Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:23am

The coaches write the rules.

Couldn't get through the video without a "make up call" assertion on the obvious rebounding foul by Purdue.

Rich Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:33am

As someone who has no stake in the college game, I'll say this:

Ridiculous interpretation that simply needs to be acknowledged as a mistake and quietly go away.

deecee Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1028483)
As someone who has no stake in the college game, I'll say this:

Ridiculous interpretation that simply needs to be acknowledged as a mistake and quietly go away.

+1 - it would be nice if the announcers understood or comprehended who sets the damn rules and expectations in the first place. Their heads would explode if they found out it was the coaches and teams.

JRutledge Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:42am

It is their rule. We just enforce it. And they gave the D1 level, for the most part, the ability to review this. It does not matter how silly we feel it is.

Still waiting for the screen/blowup double foul to take place. I have not seen one yet.

Peace

BillyMac Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:42am

Chickenology ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1028476)
Will Perdue is still playing college basketball?

No, it's the college founded by Frank Perdue, specializing in the study of Chickenology.

https://specials-images.forbesimg.co...kground=000000

Their biggest rival is Kentucky, not the Wildcats, rather the college founded by Colonel Sanders.

#olderthanilook Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1028477)
Especially when you publish a new rule with certain criteria then send out a bulletin that says that criteria doesn't really apply.

Soooo....this video sequence is not a good example of a hook/hold???

bucky Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:40pm

I do not necessarily mind the rule, I am just not sure why it was created. If someone was holding a jersey during a rebound, it would be an F1 right? There is no specific text/rule regarding holding a jersey but we have the F1 text/rule. Why was it necessary to have specific wording for this play created? Why couldn't they just use the F1 text/rule to address the situation. I think they reaction from said calls/fouls would have been the same and perhaps that is why they went out of their way to create specific language for it. IDK.

(thanks JRUT for video)

SC Official Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1028491)
I do not necessarily mind the rule, I am just not sure why it was created. If someone was holding a jersey during a rebound, it would be an F1 right? There is no specific text/rule regarding holding a jersey but we have the F1 text/rule. Why was it necessary to have specific wording for this play created? Why couldn't they just use the F1 text/rule to address the situation. I think they reaction from said calls/fouls would have been the same and perhaps that is why they went out of their way to create specific language for it. IDK.

Nowhere in the rules does it say that is it an automatic intentional (NFHS) or F1 (NCAA-M) foul to grab a jersey.

Raymond Wed Jan 09, 2019 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 1028490)
Soooo....this video sequence is not a good example of a hook/hold???

I haven't seen the video yet. I was just commenting to the "growing pains" statement. The growing pains are self induced by Art Hyland.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Raymond Wed Jan 09, 2019 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1028494)
I haven't seen the video yet. I was just commenting to the "growing pains" statement. The growing pains are self induced by Art Hyland.

I just viewed the video for the first time (I only watched the beginning to see the foul). Based on the rule that was written in the rulebook I don't have an F1. I'm not even sure if it's hook and hold.

But if the officials judged it was a hook and hold, Art Hyland put out a bulletin telling us to make it F1 automatically.