The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Euro Step - Legal or illegal? Why either way? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104272-euro-step-legal-illegal-why-either-way-video.html)

JRutledge Sun Jan 06, 2019 01:26am

Euro Step - Legal or illegal? Why either way? (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RMjrXUK0W3M" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Raymond Sun Jan 06, 2019 07:56am

Easily legal in real time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Sun Jan 06, 2019 02:32pm

Hard to tell in real time, but in slow motion, he picked up the ball with his right foot still on the ground at the top of the circle. He stepped left (making the right the pivot), then stepped right again. Travel. Live, probably missed.

thedewed Sun Jan 06, 2019 03:00pm

If that's a travel, then every euro step is a travel

JRutledge Sun Jan 06, 2019 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 1028329)
If that's a travel, then every euro step is a travel

Forget just the Euro Step, any move to the basket like this is a travel. His left foot to me is without question the pivot foot. He never plants it and puts it down again.

Peace

CJP Sun Jan 06, 2019 04:26pm

No call. Without slowing it down, it would be a guess.

thedewed Sun Jan 06, 2019 05:06pm

slowing it down to freeze frame, it is absolutely not a travel. I was always taught if you were really quick to see violations like travel and 3 seconds, you wouldn't last long at higher levels. You should be liberal with the gather. In any event, freeze frame this, he hasn't picked the ball up in 2 hands before the step that would need to still be down for it to be a travel, is already off the floor. This is as clean as they come.

Camron Rust Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 1028343)
slowing it down to freeze frame, it is absolutely not a travel. I was always taught if you were really quick to see violations like travel and 3 seconds, you wouldn't last long at higher levels. You should be liberal with the gather. In any event, freeze frame this, he hasn't picked the ball up in 2 hands before the step that would need to still be down for it to be a travel, is already off the floor. This is as clean as they come.

The video shows the exact opposite of what you claim. Freeze frame and you see the ball being held in his hand(s) with the right foot down and the left foot up. You may not want to call it, but it is there.

It also doesn't take 2 hands to hold the ball. One under it is holding the ball and when the travel rule begins.

JRutledge Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1028356)
It also doesn't take 2 hands to hold the ball. One under it is holding the ball and when the travel rule begins.

It doesn't, but I would not split hairs here. Again if you have to slow it down to determine that, then you would be a better official than me to catch that during live action.

Peace

thedewed Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:21am

I've got a freeze frame, left hand on the ball, both feet in the air, right foot has left the floor, left foot will be next. no College official, or High School official for that matter worth his salt, would call that a travel

BigCat Mon Jan 07, 2019 01:11am

I have nothing in real time. Slowing it way down...as slow as I can..it looks to me that his left hand goes under the ball (ending the dribble) with right foot on floor at top of key making it pivot. I can’t see it well enough to be sure. In any event, as I said I have nothing in real time. It doesn’t help your game to be the only person on the floor calling travel.

Camron Rust Mon Jan 07, 2019 01:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 1028361)
I've got a freeze frame, left hand on the ball, both feet in the air, right foot has left the floor, left foot will be next. no College official, or High School official for that matter worth his salt, would call that a travel

I've got that freeze frame too and several others that don't shot the point of interest. The one before that, however, shows the hand in the same place with the right foot still on the floor.

Yes, it is SO close I am sure I would never call it. But, if you're talking absolutes, it is a travel, just one that can't be confidently judged in real time....thus no call should ever be expected on it.

thedewed Mon Jan 07, 2019 07:49am

I imagine we are seeing the same thing, I'm seeing the left hand on the side of the ball and the right-hand not on it, well some of you others are seeing that left hand under the ball and saying the dribble has thus been stopped. That hand isn't under the ball, it said about two-thirds of the way up the ball. I need to see that right hand also grab the ball before I would say the dribble is stopped. If you don't interpret it that way, you're going to see a whole lot more travels than I do in every single game.

Raymond Mon Jan 07, 2019 09:14am

I have his dribble ended (gather complete) with his left foot down. He doesn't put that foot back down prior to releasing his try.

That's why it is called "judgment".

sdoebler Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25am

This is not a travel. When you try to nit pick this into a travel you make a long night for your crew.