The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Multiple TO”s after made basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104267-multiple-s-after-made-basket.html)

tw1ns Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:57am

Multiple TO”s after made basket

Fellow official called this morning with this question. After made basket team A runs end line and cannot get ball in, calls TO. After TO, same thing, Team A cannot get the ball in again, call another TO. Question is, do they lose the right to run the end line after the second TO? Rules reference? FYI they allowed them to run end line. Questioned by coach after game

crosscountry55 Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:04pm

Yes they can, though I’m too lazy to go get my book and prove it.

Same principle under which the throwing team can still run the line after the defense violates or commits a common foul before the throw-in ends (assuming the spot is still on the end line). Bottom line: the timeout occurs before the throw-in ends, so the conditions of the the throw-in are the same after the timeout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw1ns (Post 1028235)
Fellow official called this morning with this question. After made basket team A runs end line and cannot get ball in, calls TO. After TO, same thing, Team A cannot get the ball in again, call another TO. Question is, do they lose the right to run the end line after the second TO? Rules reference? FYI they allowed them to run end line. Questioned by coach after game

If A can continue to run the endline after the first TO (and they can), why would it be different after the second (or third or fourth or fifth)?

After the sixth, though (in HS and NCAAW), it's a different story. ;)

JRutledge Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:20pm

I do not know if there is a clear rules reference because there is nothing in the rules that take away the privilege for the team on a throw-in after a made basket. There might be a case play that references indirectly what is not taken away, but no rule takes away the ability to run the end line just because of a timeout.

For the record, 7-5-7b addresses this but says nothing about a timeout taking away any privilege.

Peace

tw1ns Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:37pm

Thanks. Of course the coach with the question said it happened to him in a tournament game last year!

Raymond Sat Jan 05, 2019 08:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1028237)
If A can continue to run the endline after the first TO (and they can), why would it be different after the second (or third or fourth or fifth)?

After the sixth, though (in HS and NCAAW), it's a different story. ;)

Maybe they didn't call any timeouts during regulation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

crosscountry55 Sat Jan 05, 2019 08:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1028255)
Maybe they didn't call any timeouts during regulation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Or maybe they were playing in Rhode Island.

(Yup, they get six in two 16-minute halves here. Total overkill.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:33pm

Visiting Team Wears White Uniforms ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1028257)
Or maybe they were playing in Rhode Island. Yup, they get six in two 16-minute halves here.

Same for private prep school games here in Connecticut.

Two 16-minute halves.
Four - 60-second timeouts, Two - 30-second timeouts.

