The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Flop called a T in an NBA Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104249-flop-called-t-nba-game.html)

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Jan 01, 2019 04:47pm

Flop called a T in an NBA Game

I thought that in the past couple of weeks, there was a discussion on here about a flop that was given a Technical Foul in an NBA Game. I thought I had asked for someone to post the play, but now I can't find the thread, or even on my post history, my request for that play.

Anyone remember this discussion, or have I just lost my mind?

BillyMac Tue Jan 01, 2019 04:56pm

It's Gotta Be Around Somewhere ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes (Post 1027997)
... or have I just lost my mind?

Start looking.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Jan 04, 2019 05:02am

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A Pennsylvania Coach Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:56am

I've never called a T for this but considered it last night. Kid sets up to take a charge way too early. As the ball-handler approached, the defender tightly closes his eyes and as the ball handler brushes up against his elbow while making a spin-move past him, the defender crumples straight down like a beer can being crushed. It was pretty hilarious.

bucky Sat Jan 05, 2019 05:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 1028228)
I've never called a T for this but considered it last night. Kid sets up to take a charge way too early. As the ball-handler approached, the defender tightly closes his eyes and as the ball handler brushes up against his elbow while making a spin-move past him, the defender crumples straight down like a beer can being crushed. It was pretty hilarious.

Call a block. The penalty is less, you will get far less flack than if you call a T, and the same message will be sent. Kid won't, with hope, do it again.

Camron Rust Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1028242)
Call a block. The penalty is less, you will get far less flack than if you call a T, and the same message will be sent. Kid won't, with hope, do it again.

I don't call blocks that are not blocks. I just tell the kid he's making it a lot hard to get a charge by flopping...I'm no likely to believe it when it does happen.

bucky Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1028281)
I don't call blocks that are not blocks. I just tell the kid he's making it a lot hard to get a charge by flopping...I'm no likely to believe it when it does happen.

And you do not call T's when they are T's so no difference.

WhistlesAndStripes Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:58pm

I really didn’t create this thread to debate the merits of calling a T on a flop. I posted it because I’m pretty sure there was a post I mentioned in my OP that I couldn’t seem to find.

No one else seems to remember it. This can be closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Sun Jan 06, 2019 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1028299)
And you do not call T's when they are T's so no difference.

Calling something that didn't happen is a lot different than passing on something.

bucky Sun Jan 06, 2019 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1028321)
Calling something that didn't happen is a lot different than passing on something.

A2D. In this case, one is better than the other. Something illegal (flop) did happen, it is simply adjudicated to a lesser degree (block) which equates to a deterrent (kid should learn and not do again). Passing on that illegal something (flop) does not equate to a deterrent and kid will continue to do it.