The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   help free throw shooter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104228-help-free-throw-shooter.html)

agr8zebra Mon Dec 24, 2018 03:31pm

help free throw shooter

Need a little help finding the POE year for the discussion regarding distracting the free throw shooter. Help appreciated.

SC Official Mon Dec 24, 2018 03:47pm

I have cracked down this year on defenders obnoxiously and superfluously saying "I got shooter." They need to decide this before the free throws are attempted. And they already know "who's got the shooter," it's nothing more than a distraction attempt.

I have started to tell defenders they need to shut up once the shooter goes into his motion. I have called one violation for disconcertion and everyone got the hint.

Freddy Mon Dec 24, 2018 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by agr8zebra (Post 1027710)
Need a little help finding the POE year for the discussion regarding distracting the free throw shooter. Help appreciated.

That was 2009-10 which, in part, said:
C. Disconcertion. With the space closest to the shooter now occupied, disconcertion is a concern. Of particular concern is when the free throw will become dead (first of two or first two of three). Defensive players often employ tactics which serve no other purpose than to disconcert the shooter during free throws (“boxing out” the free thrower off the free-throw line, waving arms, yelling instructions to teammates, etc.)"

Of course, as your original post indicated, we now call it "distraction".

grunewar Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1027711)
I have cracked down this year on defenders obnoxiously and superfluously saying "I got shooter." They need to decide this before the free throws are attempted. And they already know "who's got the shooter," it's nothing more than a distraction attempt.

I have started to tell defenders they need to shut up once the shooter goes into his motion. I have called one violation for disconcertion and everyone got the hint.

I've called it a time or two too.

While I never tell a player to "shut up," I have been known to bounce the ball to the person at the line and ask, "Everyone knows who has shooter, right?" Most times, they get the hint.

SC Official Wed Dec 26, 2018 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 1027726)
I've called it a time or two too.

While I never tell a player to "shut up," I have been known to bounce the ball to the person at the line and ask, "Everyone knows who has shooter, right?" Most times, they get the hint.

There's a reason why I didn't put quotes around that phrase. ;)

Although admittedly I have used "shut up" to get opponents to stop trash-talking at the college level, where the egos are a little less fragile than high school.

MattReferee Fri Dec 28, 2018 07:57pm

Ok

College or high school I don’t think “my 2cents” we should tell players to SHUT UP.. hit the players with Disconcerting if FT is missed 🤷*♂️ Tell them to shut up isn’t going make them follow instructions ,but disconcerting IS why rule is in place. Whats the difference with the players Sayin
Block out
Press on make
Hey no more fouls
I have #23
All these happen during FT regularly
Honestly I have rarely called it “But “ have
Ever situation and event are different “game management “
Would you call this during a game that one team has a 25 pt lead?
Or during tied game under 1 min ?
Both are clearly disconcerting ?
Was it called early in game ?
Was the intention to disrupt FT shooter ?
Do I think it’s “wrong” to tell player shut up? to each his own
Heck I may be in a situation where a player doesn’t understand when I say “enough”from “me” and require me to say something along that line 🤷*♂️🤭