The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 12:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's the home school's fault. Make that coach mad.
Holiday tournament. Neutral court.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 12:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Harlem Globetrotters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Unless the ball has an rubber band attached to it (à la Harlem Globetrotters), no chance that we're getting it back from the rattled shooter.
https://youtu.be/Wqtv0p8YtTk

While I was searching for the Harlem Globetrotters rubber band trick, I came across another Harlem Globetrotters free throw trick that I had never seen before, there's very little chance we're getting this ball back to readminister:

https://youtu.be/p2I3XJ6nqSY
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Holiday tournament. Neutral court.
Give the other coach "two-to-make-one" at the other end on the next FT attempt.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

What am I missing? So the table caused the horn to sound. That has nothing to do with the game AFAIAC. I am not familiar with any rule application. The title of the post said it all "inadvertent." Everything is live and all should continue playing. Addressing the horn after the shot is acceptable but why wave off the first make? What was the table's/ref's explanation for not counting the first FT? Yes, there are lots of things to do to prevent this or even do differently, time permitting, but if there is a horn then immediate shot, who cares? Even if many, but not all, players stopped, who cares, tell them to play.

I find it hard to believe Billy that you would award another shot if the first was missed. You would not do the same if some spectator yelled. By rule, or lack thereof, would you not consider the horn to be treated in the same way?
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 07:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Distractions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I find it hard to believe Billy that you would award another shot if the first was missed. You would not do the same if some spectator yelled. By rule, or lack thereof, would you not consider the horn to be treated in the same way?
Correct, I would not readminister for a spectator deliberately trying to distract the shooter because, for some reason, that has become accepted behavior, that is mostly out of the control of the officials and more under the control of the game administrators.

The table crew, on the other hand, is under the jurisdiction of the rules, and thus, the game officials, and should act in a neutral manner, in much the same way as the game officials. While the distracting action of the table crew may be innocent and unintentional, it is still distracting, and needs to be remedied (if the horn and release occur near simultaneously).

I've worked games where the action near the end of a period is so intense that I may lose track of the remaining time such that when the horn sounds unexpectedly it scares the bejesus out of me.

I'm not going to expect a kid to maintain his concentration and make his "unhindered" free throw under the same circumstances.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 24, 2018 at 09:14am.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct, I would not readminister for a spectator deliberately trying to distract the shooter because, for some reason, that has become accepted behavior, that is mostly out of the control of the officials and more under the control of the game administrators.

The table crew, on the other hand, in under the jurisdiction of the rules, and thus, the game officials, and should act in a neutral manner, in much the same way as the game officials. While the distracting action of the table crew may be innocent and unintentional, it is still distracting, and needs to be remedied (if the horn and release occur near simultaneously).

I've worked games where the action near the end of a period is so intense that I may lose track of the remaining time such that when the horn sounds unexpectedly it scares the bejesus out of me.

I'm not going to expect a kid to maintain his concentration and make his "unhindered" free throw under the same circumstances.
I can dig it. Indeed, better go all out and do a Joey Crawford when you hear that horn.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Horn

Let’s remember that we as official control what happens on the floor and our whistle not a inadvertent horn play on !!
Haven’t you been in the situation after a made free-throw”last FT”or made baskets and you have your five second count and you have a substitution at the table and table hits horn 🤭
Do you give the player throwing ball in a few more second because of HORN? Or isn’t it PLAY on ?
Old Sat Dec 29, 2018, 01:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Blow It Dead ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattReferee View Post
... isn’t it PLAY on?
If I can get through the situation with no advantage or disadvantage to either team, I'll yell. "Play", but if I have any indication that the horn will have an adverse effect on anyone, I'll blow it dead.

In my game, with my table crew, I'm not going to allow my horn to screw up any of my players.

Old Mon Dec 31, 2018, 10:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Distracting ...

Quote: