The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Head Coach Leaves (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104212-head-coach-leaves.html)

rbruno Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:18pm

Head Coach Leaves

VG game last night. Head coach of the home team puts on his coat and
rushes out of the gym. 5 min left with his team up 15 ( not that it should matter). Does the assistant coach get head coach privileges? He was fine to the end of the game so nothing really mattered. But it occurred to me if he started acting like a jerk it would be a different situation.

BillyMac Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:43pm

Head Coach Privileges ...

This (as well as head coach showing up late) has been discussed on the Forum with differing opinions.

I'm going with intent and purpose combined with some common sense.

Allow the assistant coach to stand and have all the other head coach privileges.

If the assistant (now head) coach acts like a jerk, treat him the same as you would treat any head coach that acts like a jerk.

Privileges come with responsibilities.

Camron Rust Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:45pm

Obviously, something quite unusual happened. If the head coach had to leave for an emergency I'd certainly let the assistant assume the full duties of the head coach.

BillyMac Wed Dec 19, 2018 01:18pm

Musical Coaches ...

Been there. Done that.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1015051

JRutledge Wed Dec 19, 2018 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1027452)
Obviously, something quite unusual happened. If the head coach had to leave for an emergency I'd certainly let the assistant assume the full duties of the head coach.

I had a college coach do this at halftime. The coach left for a medical issue he was having. We allowed the AC to do all his duties as HC. We were not actually informed until the game started again. I cannot imagine in that situation not allowing the AC now HC the opportunity to do all the duties when he did not leave for any nefarious reasons.

Peace

Loudwhistle2 Wed Dec 19, 2018 01:44pm

And if I remember correctly, if the head coach was seat belted, so is the AC when they take over.

Raymond Wed Dec 19, 2018 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 1027470)
And if I remember correctly, if the head coach was seat belted, so is the AC when they take over.

That would be correct.

My question, if the HC had already incurred any indirect T's, would they port over to the AC who is taking over?

bob jenkins Wed Dec 19, 2018 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1027471)
That would be correct.

My question, if the HC had already incurred any indirect T's, would they port over to the AC who is taking over?

No.

LRZ Wed Dec 19, 2018 02:00pm

Great question, Raymond.

If the rationale for indirect Ts on the HC is because he/she is responsible for bench conduct, and Ts don't carry over, wouldn't that be giving the bench a "do-over"?

Camron Rust Wed Dec 19, 2018 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1027471)
That would be correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1027472)
No.

I agree.

Consider the case when the HC has 3 indirect T's and is ejected as a result. The assistant that takes over wouldn't assume those 3 and get immediately ejected as well. The indirects are to the person responsible for maintaining control of the bench.

Raymond Wed Dec 19, 2018 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1027476)
I agree.

Consider the case when the HC has 3 indirect T's and is ejected as a result. The assistant that takes over wouldn't assume those 3 and get immediately ejected as well. The indirects are to the person responsible for maintaining control of the bench.

I guess when the HC or bench personnel incur a technical foul, we should say the TEAM loses coaching box privileges, instead of sayin the coach loses those privileges.

BillyMac Wed Dec 19, 2018 02:34pm

There's No I In Team ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1027480)
I guess when the HC or bench personnel incur a technical foul, we should say the TEAM loses coaching box privileges, instead of sayin the coach loses those privileges.

I'm cool with that. Nice wording.