Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 05:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Right ?? Not Really A Question ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
This mileage between job sites should be deductible (Publication 463), but the travel back home after the game is not.
So if I commute twenty-five miles to my day job, travel only one mile from my day job to a game site near my day job workplace, and then travel twenty-six miles from the game site back home, I can only deduct one mile for business travel expenses?

Sounds familiar, maybe that's why my accountant would always ask me, "So, BillyMac, you always travel from work to home to feed the cat and pick up your bag and only then travel to the game. Right BillyMac?" (wink, wink, pointed finger in chest).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 06:53pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Actually it's $125.00 dues, $150.00 fees ($150 is my 7% assignment fee (full varsity schedule), average on my board is $130).

While it may still not be justified, the $275 includes the 7% assignment fee. It's my total cost. Period.

I was trying to compare your fixed dues with mine.

It's hard to compare total fees when your assignment fee percentage may be different than mine.

Also hard to compare if many your guys belong to more than one high school assigning organizations, each with it's own dues and fees.

If you want to throw stones at out budget (which may be justified), I need to know as many specifics as I've given you.

What's your assignment fee percentage (if any)?

What percentage of your high school guys have to pay to belong to additional organizations to get a full high school schedule?

Do your dues include a banquet (it's 25% of my dues, or 10% of my total dues and fees)?

Bottom line for me is that it takes $275 of my hard earned money to pay for the annual membership in our local board, state membership, membership in IAABO International (includes NFHS rulebooks, casebooks, and mechanics manuals), a too classy meal at a high end banquet facility, exclusive access to high school assignments (no competition from other organizations), thus no additional dues or fees to other high school assigning organizations, and for me to get a full schedule of game assignments.

On the other side of the ledger, the $275 total for the year is equal to four subvarsity fees, or three varsity fees.

We pay $145 all in for dues and instructional materials.
Assignor Fee of $4.50 per game regardless of level of game.
Game fees: $79 Varsity and $68 non varsity.
End of year Banquet included in $145 above.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 08:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Kudos ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
We pay $145 all in for dues and instructional materials. Assignor Fee of $4.50 per game regardless of level of game. Game fees: $79 Varsity and $68 non varsity. End of year Banquet included in $145 above.
Let's subtract your assignment fee from your game fee to come up with some real numbers: $74.50 Varsity and $63.50 non varsity.

Your $145 for the year is equal to 2.3 subvarsity fees, or two varsity fees.

(My $275 total for the year is equal to four subvarsity fees, or three varsity fees.)

Kudos to your treasurer and finance committee.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

The Rookie, is the varsity fee for a 2-person or 3-person crew? IAABO boards differ from place to place, maybe even in the same state.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 11:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

New Math ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Let's subtract your assignment fee from your game fee to come up with some real numbers: $74.50 Varsity and $63.50 non varsity.
For some reason I decided to use the same method with my situation, subtracting my assignment fee from my game fee to come up with some real numbers: Varsity Fee: $97 minus 7% assignment fee equals about $90; Sub Varsity Fee: $63.05 minus 7% assignment fee equals abut $58.

Now my $125 (dues) is equal to two subvarsity fees, or 1.4 varsity fees.

LRZ: $75 for basketball, equal to 1.5 subvarsity fees, or one varsity fee.

Jeremy: $140.00 about three subvarsity fees, or about 2.5 varsity fees (but he gets mileage).

The Rookie: $145 equal to 2.3 subvarsity fees, or two varsity fees.

Now I don't feel so bad. It's really not that exorbitant compared to many others, a little high, but certainly not exorbitant.

My board officers definitely aren't going to Tahiti on my dime.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 12, 2018 at 11:33am.