The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach assisting player back into court...anything? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104189-coach-assisting-player-back-into-court-anything.html)

MechanicGuy Sun Dec 09, 2018 05:15pm

Coach assisting player back into court...anything?

Early in game last night, boys V if it matters to you, and a defensive player hustling and runs/leaps OOB in the bench area. The head coach grabs him (his own player for the record) and physically directs him back into the court.

Anything?

My partner came up right away with a T, and I didn't protest because I was very unsure. I wouldn't have even put a whistle on it, most likely.

SNIPERBBB Sun Dec 09, 2018 05:36pm

Nope. Did you ask him which rule he was using?

MechanicGuy Sun Dec 09, 2018 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 1026922)
Nope. Did you ask him which rule he was using?

I didn't have a chance before it was reported, and I wasn't entirely certain he was in the wrong. And I'm not going to overrule a partner unless I'm sure.

SNIPERBBB Sun Dec 09, 2018 06:02pm

Ask at halftime/TO/ end of game.

MechanicGuy Sun Dec 09, 2018 06:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 1026924)
Ask at halftime/TO/ end of game.

He suggested it fell under unsporting behavior, which clearly covers a wide variety of actions. It's tough because not every tech worthy offense is going to be explicitly covered.

JRutledge Sun Dec 09, 2018 06:51pm

What is unsporting about this action? Is he a baseball umpire where assisting a runner can be some level of interference? This is not baseball, so a player jumping into a bench area to save a ball or falls into the bench is not at all unsporting. It might even be that the person on the bench was reacting to having people on top of them. Usually, people will kind of "push" you back onto the court when you got to them at the bench. If this was even a problem I am sure there would be an interpretation or case play on the situation.

Peace

MechanicGuy Sun Dec 09, 2018 07:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1026926)
What is unsporting about this action? Is he a baseball umpire where assisting a runner can be some level of interference? This is not baseball, so a player jumping into a bench area to save a ball or falls into the bench is not at all unsporting. It might even be that the person on the bench was reacting to having people on top of them. Usually, people will kind of "push" you back onto the court when you got to them at the bench. If this was even a problem I am sure there would be an interpretation or case play on the situation.

Peace

This was my thinking after the fact. Thankfully the offending team still won by 40, though the coach was a tool for much of the game

UNIgiantslayers Sun Dec 09, 2018 08:09pm

I don’t blame him.

Nevadaref Sun Dec 09, 2018 09:54pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with helping a player back inbounds. In fact, it is the sporting thing to do. Anyone who penalizes such action is a fool.

That said, I don’t care one bit what any of my partners call. They have to make their own decisions and they have to answer for them. I’m not getting involved.

MechanicGuy Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1026928)
I don’t blame him.

Yea, it was going to take something close to assault for me to toss him :D

Though based on the first few minutes, he was likely going to be a tool irrespective of this call.

BillyMac Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:54am

Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants (Isaac Newton, 1675) ...

Now if the coach picks up the player, runs with him across the court, lifts him onto his shoulders, allowing him to dunk the ball, if my partner doesn't offer the coach a cup of tea, it would be my pleasure to do so.

#olderthanilook Mon Dec 10, 2018 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 1026921)
My partner came up right away with a T, and I didn't protest because I was very unsure. I wouldn't have even put a whistle on it, most likely.

Quote:

I didn't have a chance before it was reported, and I wasn't entirely certain he was in the wrong. And I'm not going to overrule a partner unless I'm sure.

Two man officiating crew?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 10, 2018 06:20pm

Quote:

Early in game last night, boys V if it matters to you, and a defensive player hustling and runs/leaps OOB in the bench area. The head coach grabs him (his own player for the record) and physically directs him back into the court.

Anything?

Immediate Dead Ball. The Runner is out because of the Interference by his HC and all other Runners return to the Base they had acquired at the time that Interference occurred.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. The correct Ruling is: Delayed Dead Ball and the Runner is Out because of Interference by his HC.

I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote my original comment except I was trying to be cute and forgot the correct Ruling. Mark, Jr., will not let me forget this for a very long time. LOL!

thumpferee Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1026989)
Immediate Dead Ball. The Runner is out because of the Interference by his HC and all other Runners return to the Base they had acquired at the time that Interference occurred.

MTD, Sr.

Runner is out, ball is live. ;)

Altor Tue Dec 11, 2018 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1027034)
Runner is out, ball is live. ;)

I've got interference by a non-competitor resulting in disqualification from the event for the illegally aided teammate. :eek: