The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Test question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104172-test-question.html)

just another ref Mon Dec 03, 2018 03:31am

Test question

We got our test results. I just saw mine. The following was one of the questions, obviously because of the "rule change" this year. What say you?

A1, in front court near the division line, has their pass blocked by B1, the ball flying in the air towards backcourt. A1 then touches the ball before stepping on the division line, grabbing the ball while stepping into backcourt. Officials allow play to continue.

True or False

Camron Rust Mon Dec 03, 2018 04:38am

Four questions? All true, violation, answer is true. Any false, no violation, answer is false.

1. Team control inbounds?
2. Ball had frontcourt status?
3. Team A last to touch the ball BEFORE the ball returned to the backcourt?
4. Team A first to touch the ball AFTER the ball returned to the backcourt?

SC Official Mon Dec 03, 2018 06:27am

If he first touched the ball with frontcourt status, it’s a violation. The “rule change” only applies to players who have backcourt status and give the ball backcourt status by touching it.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 03, 2018 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1026638)
We got our test results. I just saw mine. The following was one of the questions, obviously because of the "rule change" this year. What say you?

A1, in front court near the division line, has their pass blocked by B1, the ball flying in the air towards backcourt. A1 then touches the ball before stepping on the division line, grabbing the ball while stepping into backcourt. Officials allow play to continue.

True or False

What a poor question. First, "their" should be "his," or "her," or even "his/her."

Second, there's nothing in the question that indicates whether it's true or false that "officials allow play to continue."

If the officials did allow play to continue, the officials were incorrect.

just another ref Mon Dec 03, 2018 01:25pm

Yeah, I just needed verification, in case I misread it, even after reading it multiple times. For whatever reason, they screwed up. This is usually the case on one or more questions.

ODog Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:00am

Who wrote this test? I'm guessing just guys from your local association?

Basketball aspect aside (and that is poor too), the whole presentation seems very juvenile.

JamesBCrazy Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1026644)
What a poor question. First, "their" should be "his," or "her," or even "his/her."

Second, there's nothing in the question that indicates whether it's true or false that "officials allow play to continue."

If the officials did allow play to continue, the officials were incorrect.

Singular "they" has been acceptable for a very long time. Also, there is an implicit "were the officials correct" in the question.

Nevadaref Tue Dec 04, 2018 01:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1026638)

True or False

Since the question says that A1 touched the ball BEFORE stepping on the division line and only grabs the ball while stepping on the line, I have to rule that this is a backcourt violation and that the officials should have stopped play. So I’m answering false.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 04, 2018 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesBCrazy (Post 1026692)
Singular "they" has been acceptable for a very long time. Also, there is an implicit "were the officials correct" in the question.

It's becoming more-so, I agree. And, I only point it out when there are other points to be made.

"True or False: Were the officials correct?" also doesn't make much sense, at least to me.

BillyMac Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:30am

Teacher Gets A Zero ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1026698)
"True or False: Were the officials correct?" also doesn't make much sense, at least to me.

As someone with both a B.S. and M.S. (with an additional thirty college credits beyond my M.S.) in education and over thirty years of experience in the classroom, my middle school students would be all over this like white on rice complaining about a poorly worded, confusing, unfair question, and they would be right.