The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Must-have or nit-pick? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104168-must-have-nit-pick.html)

Scrapper1 Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:53pm

Must-have or nit-pick?

50+ point game. Losing coach has been relatively good about taking his beating. Player from losing team shoots and while the ball is in the basket, his teammate clearly, obviously grabs the bottom of the net (and possibly even touches the ball in the process).

Is this something you grab? Or because of time-and-score, you let it go?

Are you at all concerned that calling it might set off the losing coach, who has been pretty good to this point?

Rich Sun Dec 02, 2018 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1026605)
50+ point game. Losing coach has been relatively good about taking his beating. Player from losing team shoots and while the ball is in the basket, his teammate clearly, obviously grabs the bottom of the net (and possibly even touches the ball in the process).

Is this something you grab? Or because of time-and-score, you let it go?

Are you at all concerned that calling it might set off the losing coach, who has been pretty good to this point?

I've had many of these technical basket interference scenarios over the years. I've never called it and never gotten any grief for it by anyone.

I note it, am thankful for a patient then non-existent whistle, and move on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

crosscountry55 Sun Dec 02, 2018 02:17pm

Discretion is the better part of valor. Things like this are always a "HTBT" kind of thing, but based on your description, assuming that with a 50+ point margin it's probably very late in the game, I'm probably letting this one go.

If the defense had committed the BI (regardless of whether leading or trailing), I'm more likely to make the call. Defenders shouldn't be showboating by messing with the net when the ball is on or in. Allowing it sets a bad precedent. But if an offensive player does something boneheaded like this (probably one of those actions that wreaks of "this game sucks and I'm just ready for it to be over with"), the call probably doesn't fit.

bucky Sun Dec 02, 2018 02:35pm

When I read 50+ point game I went right to nit-pick. No need to call it unless ramifications are more dire, such as in a college game and the assignor is court side.;) In a game like that, surprised you even saw it, lol.

frezer11 Sun Dec 02, 2018 08:13pm

The only way I think I consider calling this is if the fingers get caught in the net on the player's swipe, and it causes the rim to break away. Otherwise I'm the same as the others, play on.

Nevadaref Mon Dec 03, 2018 01:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1026633)
The only way I think I consider calling this is if the fingers get caught in the net on the player's swipe, and it causes the rim to break away. Otherwise I'm the same as the others, play on.

In that case, you should call a technical foul as well as BI.

frezer11 Fri Dec 07, 2018 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1026636)
In that case, you should call a technical foul as well as BI.

Sorry for my late response to this, but a technical foul? Thats a pretty tough sell, especially for a kid who was in my opinion, making a normal basketball play, and not trying to show anyone up.

Camron Rust Fri Dec 07, 2018 05:26pm

Letting it go unless the player hangs on and swings around on it.

Nevadaref Fri Dec 07, 2018 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1026881)
Sorry for my late response to this, but a technical foul? Thats a pretty tough sell, especially for a kid who was in my opinion, making a normal basketball play, and not trying to show anyone up.

1. How is he not showing off? This is an offensive player doing this action while the ball is in the net from a teammate’s shot.

2. Of course, showing off is not a concern here. This isn’t a dunk attempt. All that you need to ask by rule is did he grasp the basket while not attempting to prevent an injury?