The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   “3 Points” Concept While Straddling the DL. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104166-3-points-concept-while-straddling-dl.html)

crosscountry55 Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:09pm

“3 Points” Concept While Straddling the DL.

Trusting but verifying my local interpreter. Suppose Team A is in team control in their backcourt. While advancing, A1 passes to A2 who is straddling the division line. A2 begins a dribble which touches in the frontcourt side before coming back to A2’s hand. A2 remained stationary and is still straddling the division line at this point.

What do you have and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrPete Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:28pm

The ball still has back court status because the player A2 still has back court status. If A2 is still in dribble mode, then he will continue to be in the back court until both feet and the ball are in the front court. If A2 ends the dribble, he may pick up/move his front court foot and still have BC status, however if he picks up the back court foot then he immediately has FC status (assuming the other foot is not in the back court or touching the division line.

The "3 points concept" only applies while dribbling.

BryanV21 Sat Dec 01, 2018 05:36pm

You are where you are til you get where you're going.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nevadaref Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:48pm

A continuation of the ten-second count.

crosscountry55 Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:12am

You know...I thought the interpreter might be wrong. He said that a fumble in this description would be a backcourt violation, which I agree with. But he also said a dribble would, and I was like...????

The claim was that the initial dribble in this case was not part of “advancing the ball” with respect to the three points concept, and therefore the OP case must be considered a backcourt violation. I respectfully disagree.

This all came about as a result of poopy IAABO refresher test questions (#’s 16 and 30 for those of you who took it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LRZ Sun Dec 02, 2018 09:39am

Rules 4-4-1 and 4-4-6 seem pretty clear. And CB 4.4.1 is analogous to your case:

As Team A is advancing the ball from its backcourt toward its frontcourt, A1 passes the ball to A2. A2 catches the ball while both feet are on the floor with one foot on either side of the division line.... (a) ... (b) A2 lifts the foot which is in the frontcourt, pivots and puts it on the floor in the backcourt. RULING: ... In (b), when A2 lifts the foot which is in the frontcourt and places it down in the backcourt, the location of the ball has not changed. The ball is still in the backcourt and no violation has occurred....

"Advancing the ball" is not essential to Rule 4-4 and its provisions. Your interpreter is using the rules to create problems, not solve them. A rhetorical question: What do you do when your interpreter is clearly wrong?

Camron Rust Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:46pm

By definition, a dribble starts when the ball is pushed to the floor....the moment it leaves the dribbler's hand(s), not at some point later. Thus, when the ball hits the floor, it is "during a dribble" that started with backcourt status. Thus, by rule, the ball location is still in the BC and does not obtain FC status when the ball hits the floor in the FC.

crosscountry55 Sun Dec 02, 2018 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1026596)
Your interpreter is using the rules to create problems, not solve them.

He's a good man. Sometimes a bit stubborn, but otherwise a good guy. And in his defense, when we brought this up initially, he said he'd ask about it. A few weeks later we received this specious response. That tells me he got the incorrect answer from higher headquarters somewhere, which is mildly disconcerting to say the least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1026596)
A rhetorical question: What do you do when your interpreter is clearly wrong?

I make myself feel better by consulting this esteemed forum, of course!

BillyMac Sun Dec 02, 2018 02:13pm

Tall, Grande, Or Venti …

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1026611)
... consulting this esteemed forum ...

That, and a few bucks, will get you a cup of coffee at your local Starbucks.