The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA D1 question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104151-ncaa-d1-question.html)

A Pennsylvania Coach Tue Nov 20, 2018 09:27pm

NCAA D1 question

Does the crew get one of the halftime boxscore sheets at halftime?

Raymond Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:35pm

I'm guessing they could if they requested one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JRutledge Wed Nov 21, 2018 05:42am

There are all kinds of things if they wanted them. I know in a game I had last week, I asked the guys keeping the box score information something about shooting percentages. It was not a D1 game at all, but they were opposite the scorer's table, so I just asked for that information. I can imagine if they wanted even video of a play they could probably get it in many places as well.

Peace

NCHSAA Wed Nov 21, 2018 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 1026308)
Does the crew get one of the halftime boxscore sheets at halftime?

It depends. Some schools are great about automatically providing them because they are accustomed to those requests. At other schools, you have to request them.

I had a DI game that provided video from the first half, so that we could review plays. It was pretty cool to review several plays we logged in our memory.

Stat-Man Wed Nov 21, 2018 05:18pm

Is there a reason D1 officials would request a copy of the box score? :confused:

FWIW, I was a college statistician for schools that were members of the NAIA, USCAA, or NJCAA for a number of years prior to officiating. Not once did an official in those games request a halftime or final box.

JRutledge Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 1026367)
Is there a reason D1 officials would request a copy of the box score? :confused:

FWIW, I was a college statistician for schools that were members of the NAIA, USCAA, or NJCAA for a number of years prior to officiating. Not once did an official in those games request a halftime or final box.

Not sure if D1 specifically needs it, but as an official, I see a lot valuable with that information. I know what the teams did, how many calls we made and who is scoring leader. Good information to know as you officiate as you know who will be the focus in the second half.

Heck, I many times look at box scores if for no other reason because it is not unusual to have a coach claim that something the box score can prove. Years ago I had a media person in the paper claim that we called a lot of fouls on one team. The fouls were even for the game and the team that lost we called fouls at the end of the game to extend the game. I do not work D1 but that is good to get accurate information for sure.

Peace

stripes Sun Nov 25, 2018 05:49pm

I have never requested one at half, but have more than once after a college game. Every time it was either waiting for us in our locker room or came shortly after we entered.