The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Severe Drop In Assignments (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104050-severe-drop-assignments.html)

BryanV21 Mon Oct 01, 2018 09:34am

Severe Drop In Assignments

I don't know what to do, so I need some advice.

I've been officiating for 10 years, and I've never had any issue with getting a full schedule of games. For example, when games have been rescheduled due to weather I'm not able to work them on their make-up date because I already have a game scheduled that day. It's nice, but it also kinda stinks as I'm never able to help out when needed.

Mind you, I work in retail, so my work schedule keeps me from working pretty much any time except for when I'm already scheduled for a game. Which limits me to about 25-30 games a season.

But as of right now, when most league games have already been assigned (non-league games, at least around here, are scheduled closer to when the season starts), I only have 2 games. And those two games come from an assignor I've rarely worked for in the past, as two assignors regularly fill me up.

I've sent emails about two weeks ago, giving those assignors my open dates, but have yet to hear a reply. So I'm a little concerned that I've been blackballed for some reason.

I haven't had any issues with fellow officials. Besides a technical foul here or there (I can count how many techs I've given out over the past three seasons on one hand), I haven't had any problems with coaches or players, either. The only thing that seems plausible is that I'm not able to get to camps/clinics most years due to my work schedule. Hell, I'm lucky to get vacation time, let alone time to attend any camps/clinics regularly.

By the way, my ratings have been good. Not at the top or anything, but nothing that would make me believe I'm not getting games because of my ability to officiate or work with other officials, coaches, etc.

There is one other thing, but I don't really believe this is it. I use my real name on my Twitter and Facebooks accounts (probably a mistake, but I started using my real name a while ago so said "screw it"). I don't talk at all about officiating on my FB account, outside of noting that I'm an official in my profile. I may share a story or my opinion every once in a great while about officiating in general on Twitter, but nothing having to do with my own officiating... be that schools, other officials, where I'm officiating, etc.

This is where I may be stretching things...

On Twitter, I'm very outspoken about my dislike of Donald Trump. With politics being as partisan as they are nowadays, is there any chance those assignors like Trump and simply don't want to work with me for that reason?

Should I keep my mouth shut and hope for things to change? Should I email those assignors and ask? I don't want to annoy anyone, but this kinda sucks.

BillyMac Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:43am

Don't Write, Call ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1024994)
I've sent emails about two weeks ago, giving those assignors my open dates, but have yet to hear a reply ... Should I keep my mouth shut and hope for things to change? Should I email those assignors and ask?

Don't email.

Call all of your assigners that have given you good schedules in the past and haven't for this upcoming season, and ask them, "Why the change?".

It doesn't have to be confrontational. Just a simple question. And if, for some reason, they can't give you a reasonable reason, ask what you can do to insure that you get a better schedule next season.

Good luck.

Quote:

I use my real name on my Twitter and Facebook accounts. I don't talk at all about officiating on my FB account, outside of noting that I'm an official in my profile. I may share a story or my opinion every once in a great while about officiating in general on Twitter, but nothing having to do with my own officiating... be that schools, other officials, where I'm officiating, etc.

It probably has little, or nothing, to do with your dilemma, but get rid of your real name on any social media where you might discuss basketball officiating.

From IAABO International:

With the onslaught of social media (Facebook, LinkedIn etc.) there are many ways for officials to become controversial very innocently. Officials love to talk, I am sure you know the old saying "tell a ref tell the world". How often does the conversation between officials start with "I had this play" and then we continue with one upsmanship and "I had this play" and so on. We were always concerned when we were having an adult beverage in an establishment talking basketball, being heard by someone as we made comments about a coach, player or even rowdy fans. Why wouldn't we have the same concern today where, instead of being out in public making comments we now make them online? The danger again is that we do not know who views these comments, and we do not know what they will do with these comments.

In regards to basketball, I have watched officials put up a play online and ask for comments from others and there may be responses from a number of officials that give their "opinion", many of which are incorrect rulings. It amazes me that officials did not ask their own interpreters who have been IAABO trained and most likely can provide the correct response and rule citation. The interpreter also has another resource and that Is Peter Webb who is IAABO's Coordinator of Interpreters and who will respond to each and every question with the correct ruling and rule reference within 48 hours.

My concern is that an errant comment made by an official can come back to haunt them, in fact most Division 1 conferences have added this clause to the officials contract. "The office must refrain from any public criticism of the conference, Conference staff, coaches, student athletes, and Conference athletic departments. This criticism includes communicating with the media, and other basketball officials, as well as any method of social or electronic media (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, email etc.). Any violation of this policy will result in disciplinary action being taken, which could include one or more of the following actions: private reprimand, suspension or termination".

This may filter down to the state athletic associations in the near future, thus the point of this article is to give our officials a heads up on what is happening in our officiating world. You just might want to give some thought to the above before you make that next "click".

I'm really not BillyMac, from a little corner in Connecticut; I’m really Dr. Frank N. Furter, a sweet transvestite, from Transsexual, Transylvania.

BryanV21 Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1024996)
Don't email.

Call all of your assigners that have given you good schedules in the past and haven't for this upcoming season, and ask them, "Why the change?".

It doesn't have to be confrontational. Just a simple question. And if, for some reason, they can't give you a reasonable reason, ask what you can do to insure that you get a better schedule next season.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Camron Rust Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:47am

Quote:

On Twitter, I'm very outspoken about my dislike of Donald Trump. With politics being as partisan as they are nowadays, is there any chance those assignors like Trump and simply don't want to work with me for that reason?

Should I keep my mouth shut and hope for things to change? Should I email those assignors and ask? I don't want to annoy anyone, but this kinda sucks.

Perhaps it could be. I think that would be wrong.

I'd call them. Sometimes, assignors are just really busy and have a lot going on and missed you. I know in most areas, people are really shorthanded. If I were assigning, I certainly wouldn't shut someone out of games due to politics unless their politics were interfering with the ability to officiate in some extreme way...recognizable and drawing unwanted attention at games.

BryanV21 Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1024998)
Perhaps it could be. I think that would be wrong.

I'd call them. Sometimes, assignors are just really busy and have a lot going on and missed you. I know in most areas, people are really shorthanded. If I were assigning, I certainly wouldn't shut someone out of games due to politics unless their politics were interfering with the ability to officiate in some extreme way...recognizable and drawing unwanted attention at games.

Another opinion from a well-respected official... thanks.

JRutledge Mon Oct 01, 2018 01:08pm

A lot of assumptions are being made.

Any of this could be possible, even the political post (either way). I think you need to actually talk to the assignor and ask them directly. You only use email to suggest you want to talk to them. Or you could wait to make sure there is any change on their part because of anything you might have done or not done. But do not go on assuming there is something specific to you. It could be there are more qualified guys and that hurts everyone to some extent.

Peace

Pantherdreams Mon Oct 01, 2018 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1025002)
A lot of assumptions are being made.

True story. When I read the post title in my head I hyphenated drop-in. I thought this was going to be about emergency assignments to cover games in storms, or on islands or prop plane problems. Must be the Canadian . . .

BryanV21 Mon Oct 01, 2018 01:25pm

I called one of them and left a message acknowledging that he's a busy man, so I apologized if he simply hasn't gotten around to assigning some basketball games (he assigns for soccer in the area too). However, I wanted to inquire about not getting any games from him this season. And if he had any advice for me.

We'll see how he responds.

Thanks again, guys.

BillyMac Mon Oct 01, 2018 01:59pm

Operator, I'd Like To Make A Long Distance Person To Person Call ...

Quote:

I've sent emails ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1024996)
Don't email. Call ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1025002)
You only use email to suggest you want to talk to them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1025004)
I called one of them ...

I fully understand that the modern, twenty-first century method of communication is to email or text, but sometimes there's nothing better than an old fashioned, ear to ear, phone call. You don't have to use a rotary phone, or a land line phone, or a flip cell phone, go ahead and use one of those new fangled smart phones, but call, person to person (like we use to pay extra for in Ancient Times © Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., 2018).

scrounge Mon Oct 01, 2018 03:37pm

Having the luxury of being in the same area and knowing the same assignors personally as well, I would be absolutely shocked if politics played any role whatsoever unless there's something you've posted that would be inappropriate regardless of subject. I think the girls side is just slow this year, as may be the city.

BillyMac Mon Oct 01, 2018 04:39pm

I'm Late ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 1025009)
Having the luxury of being in the same area and knowing the same assignors personally as well, I would be absolutely shocked if politics played any role whatsoever unless there's something you've posted that would be inappropriate regardless of subject. I think the girls side is just slow this year, as may be the city.

Maybe a possibility of a clerical error, or an oversight? Maybe the assigner hasn't received all the schedules from the athletic directors, they're later than normal, and he decided to give out incomplete, or partial assignments?

SNIPERBBB Mon Oct 01, 2018 04:50pm

Quietly ask around to the in-the-know guys in your association, stuff gets around if there is anything there to pass around.

If you think your politics is your problem, you could move to Athens and do all the games you like there...well theyd be OU intermurals and rec ball probably.

pizanno Mon Oct 01, 2018 05:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1025004)
I called one of them and left a message acknowledging that he's a busy man, so I apologized if he simply hasn't gotten around to assigning some basketball games (he assigns for soccer in the area too)...

Thanks again, guys.

Don't be so quick to apologize, make excuses for others, or jump to conclusions. Just state the reason for your call. Gathering and stating the facts, without regard to emotion or personalities, is a valuable trait in officiating.

I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation. Don't let doubt or insecurity creep into the conversation. Be strong and confident.

SC Official Tue Oct 02, 2018 06:54am

Move to a state where games aren't assigned so far in advance. No one has any games yet in my state and won't until November most likely. :p

But seriously, best of luck and be forthright.

The_Rookie Tue Oct 02, 2018 04:31pm

[QUOTE=BryanV21;1024994]I don't know what to do, so I need some advice.

Mind you, I work in retail, so my work schedule keeps me from working pretty much any time except for when I'm already scheduled for a game. Which limits me to about 25-30 games a season.

But as of right now, when most league games have already been assigned (non-league games, at least around here, are scheduled closer to when the season starts), I only have 2 games. And those two games come from an assignor I've rarely worked for in the past, as two assignors regularly fill me up.

Call the assignor and pose the question. They should not be annoyed by it and it shows that you care. Checking the status is a normal thing as long as you are not a pest;)