The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Interpreter's Stipend? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104044-interpreters-stipend.html)

Jfpdi Thu Sep 27, 2018 09:29pm

Interpreter's Stipend?

Do most boards provide a stipend to the Interpreter? Our board does and I believe it is a valid expense. The interpreter is expected to answer questions and provide rulings throughout the year, run our new candidate class, which means he is out for 8 to 10 nights when he could be home or working games, attend the IAABO fall meeting (yes we reimburse his expenses) as well as attend all of the Board of Director's meetings and member meetings to provide additional training. One of our members seemed to think it was wrong to provide a stipend for the extra work required of this position. Thoughts?

Raymond Thu Sep 27, 2018 09:51pm

Sounds like a reasonable expenditure to me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:13pm

Little Corner ...

My local board's Interpreter Compensation: $750.00

Same duties as mentioned in Jfpdi's post above.

Nevadaref Fri Sep 28, 2018 01:47am

Anyone who puts that kind of time in deserves some compensation.
Training the rookies is a big deal and takes real effort to do it right.
That task alone is worth several hundred bucks for the time invested in prep and teaching.

dbogcpa Fri Sep 28, 2018 07:46am

I do it without any compensation. I see it as me giving back to something that has given me so much. Plus I enjoy it.

LRZ Fri Sep 28, 2018 08:17am

Sure, it's easy to volunteer someone else. Has that dissenting member offered to take on the responsibilities--and do so for free?

JRutledge Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:08am

Usually, folks that come to our meetings are volunteers. Now if we have a guest speaker or someone that is doing something in their official state policy, we do give them something for that time, but it is usually one night. This is about the culture of the place I would suggest. If you pay people for their time, they are willing to do their job. I see no issues with paying someone.

Peace

BillyMac Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:45am

Interpreter For Life ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1024953)
My local board's Interpreter Compensation: $750.00. Same duties as mentioned in Jfpdi's post above.

I should also point out that the rules interpreter is an elected position of my local IAABO board, elected by a majority vote of the membership at our annual meeting (last meeting of the season) for a one year term. The rules interpreter cannot jointly be the secretary/treasurer, assignment commissioner, or the assistant assignment commissioner. Such candidates for the rules interpreter must withdraw from such elected or appointed positions when elected.

In thirty-eight years there has never been more than one candidate for the rules interpreter position, and we’ve only had two rules interpreters (both have been outstanding) since I became an active member.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Sep 28, 2018 02:29pm

In the Great State of Ohio, it is usually only the Secretary that gets a stipend. Maybe some large associations may provide a stipend to their interpreters but the ten years that I was rules interpreter and instructional chairman I did the job out of the kindness of my heart.

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Fri Sep 28, 2018 04:00pm

The Constitution State ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1024969)
In the Great State of Ohio, it is usually only the Secretary that gets a stipend.

In my little corner of the Very Great (greater than the Great State of Ohio) State of Connecticut:

Commissioner Compensation $32,025.00
Secretary/Treasurer Compensation $7,000.00
Assistant Commissioner/Ratings Coordinator Compensation $3,000.00
Interpreter Compensation $750.00

Raymond Fri Sep 28, 2018 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1024969)
In the Great State of Ohio, it is usually only the Secretary that gets a stipend. Maybe some large associations may provide a stipend to their interpreters but the ten years that I was rules interpreter and instructional chairman I did the job out of the kindness of my heart.

MTD, Sr.

The kindness of your heart doesn't pay that bill at Kinkos [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SNIPERBBB Fri Sep 28, 2018 06:12pm

Our local association, the interpreters just tag along with the Secretrary up to the meeting. Not much else that we are required to do that would really require any expense. I guess I could go observe some local games on my off days(two of the three county HS are within 8 minutes of the house) since now apparently we now have votes for tournament officials.

The_Rookie Sun Sep 30, 2018 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1024958)
I should also point out that the rules interpreter is an elected position of my local IAABO board, elected by a majority vote of the membership at our annual meeting (last meeting of the season) for a one year term. The rules interpreter cannot jointly be the secretary/treasurer, assignment commissioner, or the assistant assignment commissioner. Such candidates for the rules interpreter must withdraw from such elected or appointed positions when elected.

In thirty-eight years there has never been more than one candidate for the rules interpreter position, and we’ve only had two rules interpreters (both have been outstanding) since I became an active member.

$1,000 but everything is higher priced on the Left Coast;)

The_Rookie Sun Sep 30, 2018 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1024971)
In my little corner of the Very Great (greater the Great State of Ohio) State of Connecticut:

Commissioner Compensation $32,025.00
Secretary/Treasurer Compensation $7,000.00
Assistant Commissioner/Ratings Coordinator Compensation $3,000.00
Interpreter Compensation $750.00

How do I get in on those gigs? Great Post-Retirement job:)

Multiple Sports Sun Sep 30, 2018 07:57pm

Give that guy girls JV and middle school. Was an IAABO interpreter, I received a $200 stipend
and no dues. Board picked up expenses to
IAABO convention. I enjoyed it and it made me
a better official. Guys like that are detrimental to the board....