The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   block/charge (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104019-block-charge.html)

jeremy341a Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:35pm

block/charge

Thoughts on this block call? Is there any reason this should come from the C?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3uICc94etIA?start=732" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JRutledge Thu Sep 13, 2018 01:34pm

Not many thoughts because I cannot tell much of anything in the video. The video has our look totally straighlined.

The play is in transition, so the C would be one of the main people making this call.

Peace

jeremy341a Thu Sep 13, 2018 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1024513)
Not many thoughts because I cannot tell much of anything in the video. The video has our look totally straighlined.

The play is in transition, so the C would be one of the main people making this call.

Peace

That's is what I was really wondering about. Not such much the accuracy of the call as to why the C made it. I thought that from his view straight from the side he would have a hard time telling if the defender was legal. I was was thinking the L would have a better look. On further viewings I noticed he was a little late getting to the end line.

JRutledge Thu Sep 13, 2018 03:01pm

The C might be the only person that sees the entire play. Again, this is in transition. The L might not be in a settled position to see this play. Even the T can come in if they clearly see the play. Again, it is in transition, where we help until we all get to where we need to be on the court.

Peace

Raymond Thu Sep 13, 2018 03:44pm

The video is 20 minutes long, what am I supposed to be looking for?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JRutledge Thu Sep 13, 2018 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1024519)

I think all he wants to see the play first run at the way he has it set up, but he does not help you with that information very well. I believe the video play is the block-charge which you can see at the 12:12 mark.

Peace

Raymond Thu Sep 13, 2018 06:35pm

For the play around the 12:12 mark, I have no problem with the C having a whistle because the Lead was late and didn't look like he reacted to the play at all.

WACG Squad will be on my radar if they come through the local AAU facility, b/c they have some sh!tty sportsmanship from coaches to players to fans. I've had Bradley Beal's team before and they were well-behaved.

AremRed Thu Sep 13, 2018 09:32pm

This is Lead's play. Straight down the pipe, Lead should be at closedown or very close and have eyes on secondary defenders in the paint. Slot should not have a whistle at all, assuming Lead does. If Lead doesn't hit it, Slot should come in with a late whistle and clean up.

jeremy341a Fri Sep 14, 2018 08:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1024519)

Does it not start near the block/charge play at 12:12? Do I have it embedded wrong? I apologize

jeremy341a Fri Sep 14, 2018 08:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1024520)
I think all he wants to see the play first run at the way he has it set up, but he does not help you with that information very well. I believe the video play is the block-charge which you can see at the 12:12 mark.

Peace

My mistake. I had it set up to run right before the play in question. I didn't realize that people would think I wondered about a play that would take place at a different time. I apologize. I will try to be more clear in the future.

Raymond Fri Sep 14, 2018 08:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1024526)
Does it not start near the block/charge play at 12:12? Do I have it embedded wrong? I apologize

No, it started at the beginning of the video. I know there's a way to make it start at a certain point but I don't know it.

AremRed Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1024527)
My mistake. I had it set up to run right before the play in question. I didn't realize that people would think I wondered about a play that would take place at a different time. I apologize. I will try to be more clear in the future.

It did start at the correct time for me using my laptop. I believe Raymond is using Tapatalk to view, which may not jive with the YouTube encoding.

JRutledge Fri Sep 14, 2018 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1024531)
It did start at the correct time for me using my laptop. I believe Raymond is using Tapatalk to view, which may not jive with the YouTube encoding.

It started on mine correctly too, but I was not sure that it did that until later. He did not set it up for us very well.

Peace

jeremy341a Fri Sep 14, 2018 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1024532)
It started on mine correctly too, but I was not sure that it did that until later. He did not set it up for us very well.

Peace

In the future what should I do differently? Should I post the time of the play also?

JRutledge Fri Sep 14, 2018 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1024533)
In the future what should I do differently? Should I post the time of the play also?

Tell us where the play is and what exactly we are looking at. It was a little confusing because when I went back to the video, I did not realize it started in the middle the play you were looking at. Just give a heads up, so those looking on different devices are not guessing. No big deal, but it was confusing to me and I was on my computer when commenting. I thought at first the video was only this play, it clearly was not.

Peace

BillyMac Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:19am

Picasso On The Forum, Is That Cool, Or What ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1024521)
... they have some sh!tty sportsmanship ...

I'm fairly certain that it's not the officials who allow the players to wear illegal undershirts, it's most likely the host AAU organization (game management) that instructs the officials not to enforce the rule (maybe teams have reversible jerseys, and don't know in advance what color jersey, or undershirt, they'll be wearing from game to game). So I find fault with game management, not the officials.

As it stands, this game is a mess, lots of borderline stuff, language, body language, boasting, bragging, posturing, etc., that would get a, "Knock it off", from me in my high school game, probably not technical fouls, but this stuff wouldn't be ignored for fear that it would escalate into something that would require technical fouls, possibly a fight.

I could be wrong, but maybe this game could be a little more sporting if the officials showed up pregame and told both teams that the undershirt rule would be enforced, forcing all players to conform.

It just sets the tone of, "We're in charge of the rules guys, we're watching you, we pay attention, we don't ignore anything, including the color of equipment, and more importantly, unsporting acts".

Just my two cents. I haven't worked a game like this in a long, long time, so I could be way off on my assertation.

I'm so pleased that I don't work games like this anymore. No bleachers, so fans are right on the boundaries. Multiple gyms and multiple whistles. Back in the day, when I needed the money, and the experience, I worked these games, no more.

I would love to tell the loudmouth knucklehead, #24, and the horse that he rode in on, to tuck in his jersey.

Yeah, I know that I'm tilting at windmills here, but the video was really difficult for me to watch.

I would expect sportsmanship like this in an outdoor playground game, on an asphalt court, maybe half court, with metal chain nets, skins versus shirts, with no officials in sight, with kids just playing for the right to stay on the court for the "next game".

I would not expect sportsmanship like this inside a gym, on a real court, with real uniforms, with a scoreboard, with a scorekeeper, with coaches, and with three officials.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Q...=0&w=416&h=167

JRutledge Tue Sep 18, 2018 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1024540)
I'm fairly certain that it's not the officials who allow the players to wear illegal undershirts, it's most likely the host AAU organization (game management) that instructs the officials not to enforce the rule (maybe teams have reversible jerseys, and don't know in advance what color jersey, or undershirt, they'll be wearing from game to game). So I find fault with game management, not the officials.

If you are familiar with any AAU or travel-like tournaments, the point is to have kids play. There is no emphasis on having proper jerseys as stated in the NF or NCAA Rules in most of these events. It is not totally unusual to get numbers that are higher than 5 sometimes as well. Honestly, no one cares about these rules other than a state or NCAA when they are playing their particular contests. So even trying to put some standard that no one cares about is rather silly if you understand the purpose of these tournaments. Most officials in "real" games do not care, so why would some off-season tournament that does not even influence someone's career in a positive or negative way by doing these games?

Peace

BillyMac Tue Sep 18, 2018 09:25am

Tilt At Windmills ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1024581)
If you are familiar with any AAU ...

I'm not, at least not recently, as stated in my post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1024540)
... I could be wrong ... Just my two cents. I haven't worked a game like this in a long, long time, so I could be way off on my assertation ... I don't work games like this anymore ... no more ... Yeah, I know that I'm tilting at windmills here ...

This idiom definition (below), with my post quote (above), pretty much says that your post isn't off the mark.

Tilt At Windmills: To waste time fighting enemies or trying to resolve issues that are imaginary, not as important, or impossible to overcome.

If I ever found myself working an AAU game, which will never happen, I would certainly just follow the rules that game management wants me to enforce. No more, no less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1024581)
Most officials in "real" games do not care ...

Only regarding high school interscholastic games (not AAU), with your experience and success, I would certainly believe that this isn't you. Nor would I believe that you, as a clinician/trainer would instruct your members to ignore this aspect of the high school interscholastic game, and would point out any problems if someone you were evaluating choses to ignore this issue in said games. It wouldn't be the most important issue to critic (it may be the least important), but it should be, at least, mentioned, especially since it's such as easy rule to understand now that the NFHS has decided to completely remove the phrase "school color" from the rulebook.

If by "most" you mean over 50%, I would say that you're a little off with you're math, but not by much.

I pains me to say this, but many of our local subvarsity guys, and a few varsity guys, choose to ignore such rules (undershirts) in high school interscholastic games. Having served on our two main training committees (rules and mechanics), I know that that's not what they were trained to do. Some may not completely understand such rules, some aren't observant enough to enforce such rules, and some simply chose to ignore such rules.

Raymond Tue Sep 18, 2018 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1024585)
I'm not, at least not recently.

Tilt At Windmills: To waste time fighting enemies or trying to resolve issues that are imaginary, not as important, or impossible to overcome.

Did somebody here need a clarification as to what "tilting at windmills" means? :confused:

JRutledge Tue Sep 18, 2018 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1024585)
Only regarding high school interscholastic games (not AAU), with your experience and success, I would certainly believe that this isn't you. Nor do I believe that you, as a clinician/trainer would instruct your members to ignore this aspect of the interscholastic game, and would point out any problems if someone you were evaluating choses to ignore this issue.

I pains me to say this, but many of our subvarsity guys, and a few varsity guys, choose to ignore such.

During summer games we do not tell players to be in specific uniforms for the most obvious reasons. Most of the time you might not even have normal rules you are playing by, like players will not foul out. It is not unusual to not even have numbers on the jerseys used.

This was not a regular game situation (that was obvious), the officials were in shorts. I doubt anyone cared about an undershirt in this situation or many other rules. Sometimes you do not even have regular bench areas and I doubt anyone in their right mind is expecting someone to stay in a coaching box either. You might be lucky if you even have a coaching box at all.

Peace

BillyMac Tue Sep 18, 2018 09:55am

Rose Colored Glasses ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1024588)
Did somebody here need a clarification as to what "tilting at windmills" means?

Possibly, or maybe some didn't understand that my original post was just me giving my opinion on something as one who sometimes views the game through rose colored glasses.

I always knew that my issue was a waste of time, not very important, and almost impossible to overcome.

But I guess that I had to be reminded.

Maybe my original post didn't say that in a clear enough manner?

BillyMac Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:04am

Edgar Allan Poe On The Forum, How Cool Is That ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1024592)
Sometimes you do not even have regular bench areas ...

When I did work AAU games, which was many, many years ago, I worked a game where the benches were on opposite endlines, with the scorekeeper on one endline. Generated a lot of questions from coaches regarding who fouled, and also presented some problems getting substitutes into the game as quickly as the coaches wanted ("Subs. Subs. Subs."). Getting stuck working on one of the "middle" courts where whistles, and horns, could be heard from different directions was a real problem for some of the players, stopping for no reason other than that they assumed the whistle, or horn, was on their court.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore." (The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe, 1845)

Yeah, the raven got that right.

bucky Tue Sep 18, 2018 01:25pm

There is no question that AAU, summer camps, etc. have games where rules are vastly changed/modified to suit the venue. Indeed, officials too may be wearing shorts, shirts not tucked, non-black shoes, (I've seen some wearing hats) etc. in such venues. Die-hard and detailed rules are rarely enforced as the intent is to have players go up and down the court. Many times, AAU tournaments featuring high-profile players can get very rough but everyone understand the intent, including the players who usually are quite good about that type of play. If 2 post big/talented post players are banging each other all game long, with no ill will/intent, and the play is still good, nobody cares. As another example if 2 guards are really going at each other with hand checks and strong play, nobody cares. It is a time to really apply advantage/disadvantage principles.

I also find that there is a slight difference between "ignoring" and "not caring." I feel that ignoring involves being fully aware of something and intentionally not addressing it. In my area, many officials simply do not care about proper equipment/clothing. During warm-ups, they do not care to even look at players and how they are dressed. When it comes to knowing the rules about proper attire, they simply do not care to bother with reading them. I've questioned officials many times about a particular's player's attire and they have no clue if it is fully legal. Don't get me wrong, I certainly do not go searching for a player to bust for illegal attire either.

Just my quick 7 cents. Never understood why the phrase involved 2 cents. Billy, no need to give me an explanation to pad your posting stats as I am researching it on my own now, lol.