The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 06:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post

Either way, to answer your question, Assignor Y has been known to give certain people 50+ games (man has a lot games). So yeah, you can have a full schedule from one college assignor.
Yes, if an assignor has five or six conferences. But even in Assignor Y's case, a majority of the schools may be outside of reasonable driving range for some of his officials.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Yes, if an assignor has five or six conferences. But even in Assignor Y's case, a majority of the schools may be outside of reasonable driving range for some of his officials.

Hell, until recently I heard "reasonable driving range" wasn't in Y's vocabulary. But I concede the point. His is a special case.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2018, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I have recently been approved to join Cardinal Basketball Officials Association (IAABO Board 255), and I was curious to know who covers what parts of Northern Virginia. The list of associations on the VHSL website does give me a picture, but there are some things that I'm not sure about.

I know that Cardinal covers Fairfax County (including the independent cities of Fairfax and Falls Church), Alexandria, and Arlington County, but who covers Loudoun and Prince William Counties? Does Bull Run cover only Manassas Park and Manassas, or all of Prince William County?
CBOA has Fairfax and Loudoun County Public Schools as well as a couple private schools located in those counties. We also have a couple public schools in Prince William I think (I forget which ones) but most of PW county is covered by someone else.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2018, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

So you're in Cardinal as well, eh? Player989random told me that Forest Park was Cardinal, but all other PW schools are with Bull Run.

I probably won't be having games down there except for weekend, holiday tournament, or playoff games, but it'seems still good to know what I will and won't be expected to cover.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2018, 07:03pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I probably won't be having games down there except for weekend, holiday tournament, or playoff games, but it'seems still good to know what I will and won't be expected to cover.
Also, put a limit on the Arbiter distance you will go to do games. With officials covering this large an area, CBOA does a pretty good job honoring it and keeping you in your area. Especially since there are so many schools all over the place.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2018, 09:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Don't give out all your personal information on here, save that for Arbiter and your assignors.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Sep 13, 2018 at 02:49am.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2018, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

OK. Grunewar just said that I need to put limits on the distance that I'll go, and I told him that I already do. I don't believe that you go very far for high school either, even though you yourself belong to 2 HS associations.

I think I've found a balance between my availability and coverage ability for high school games.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2018, 10:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
OK. Grunewar just said that I need to put limits on the distance that I'll go, and I told him that I already do. I don't believe that you go very far for high school either, even though you yourself belong to 2 HS associations.

I think I've found a balance between my availability and coverage ability for high school games.
I resigned from one of my HS boards b/c I I'm tired of the traveling.

My point in your response to grunewar is that you need to stop giving out so many details about yourself. You could have answered his questions without putting all your specific mileage details.

Old Wed Sep 12, 2018, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Now I know that, I'll just say that I usually work games in and around the Beltway (Montgomery County and PG County in Maryland, DC, and Arlington, Alexandria, and Fairfax Counties in Virginia), with occasional weekday and weekend games beyond that radius. I've deleted the message with the specific distances.

Last edited by ilyazhito; Wed Sep 12, 2018 at 11:46pm.