The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 19, 2018, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think this is the part you seem to not get. Mechanics are often personal preferences. Someone suggests this should be done and they put it in a book to tell everyone they should do it that way. It does not mean there is not another way or a variation is a tragic event. Actually "walking and talking" can be good to speed up the process and get to the next situation quicker. But we have a reporting area and often people will not get there when they do not stop or try to report a basic foul. That is my experience, but not what you see asked for.

You are going to find many mechanics that have someone suggesting it should be done this specific way and others who will do something else thinking that way is more efficient. And many of those situations will never have an evaluator saying a word, not a single word either way. If I am acting as a clinician and I am talking to you about how you report fouls in that much detail, I am probably not finding much about your officiating to discuss. It does not mean I will not mention the mechanics you use, but it will not be an all-day focus unless I am clearly confused by your reporting process.

Peace
We strongly emphasize stopping to report here at the HS level. The purpose is twofold. First, you have a very large variety of table crews with widely varying levels of attentiveness and ability. Getting close enough (not too close) and stopping before reporting improves the communication from official to table. Second, many officials race through the whole thing. Making them come to a stop slows them down and, again, it improves the communication. And it will get mentioned on evaluations. Communication is a big part of what we do and not doing it clearly only causes trouble. However, at some level, when you get quality table crews and quality officials, the complications of walking and talking are not really a big deal anymore.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2018, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

This is a thing that I notice as an official that concerns me: bad communication. It may be surprising that I am the one saying this, because I have Asperger Syndrome, a developmental disability that affects communication, but I have been confused whenever I see bad communication among officials and between officials and auxiliary personnel (no signals about last second shots (1 minute, my responsibility), fast reporting without being in the reporting area (often occurs when HS officials try to walk and talk), not confirming communication signals, putting the ball in play with substitutes at the table, not confirming count/game situation ,etc.). This is especially when it happens on crews where I work, because I might not know whether the other officials understood me when they do not respond. Bad communication often happens together with bad mechanics (not stopping the clock when required, not sweeping the floor, unapproved signals) and bad positioning. These three things result in officials making incorrect rulings.

Mechanics like pointing at the shot clock or 1 finger in the air might look ridiculous, but they exist to promote awareness of the game situation (10 seconds on the shot clock and under 1 minute on the game clock respectively). Being aware allows officials to be in good position, such as the Lead knowing what is happening and rotating in a rotation situation, and his partners picking him up. Stopping the clock is both a mechanic required by rule and an awareness mechanic, to ensure that officials and the game clock operator know that the game clock should stop (or not start). This is why I might be willing to compromise on HS vs college foul signals, but not on communication or on stopping the clock. Ifor you are working with me, and you want to use specific communication signals that are not in the (HS/college) mechanics book, or use these signals in a way other than what is written, let me know, so that I can adjust.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2018, 10:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Serenity Prayer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
This is a thing that I notice as an official that concerns me: bad communication ...

Stop it. Just stop it. Please.

I know that it can be frustrating working with less capable partners, or observing less capable officials from your local association, but it's part of the job. We all have to do it at one time or another.

Don't worry about what others do wrong. Unless you're a trainer, clinician, evaluator, or assigner, these "bad" mechanics are out of your control.

If you know what's right, and what's expected of you, do those things. That is under your control.

If you want to nitpick yourself (like I do after every game) that's fine, but don't nitpick your partners, or others from your local association

If you want to offer others some constructive criticism (note I said some), face to face, to help them improve, that's fine, but don't nitpick them here on the Forum, or anywhere else for that matter. It's not constructive.

Everybody has to work with "bad" partners, it's part of the job. Work harder, overcompensate, be more vigilante, etc. Maybe these "bad" mechanic partners make up for it by being great officials in other aspects of the game, play calling, court coverage, game management, etc. Or maybe they're just great guys that people like being around, good sense of humor, caring, good story tellers, interested in their partner's lives, all around nice guys, etc.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. (Reinhold Niebuhr, 1892-1971)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 19, 2018 at 10:44pm.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2018, 10:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
We strongly emphasize stopping to report here at the HS level. The purpose is twofold. First, you have a very large variety of table crews with widely varying levels of attentiveness and ability. Getting close enough (not too close) and stopping before reporting improves the communication from official to table.
Well, that is the same case in most small college table personnel as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Second, many officials race through the whole thing. Making them come to a stop slows them down and, again, it improves the communication. And it will get mentioned on evaluations. Communication is a big part of what we do and not doing it clearly only causes trouble. However, at some level, when you get quality table crews and quality officials, the complications of walking and talking are not really a big deal anymore.
I do not think that has much to do with whether an official stops and reports. I see many officials stop and cannot report very clearly because they have clearly not practiced their mechanics or they are thinking too fast. I am not so sure that that is the reason many officials look sloppy.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 19, 2018, 10:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is That George Clooney ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I see many officials stop and cannot report very clearly because they have clearly not practiced their mechanics or they are thinking too fast.
It took me until New Year's Day last season to figure out how to do the new two hand reporting. The two hands part was easy. It was saying the numbers that was difficult, saying "Twenty-three" instead of saying "Two. Three", as I did for almost forty years. I even resorted to practicing in front of a mirror, but I just kept thinking to myself, "Hey, he's a pretty handsome guy".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is a thing that I notice as an official that concerns me: bad communication...
You shouldn't need to see one finger in the air to know that the game clock is under 1:00 and you shouldn't need to see the OTO indicating that he has the last-second shot to know that it's true. When you get to the varsity level, your partners will look at you like you're crazy if you act like you can't function without these visible signals. And based on your posts, you clearly psych yourself out over petty things that you have no control over. You keep talking about the G-league: have you noticed that NBA officials never hold one finger in the air at the end of a period? That's one of the many things you're going to have to get over if you want to advance.

Also, hate to break it to you but clock operators are not looking for our hand to stop the clock or looking for a chop to start it. They are listening for the whistle and watching for the ball to be touched. So, while it's all well and good to use these mechanics and they serve their purpose, let's stop pretending like they are more important than they are.

Also, I assume you are, for all intents and purposes, a sub-varsity official. You are going to have subpar partners who are poor communicators. And it will still be true when you get to the higher levels. The officiating Utopia that you desire is not going to happen, so you might as well stop worrying about it.

Again, as you move up, your play-calling and game management will be exponentially more important than the nitty-gritty of your mechanics. You don't seem to understand this as almost all of your posts have to do with opining about officials who don't follow their mechanics manuals to a T, rather than specific plays or situations to break down. Until you start putting more thought into the more important aspects of your game, you can kiss your dream of getting to college/G-league goodbye.

Last edited by SC Official; Mon Aug 20, 2018 at 08:09am.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Good communicators usually equal good officials, so how do higher level officials communicate, if not in the ways described in the manual? I've seen videos of varsity crews both using and not using the 1 minute and other communication signals, so it's not as if higher level crews toss the manual in the trash all the time.
That said, what do you do that differs from the book, and what is your thought process in doing so?
Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good communicators usually equal good officials, so how do higher level officials communicate, if not in the ways described in the manual? I've seen videos of varsity crews both using and not using the 1 minute and other communication signals, so it's not as if higher level crews toss the manual in the trash all the time.
That said, what do you do that differs from the book, and what is your thought process in doing so?
You said it, not me. No one ever suggested that the best officials ignore the manual.

I walk and talk to the table. On fouls going the other way, I often just step out to where the scorer can see me rather than going all the way to the reporting area. I seldom give a prelim unless it’s a block/charge play. I punch on player control fouls at the spot and give the weak “hand behind the head” to the table. Why? Because these are methods that work best for me and that I prefer to use. And I work in a state where very few officials (at least in my area) are gung-ho about everything needing to be followed from the NFHS Manual down to the fine print. Some states are not like that and if you want to advance in the postseason, they want everything done exactly the way it says in the manual. If I move to a state like that I will adjust accordingly.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

"what do you do that differs from the book, and what is your thought process in doing so?"

You have asked this question over and over, and it has been answered by experienced officials/posters many times. What works for SC or JRutledge, for example, may not work for you. What is required in BillyMac's little corner of Connecticut may not be required in your area.

To simplify, hopefully make this clear and stop further, similar questions: either (1) do what works best for you or (2) do what is required where you work.

Don't you have a mentor who can answer this repeated question in local context?
Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 11:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Good communicators usually equal good officials, so how do higher level officials communicate, if not in the ways described in the manual?
I agree with the statement in bold. But that does not mean this mechanic is considered good communication.

I do not communicate the time until about 30 seconds on the clock. There are multiple possible possessions with a minute to go. Usually around 30 seconds, teams start to settle for that last shot much more. A minute they might be trying to score quickly depending on the score and opportunity. You could have a few turnovers. It is best IMO to wait until what would be a shot clock time to signal to partners. You should be aware of the time anyway.

Quote:
I've seen videos of varsity crews both using and not using the 1 minute and other communication signals, so it's not as if higher level crews toss the manual in the trash all the time.
You are missing the point as you usually do in these situations. Yes, I have seen official do that and I have seen officials (many that I work with) never give the signal that early. Actually many guys I work college with refuse to signal that early because as I said, so many possessions can happen at that time. Then again in Illinois, we do not use the manual that way.

Quote:
I officiate to what works, half the time those things are not about what is in the book. One of these days you might realize that fact. The book is a guide for most things. It is not a document that does not have variations or even different philosophies of things people do on the court.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with your logic about 1 minute being too early unless you are in a college game or other game when the clock stops after scores (1 minute Q1/2/3, 2 minutes Q4/OT for pro-am under NBA rules, 2 minutes Q4/OT FIBA rules). I'll ask my local groups about alternate practices, but until I find out about that, I'll do what the book requires.

The material published by Referee is good, but it does not include a "Common Alternative Practices" or similar section. If I was publishing books like that, I'd survey officials, through a thread such as this or other means, and include other, off-book practices in an appendix (there would be a description of the officially approved, by-the-book procedure, and a reference to the appropriate part of the CAP section). This is also why I started this thread, to see what alternative practices exist, and if there differences between these practices at the high school, college, NBA, or FIBA levels (last two are less likely, because NBA and FIBA officials go through rigorous training when hired).

The reason why I mentioned the 1 finger for 1 minute and point at the shot clock at 10 second signals as communication signals is because I believe that is their purpose: to make oneself aware and inform the other officials. If there is another, hidden, purpose, let me know. I can't read between the lines because I don't have X-ray vision.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I agree with your logic about 1 minute being too early unless you are in a college game or other game when the clock stops after scores (1 minute Q1/2/3, 2 minutes Q4/OT for pro-am under NBA rules, 2 minutes Q4/OT FIBA rules). I'll ask my local groups about alternate practices, but until I find out about that, I'll do what the book requires.
OK, then why did you ask? You asked why those of us did something different and we told you. BTW, we have been telling you to ask people in your local area about these issues all along. I know based on your posts, many of us have worked much longer than you. So what we do in a college game or high school game is not something many of us worry about that much.

Quote:
The material published by Referee is good, but it does not include a "Common Alternative Practices" or similar section. If I was publishing books like that, I'd survey officials, through a thread such as this or other means, and include other, off-book practices in an appendix (there would be a description of the officially approved, by-the-book procedure, and a reference to the appropriate part of the CAP section). This is also why I started this thread, to see what alternative practices exist, and if there differences between these practices at the high school, college, NBA, or FIBA levels (last two are less likely, because NBA and FIBA officials go through rigorous training when hired).
But then you tell us what should be done based on your very limited experience. I would hope if you wrote a book on a topic, you did a bit more than survey some officials. I would hope you would have worked with hundreds of officials, been in several situations and then used that for the basis of your experience to share that experience. Many things are not listed in a book.

Quote:
The reason why I mentioned the 1 finger for 1 minute and point at the shot clock at 10 second signals as communication signals is because I believe that is their purpose: to make oneself aware and inform the other officials. If there is another, hidden, purpose, let me know. I can't read between the lines because I don't have X-ray vision.
Did you work a Men's college game yet? If you have not, then you probably would not know how little it was used or when it was used. Yes, it was a communication tool, but often used at certain times, not every time the clock is at 10 seconds, just like the 1 minute mark is not used for a signal. It is not like these things many of are telling you or that I am telling you has not been well thought out. Often many things are done for a very specific reason.

No one here in the end really cares what you do, but it often matters if you are making a mountain out of a molehill about things that are not going to be something anyone of significant cares about. I have never lost a single game because of these minor things were done or not done to the letter.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with your logic...
You're going to have to learn to be a lot more independent if you want to succeed in this business. For some reason you need everything spelled out for you, and if other officials aren't doing it the "approved" way, you ask loaded questions like "Why do officials deviate from the manual?" rather than inquiring about more meaningful information that will actually advance your career. And when experienced officials on this forum give you answers, you keep responding with "yeah, but" rebuttals and opining about your unrealistic utopia. That is going to be the downfall of your career if you try that at a camp or with an assigner. Officiating is not the military; we are not all going to do things that same way because we are not robots. Heck, just look at Rich: he's an assigner for >20 schools and doesn't care what signals his staff uses. He cares if his guys are good at calling plays and game management (i.e. exactly what everyone on here has been telling you).

You mentioned that you will go to your local groups: that is a good start, and quite frankly you will be best served taking all these repetitive inquiries there.

Quote:
That is all well and good and you are not wrong, but many officials/crews are completely capable of being aware of the situation without having to use all these signals that you think are sacrosanct and complain about when you see them not being used.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 03:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Utopia, Texas ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... you clearly psych yourself out over petty things that you have no control over ... You are going to have subpar partners who are poor communicators ... The officiating Utopia that you desire is not going to happen, so you might as well stop worrying about it ... almost all of your posts have to do with opining about officials who don't follow their mechanics manuals to a T, rather than specific plays or situations to break down.
Agree. Well worded.

Where is this Utopia that you speak of? Are they IAABO? Do they need any officials?

Even though everybody is still playing nice nice, with no name calling, etc., isn't it time for the moderators to close this thread so that ilyazhito can start new threads with actual specific plays to discuss?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 20, 2018 at 04:29pm.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 04:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stop It, Just Stop It, Please …

Quote:
(1 minute Q1/2/3, 2 minutes Q4/OT for pro-am under NBA rules, 2 minutes Q4/OT FIBA rules).
Stop trying to impress us with your knowledge of many rule sets. We are not impressed. Not one bit.

If you try to pull this malarkey (an Irish-American slang word, Google it) with the guys in your local association, they will try to avoid you like the plague. Don't expect any invitations to get adult beverages at the local gin joint after your Friday night games.

Quote:
... if there differences between these practices at the high school, college, NBA, or FIBA levels ...

If you're only doing high school games right now, just concentrate on high school rules and mechanics. If you've only been doing high school games for a few years, you've got a lot to learn, as all of us did when we first started. You can't ignore mechanics, but you can't obsess on them as you seem to want to. You've got hundreds of block charge plays to call correctly, or to screw the pooch. You've got dozens of out of control coaches to deal with, some will not be charged with technical fouls, some will be charged with technical fouls, and some will end up sitting on the cold bus in the parking lot. You've got a few correctable errors to correct, either correctly, or incorrectly. You've got to work a one person game when your partner gets a flat tire, gets injured, or there's schedule screwup.

Don't obsess about what signal to use when your working a Final Four college game. Don't obsess about where you're going to stand during a timeout when you work an Olympic championship game. Don't obsess about how you're going to rotate as the lead in an NBA championship game.

Worry about what's important and relevant, what you're going to try to improve on the next time you work a high school game. Maybe part of that will be high school mechanics, but that shouldn't be your exclusive concern, you need to improve on all aspects of your game.

We all do, even a veteran official like me.

Stop obsessing about how poorly your partners, and other members of your local association, are doing and worry about how poorly you're doing and what you can do to improve your game.

And again, if your local association wants you to go by the book, then go by the book. If they want you to do something else, then do something else. Do one, or do the other, but do not improvise, not at this critical stage of your officiating career.

Don't keep asking us what we do in our various little corners of our various states and provinces, what we do isn't relevant to you. Never will be.

If it was, I would tell you that's is alright to wear a black belt. Try that in and other place other than my little corner of Connecticut, and you'll be working a lot of middle school girls games.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 21, 2018 at 06:00am.