The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 22, 2018, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

I am also a perfectionist for things that I am passionate about (in this case basketball officiating). Otherwise I wouldn't be on this forum, reading the books, and asking so many questions about mechanics and other aspects of officiating.

Now I know to just fall back on the book when in doubt, because if I am working with people that I do not know, they will understand when I use mechanics as in whatever the appropriate manual for the type of game is.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2018, 12:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I am also a perfectionist for things that I am passionate about (in this case basketball officiating). Otherwise I wouldn't be on this forum, reading the books, and asking so many questions about mechanics and other aspects of officiating.

Now I know to just fall back on the book when in doubt, because if I am working with people that I do not know, they will understand when I use mechanics as in whatever the appropriate manual for the type of game is.
Being on this forum should be a tool, not the end all be all of your officiating experience. That is kind of the point of what most of us have been trying to say to you here. And as you get more experience, you will see what is important to those all over the place and what is not at all important. Many of these things you ask you, might be individually important, but not important to everyone that officiates. Either way, you will have to adjust. Good luck with what you do.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 22, 2018, 02:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

How Do You Find Out ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Good thought, but remember, in regard to high school games, your local association may do some things differently than the manual. It's up to you to find out when to follow the manual, and when to do otherwise. How do you find out? Think back to your local association's original floor training. Listen to your local interpreter/trainer/clinician during the training part of your regular association meetings. Directly ask your local interpreter/trainer/clinician if you have any mechanics questions (rather than asking us here on the Forum).

I'm lucky in that my local board follows the IAABO manual 98% of the time, so if I have a question, I can just look it up. But we do differ in a few aspects of mechanics. For example, we point to floor for two point field goal try when shooter has a foot touching three point line. You won't find that in the IAABO Mechanics Manual.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Aug 22, 2018 at 04:49pm.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2018, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For example, we point to floor for two point field goal try when shooter has a foot touching three point line.
FTR I do this and it's not in the NFHS manual (which we use in SC) nor explicitly approved by our powers-that-be. So, this would be one example where an official (me) uses an "unapproved" signal, but nobody who matters is going to lose sleep over it.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2018, 03:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bona Fide ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... nor explicitly approved by our powers-that-be.
The "touching the three point line" signal is unapproved by IAABO International, but is 100% bona fide approved by our Connecticut State board, as well as our local board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... an official (me) uses an "unapproved" signal ...

It's the ultimate punishment for a basketball official.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Aug 22, 2018 at 03:07pm.